Documentary on Drugs - Millwall doped striker, Owen takes drugs banned in US

James

No point in making documentories if no one is named. Whats the point in calling them player A and player B ffs how do we know who they are. Waste of time these documentories are unless you have hard up evidence and can name someone without worrying about the legal bit

Guest Stephen927

Watched the first 20 minutes. They named Gary O'Connor and Elvis Hammond so I turned it off. You can't go better than Elvis Hammond from that point on.

There were quite a few interesting points to be honest but I think you needed to be less interested in the names and already have some understanding of the issue to get the full benefit from the programme.

The first that clubs have a habit of keeping bans quiet and not telling anyone, even clubs they move to. Alex McLeish openly lied about it.

The second that three England internationals have tested for four times the expected level of testosterone, the scientists asked the FA to conduct more tests, the FA did not.

The third is that the number of tests a player will take a year is significantly lowe than for other sports and even other leagues.

The fourth is that a number of PL footballers including Michael Owen are clients of a dodgy German doctor who administers drugs banned in the United States. These players take the drugs without asking what they are. Man Utd and Chelsea doctors attend his conference events.

The fifth is an interview from a former Chelsea medical staff employee who refused to intravenously drip iron into players bloodstreams (now banned) under Ranieri. During the height of the known Italian doping problems, Ranieri had a medical room set up in Stamford Bridge that the existing Chelsea medical staff were not allowed into. Most of these medical staff have signed gagging orders but the existence of this place was confirmed by former Chelsea youth player Leon Knight.

The sixth is that Leon Knight saw teammates at various clubs take drugs. One day, the dopers turned up and a club conspired to smuggle this player out of the training ground without the testers finding him.

The seventh is a testimony from an ex-Millwall player who was tricked into taking performance enhancing drugs by Millwall medical staff. His suspicious manager even asked if he was taking something. It was only later in his career after the player's best ever season where he scored 17 goals in the Championship that he found out he was being given drugs.

The eight is that if the FA turn up at a training ground asking to test someone, the club sometimes say the player isn't there and the dopers go away without seeking out the player. This happenned with 20 PL players including 3 NUFC players.

The ninth is that the Sporting Chance clinic have according to the man who runs it treated several PL footballers with steroid addictions, the worst case was put on the steroids by his football club.

There were quite a few interesting points to be honest but I think you needed to be less interested in the names and already have some understanding of the issue to get the full benefit from the programme.

The first that clubs have a habit of keeping bans quiet and not telling anyone, even clubs they move to. Alex McLeish openly lied about it.

The second that three England internationals have tested for four times the expected level of testosterone, the scientists asked the FA to conduct more tests, the FA did not.

The third is that the number of tests a player will take a year is significantly lowe than for other sports and even other leagues.

The fourth is that a number of PL footballers including Michael Owen are clients of a dodgy German doctor who administers drugs banned in the United States. These players take the drugs without asking what they are. Man Utd and Chelsea doctors attend his conference events.

The fifth is an interview from a former Chelsea medical staff employee who refused to intravenously drip iron into players bloodstreams (now banned) under Ranieri. During the height of the known Italian doping problems, Ranieri had a medical room set up in Stamford Bridge that the existing Chelsea medical staff were not allowed into. Most of these medical staff have signed gagging orders but the existence of this place was confirmed by former Chelsea youth player Leon Knight.

The sixth is that Leon Knight saw teammates at various clubs take drugs. One day, the dopers turned up and a club conspired to smuggle this player out of the training ground without the testers finding him.

The seventh is a testimony from an ex-Millwall player who was tricked into taking performance enhancing drugs by Millwall medical staff. His suspicious manager even asked if he was taking something. It was only later in his career after the player's best ever season where he scored 17 goals in the Championship that he found out he was being given drugs.

The eight is that if the FA turn up at a training ground asking to test someone, the club sometimes say the player isn't there and the dopers go away without seeking out the player. This happenned with 20 PL players including 3 NUFC players.

The ninth is that the Sporting Chance clinic have according to the man who runs it treated several PL footballers with steroid addictions, the worst case was put on the steroids by his football club.

Thanks for this.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

So, hypothetically speaking, say Michael Owen was on steroids, would that explain his muscle/ligament issues? Could also explain why he hasn't really been near a football pitch in 4 years?

Was always going to happen sometimes in football. In case of drugs, everybody is only talking about cycling or running and all that.

That hundreds of blood bags were found at Fuentes place from Barcelona and maybe even Real Madrid hardly ever gets a mention.

Was always going to happen sometimes in football. In case of drugs, everybody is only talking about cycling or running and all that.

That hundreds of blood bags were found at Fuentes place from Barcelona and maybe even Real Madrid hardly ever gets a mention.

Barcelona offered Fuentes a job but he preferred to work freelance.

To be honest they could have done better with the documentary too much time was spent on Elvis Hammond which spoilt the revelations in the eyes of the audience.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Thought I'd bump this again considering the comments from Owen Hargreaves about the Man U Medical Staff in today's papers.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3830498/Owen-Hargreaves-My-injection-hell-at-Manchester-United.html

OWEN HARGREAVES last night claimed he felt like a 'guinea pig' as Manchester United tried to end his injury nightmare.

The former Old Trafford and England star lifted the lid on three years of pain as he struggled to overcome crippling knee tendon problems.

United battled hard to save their £17million signing from Bayern Munich, who even received injections to help overcome the agony of his injuries.

And although United's record for treating players is exemplary, and there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Hargreaves was misdiagnosed or improperly treated, the player remains disillusioned.

The 30-year-old spoke after making a spectacular comeback on Wednesday with his new club Manchester City, scoring the opener in their 2-0 Carling Cup win over Birmingham.

Hargreaves joined United in the summer of 2007 but saw his career disintegrate after his first year there.

He played six minutes of first-team football in three years. Hargreaves recalled: "After my first season, I had a bit of a tendon problem, which I did not realise the magnitude of.

"I played and it got a little bit worse. We treated it and it got significantly worse after that through the injections I had."

Hargreaves claims he was encouraged to accept the injections by United in the belief they would assist his condition.

He added: "All the people there are lovely. Everybody tries their best.

"They said it would help. That obviously wasn't the case.

"With my tendon injury, I've had to be a guinea pig for a lot of these treatments.

"You're left to try and make something of a difficult situation.

"Basically I wanted to play, everyone wanted me to play, so it's not really an option to say sit it out and rest for six months.

"With hindsight, it's a lot easier. Yep, probably the injections I had, I should probably not have had.

"I received some injections and after that my tendon was never the same.

"After the injections, I tried to get back on my feet, but it felt like I was made out of glass. That obviously had a huge impact.

"Basically, I was left to pick up the pieces, which was incredibly frustrating. That was surgery and that was 18 months gone.

"So at times, I'd watch games and be jealous of the way people could move, as funny as that sounds.

"I wondered if I was going to be able to be as sharp."

An interesting defence of his guys by Ferguson: "As far as I am concerned my medical staff is one of the main reasons why we have been so successful over the last few years." One of the main reasons? A little flash in which we see the reality of 'medical help' in football.