Syndicate (allegedly) - Don't look if you loved the original.

Spider Jerusalem

Starbreeze defends new Syndicate FPS

Renowned developer Starbreeze (Darkness, Riddick) has defended its decision to make the new Syndicate game a first-person shooter.

Speaking to OXM, game director Neil McEwan said "time has moved on".

"It was always going to be an FPS," he revealed. "The original nub of the idea was to take that viewpoint from the original game and zoom into the Agent's head, and play that part. A closer experience - to become one of those Agents."

"[Our] game speaks for itself. We've been very lucky to work with a great, original world, and create another facet of it really. I would love [fans of the original] to like it. You're never going to please everyone.

"I don't want people to stop playing the old games," he added, "but time has moved on."

McEwan and team are "big fans" of the original, isometric, tactical 1993 Syndicate game - and are "definitely paying as much homage to it as we can". That homage will manifest through the "essence of the world" and your role as an Agent within it.

"That sounds wanky but it's true," remarked McEwan.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-13-starbreeze-defends-new-syndicate-fps

Most pointless reboot ever - so all that they've taken from this classic is the name and turned it into a FPS bearing no resemblance to the original the lazy fuckers.  You can say what you want about Molyneux not delivering (and I generally do when I hear his name) , but I think if he'd been given the reigns to do this it would have been a hell of a lot more imaginitve than a bastard FPS.

So they're just using the name.

It'll guarantee sales I suppose.

Nah.

I shit my pants when they started working on Shadowrun again.

Then I saw what they did with it.

Names like these only mean things to old fuckers. Should just have gone with an original IP if they have no plans to actually remake/reimagine the original for modern systems.

How will it guarantee more sales? It means nothing to the new generation, and the people that actually remember are probably pissed that they've wasted an opportunity to reinvigorate an obscure product.

It gets them more attention, but when the attention is negative, is it worth it?

Shadowrun was decent, even if it had nothing to do with the original.

:lol: Motherfucker you are crazy. You don't know what they had a chance to do.

It'll get negative attention from a few die hards who shit themselves every time there's change.

Noone else will give a fuck, they'll just see the name syndicate and assume it'll be a great game.

Shadowrun was a great game, you obviously didn't buy or play it because it certainly wasn't shit.

It'll get negative attention from a few die hards who shit themselves every time there's change.

Noone else will give a fuck, they'll just see the name syndicate and assume it'll be a great game.

It was a great game, you obviously didn't buy or play it because it certainly wasn't shit.

It's not about it being shit or good, it's about having an opportunity to rework something that worked brilliantly in an older generation and spurning the opportunity.

Say Mario Bros. didn't work out back in 85. It was fun, but more of a cult hit than the phenomenon it actually was.

Now in 2011, I buy the rights or whatever, and release...Mass Effect 2, but it's Mario.

I've made a good game, but I've completely wasted a chance to reinvigorate classic gameplay.

No matter what that recent Shadowrun was, it's nothing compared to what it could have been. It, like Syndicate here is shaping up to be, was a waste of a name.

Well let's see what this is like before writing it off :lol:

Developers (or should I say publishers) are scared to take chances and reinvigorate classic gameplay because it's too niche man, there's certain types of games that sell well and they're milking the shit out of it.

That's why I enjoy PC so much, loads of quirky types of games you just wont find in the console market.

Game budgets are too high, imo. Too much money at risk, so people that don't even play games are watching games and just taking ideas from top selling games and cramming them in their product.

Aye, you're spot on, when they're spending million and millions of dollars developing on a game they have to make sure they're making most of that back.. one of the best ways to do that is making a FPS :undecided: Sad but true.

Aye, because that shit would sell like hot cakes in this day and age :lol:

This. Syndicate/Syndicate Wars were class games, but there's no way any isometric strategy game is gonna move the units required in this day and age, I'm afraid. There's no reason that an FPS re-boot can't be good. The Darkness and Chronicles of Riddick were both good games, so not overly worried they'll fuck the IP up, tbh.

It's not the style that's the problem, it's the fact that sounds like it's got absolutely nothing in common with the original, i.e. using your squad of drones to infiltrate enemy territory as well as losing territories in an attempt at world domination.  'Borrowing' ideas from Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood would have been a better option, building up yourself locally then spreading out when you're strong enough, but having the option to assist with missions yourself rather than just getting reports back whether it was successful or not.

Similar to the UFO: Enemy Unknown "reboot", take a generic FPS, skin it to fit in with the original game's setting and market it using the original game's popularity.

According to the producers no one likes strategy games, which is probably something of a shock to the producers of Civilization and Starcraft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...