How to try and increase your broadband speed

Dave

If you are on an 'up to xmb' broadband package, try plugging your router into the test socket, that is the socket behind the screwed panel:

http://img433.imageshack.us/img433/4705/nte5faceoffju9ya1.jpg

This isolates the entire wiring system of your house (including any rubbishy extension leads you may have), and shows your true maximum theoretical connection rate. Mine jumped from ~2800kbps (2.5mb download speed) to ~5500kbps (5mb+ download speed). :)

If this works, think about getting a new faceplate for your BT socket:

http://img433.imageshack.us/img433/4719/faceplateon4.jpg

They cost about £12 and have an ADSL filter built-in, doing away with the shitty things broadband suppliers provide. They just replace the screwed panel I referred to above, fitting onto the backbox.

This means you can get near to the real maximum speed rather than losing speed to any crappy internal house wiring. :thup:

See here for more details: http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

It all depends on the distance from your local exchange, but if you think you should be getting more, give it a try. If you know how to find your line attenuation via your router, there are approximate details on another site. Hang on a bit.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

My main problem is that my phone socket is downstairs and the main PC is in my room upstairs, so a telephone extension had to be run upstairs. I reckon this is in all likelyhood slowing my connection. I tried putting the router just by the phone socket and running a temporary 10 metre network cable upstairs but it didn't speed it up much, if at all. I'm sure I should be gettin better results than this!

Hmm, the site isn't working at the moment for some reason. Anyway, there is no harm in trying. The only problem I have is that currently my wireless router is upstairs with my PC. To do this I am having to put my router downstairs and connect to it wirelessly. This costs £20 via a USB wireless dongle. Nothing really, for a double in speed.

My main problem is that my phone socket is downstairs and the main PC is in my room upstairs, so a telephone extension had to be run upstairs. I reckon this is in all likelyhood slowing my connection. I tried putting the router just by the phone socket and running a temporary 10 metre network cable upstairs but it didn't speed it up much, if at all. I'm sure I should be gettin better results than this!

I tried that, same result.

The key is plugging into the TEST socket, behind the normal one.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Wireless is the way forward but its too expensive to set up at the minute for me.

Is it still around £70ish for a wireless router and 2x wireless cards for PCs?

Telephone extension wiring will NOT effect your download speed.

The only problem you are likely to encounter would be with a DIY extension kit that was sold by BT a few years ago.

The wiring was fine for analogue voice operating over a 4 khz bandwidth but pretty cack for anything above that.

A professionally installed extension will give you no problems (the wiring is 0.5 mm which is more or less the same as the cable connecting you to BT's exchange.

So rigging up 10m CAT5 leads will not make the slightest bit of difference in most cases

Dave

The new NTE5 cover may have a more advanced filter than the ones supplied with your ADSL router

That could explain your extra speed, but its certainly not down to the extension wiring the new cover bypasses (unless its one of them shitty DIY kits I mentioned earlier)

The new cover hasn't been delivered yet, my doubling was with the filter supplied by my ISP, but straight into the test socket rather than simply into the main socket.

Maybe I just do have shit wiring. Oh well, like I say, it works for me, just spreading the word.

BTW its worth taking the second faceplate off to check that no lazy bastard has teed an extension connection behind it.

I've been in telecoms for 26 years now and in my time I have seen some horror stories when it comes to dodgy extension wiring.

It would be totally unprofessional of me to name names but stay away from that prick Mr Wheeler who advertises in the shields gazette

I've fixed his work before. One house in particular had the extension wiring connection under the floorboards secured by sellotape

What a guy

BTW its worth taking the second faceplate off to check that no lazy bastard has teed an extension connection behind it.

That could well be it, in which case my point still stands - this could increase your speed if you have things slowing it down, like shit extensions. AFAIK, the filter will cut out the extension, meaning your broadband is the maximum it can be. The new faceplace is neater and will have a better filter anyway, and they hardly cost the Earth.

Edited the title so it's less 'matter-of-fact' though. :thup:

Looks interesting. Bookmarked for when I get home. I should be getting up to 8meg but only gettin 3/4 in reality.

Attenuation.............Approximate Line Length............Potential Connection Speed

32db...................................2.3km.....................................16000kbps

35db...................................2.5km.....................................14500kbps

40db...................................2.9km.....................................11800kbps

45db...................................3.2km.......................................8500kbps

50db...................................3.6km.......................................6500kbps

55db...................................4.0km.......................................4500kbps

60db...................................4.3km.......................................3200kbps

65db...................................4.7km.......................................2000kbps

My attenuation is 50.5db, so I should be getting much more than I am at present. The above table is correct as taking the extension out of the equation I get ~5500kbps.

PS - 2Sheds, please check your PMs.