'Corrupt Disk' sh*t

Pilko

For Google Chrome and MSN Messenger, every 15 seconds or so, I get a popup saying

*name of program.exe* - Corrupt Disk

The file system structure on this disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the Chkdsk utility on the volume C:.

It's a vista laptop fwiw. What the fuck does it mean, and what should I do? It keeps coming back all the time, getting on me wick now.

Is it only on these two programs? Sure it's not something else in the background, do both have to be open when it happens?

The error sounds like a bad sector when reading the disc, maybe both parts are stored in a damaged sector, you could try and uninstall both, run disc frag, then install them again, disc frag should fix or isolate bad sectors, but if its a big chunk it will only get worse and usually the hdd dies taking all data with it.

Could be something else entirely mind, I always assume the worst and when it's not feel like live won.  :lol:

Aye. Take it from someone who's hard drive just failed, back everything you could possibly need now. From what I've been reading up on it, as soon as sectors are fucking up, it's a matter of time before the whole thing is unuseable. I managed to hook mine up to this computer, but had no space to transfer my music. Since attempting to run chkdsk, which failed, it's completely fucked it and I have lost that 60GB of music.

There's my fantastic method of putting shit off as long as possible until there's no way of dealing with it rearing it's ugly head again.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine has just failed on my PC, I think. Still under warranty (had it just over a year) but given that I'll have to pay the p&p to get it back to MESH, I don't know whether just to sort it myself. Could I take the HD out, plug it into the laptop via USB and transfer what I need off or would it be doubtful that it would be recognized due to it having failed? Got some little videos on there of the bairn that I wouldn't mind keeping. Serves myself right for not backing up! :(

Mine has just failed on my PC, I think. Still under warranty (had it just over a year) but given that I'll have to pay the p&p to get it back to MESH, I don't know whether just to sort it myself. Could I take the HD out, plug it into the laptop via USB and transfer what I need off or would it be doubtful that it would be recognized due to it having failed? Got some little videos on there of the bairn that I wouldn't mind keeping. Serves myself right for not backing up! :(

Try it mate. :thup: If you havn't got anything to hook it up, you can buy caddies with a USB connection for a fiver off EBay. As said above, done the same. Except I didn't have the space on the computer to move my music over. Whatever you do, don't do a chkdsk imo. If it gets to that point, my opinion would be leave it to a professional. 'Cause if the chkdsk fucks up, it's a very high chance your hard drive will be absolutely fucked beyond even being able to get files off it. But that's my own idiocy that. It's probably piss easy to sort but I managed to fuck it royally.