Fabio Cannavaro

Guest BooBoo

Remember he was linked with Fulham in the summer?

Two of my work mates got the hump when i laughed off that rumour, one of them works on my team and believes EVERYTHING thats printed in papers like the sun  bluesigh.gif

Guest Ridzuan

Like Ive said many times,he is the best defender there is right now and I think he truly deserved to be named European Footballer of the Year after his excellent performance in the last World Cup.Im very happy and proud for him.Well done lad.  :thup:

over rated, Henry deserved it more. Cannavaro was good in a solid backfour of Italy and Juventus. Henry could win game single handedly for Arsenal and is often influential even when he played in a very young Arsenal team.

over rated, Henry deserved it more. Cannavaro was good in a solid backfour of Italy and Juventus. Henry could win game single handedly for Arsenal and is often influential even when he played in a very young Arsenal team.

Henry is living off reputation at the moment imo, hasnt played anything like as well as he can for a long while. Seems to have lost alot of hunger/motivation.

Henry is living off reputation at the moment imo, hasnt played anything like as well as he can for a long while. Seems to have lost alot of hunger/motivation.

he chokes on the big occasion too, ie: Champions League final, World Cup final etc.

Alpal I 100% agree with you pal.

"But for me there's only one candidate this year, it's Thierry Henry. He just deserves it. He was the best goal scorer in England, best player in England, best goal scorer in Europe behind Luca Toni, he played the Champions League final and he played the World Cup final.''

Wenger is a nob, but I completely agree with these sentiments.  He dragged Arsenal who were fancied by no one to the CL final, and for people above to say he choked?!?!  He had a decent game, and if Henry choked, what the fuck did Ronaldinho do in that final?  Henry was far better, and if he had've scored that one on one to make it 2-0 beyond doubt he would've won the award.  I detest Italy and Italian football, but the one person I respect is Fabio Cannavaro, I think he's their best player since Baggio, however, as good as he is, he plays in a fantastic back four, while Henry was and is the key player for France, and both sides are more reliant on him than Italy/Juventus FC/Real are on Canna.

Cannavaro is so overrated. He is good undoubtedly, but he does not deserve the Golden Ball reward. If Buffon wasn't in the goal Italy would have conceded a lot more. What excatly has Cannavaro achieved in last football year? In Juventus he is lucky to have Thuram beside him and Buffon behind him. In the world cup he is lucky to have Materrazi Buffon behind him. Is Cannavaro any better than Thuram, Materrazi (in the world cup) and Buffon?

In the final France were the better side who lost via penalty. If France had won the game would Cannavaro still win this Golden Ball? There might not be standing out candidate this year but in my opinion Cannavaro won the award simply because he is the captain of the world cup winning side.

By the way, Cannavaro has not been brilliant for Real Madrid so far.

Cannavaro is so overrated. He is good undoubtedly, but he does not deserve the Golden Ball reward. If Buffon wasn't in the goal Italy would have conceded a lot more. What excatly has Cannavaro achieved in last football year? In Juventus he is lucky to have Thuram beside him and Buffon behind him. In the world cup he is lucky to have Materrazi Buffon behind him. Is Cannavaro any better than Thuram, Materrazi (in the world cup) and Buffon?

In the final France were the better side who lost via penalty. If France had won the game would Cannavaro still win this Golden Ball? There might not be standing out candidate this year but in my opinion Cannavaro won the award simply because he is the captain of the world cup winning side.

Better than Bramble tbh.

Wenger: Henry deserved award, not Cannavaro

I don't disagree.

Wenger: Henry deserved award, not Cannavaro

Arsene Wenger has insisted it was a 'mistake' not to name Arsenal captain Thierry Henry as European Player of the Year - and that the World Cup was 'lowest level' of football.

Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro took the prestigious Ballon D'Or - awarded by France Football magazine - ahead of countryman and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, both of whom tasted success in Germany this summer.

France striker Henry, 29, meanwhile, was third - despite having helped Arsenal reach their first European Cup final and also reaching the World Cup final for a second time with Les Blues.

For Wenger, the decision was unjust.

'It is a mistake,' declared the Arsenal manager.

'It shows that the people who vote look only at the World Cup, which when you speak about elite football, in my opinion, is the lowest level in football that you can see at the moment.

'They make their decision on that.'

Wenger continued: 'If you see Italy playing against Togo or South Korea you cannot say that Cannavaro has a good game or even Thierry Henry has a good game, that he is the best player in the world - look at the players he plays against.

'To be consistent in a big championship like in England or in the Champions League for me would be much more appropriate than three weeks in the World Cup.'

Better than Bramble tbh.

To be honest Dave, there is at least one similiarity between the two. In the game I watched btw Madrid againt Kiev in the CL, Cannavaro made a full blooded lunge at their striker at the halfway line and in Bramblesque style completely missed leavng the striker free. It was a good thing that he had Casillas behind him who saved the one on one.

Can't believe someone won Europe's top player on the basis of the world cup, like Wenger said, the Premier league and CL are more difficult platforms for excellence. Even in the WC, I felt Thuram was the best defender!

Guest Ridzuan

They can talk and argue whatever they want,but at the end of the day,the result is out and Fabio Cannavaro is the winner.Thier arguments will not change anything.

Yes, no suprise Wenger and Domenech are throwing their toys out of the pram :lol:

nah - and it is really fucking annoying. please note that all the "objectors" are french....

Yes, no suprise Wenger and Domenech are throwing their toys out of the pram :lol:

nah - and it is really fucking annoying. please note that all the "objectors" are french....

Well of course they are! That's why it's so funny... Then you have Arsenal fanboys using their comments as irrefutable proof that Henry should have walked it.