The role of the target man

TRon

Do we overhype it? Just watching Man U v Chelsea and I'm not sure I can see a player from either side who could be described as the traditional target man who holds the ball up and brings other players into play. Do we still put too much emphasis on a player's size and strength at Newcastle?

Guest Dontooner

Football has evolved so have the players.....No 9. for us could be some one who could score a bucket load of goals...

Still think we need a quick and fast striker...that could dribble...Maiga seem like a big lad that could run with the ball...

I'm thinking in terms of how we often have two 6ft plus strikers starting the game then wonder why there's no link between the midfield and forwards. The best teams don't play like this. Not that I have anything against big strikers if they are mobile, but I don't think that's the case with either Shola or Best.

Guest sydneycove

Rooney is a target man to be honest. Most the Man U attack centers around him, even when they attack down the wings Rooney is who they are looking to bring in to the attack. Yes it has evolved and is no longer lump it to the big guy and he holds the ball up but it is still there.

Drogba is the best modern target man since he has everything.  However, if a team wants to play a high tempo, quick, pass on the ground style, then a Rooney/Henry-type "target man" would be preferred over the likes of Carroll or Crouch. I actually think these two superstars redefine the role of target man nowadays.

I'm thinking in terms of how we often have two 6ft plus strikers starting the game then wonder why there's no link between the midfield and forwards. The best teams don't play like this. Not that I have anything against big strikers if they are mobile, but I don't think that's the case with either Shola or Best.

think you're being harsh on Best, he's actually quite deceptively mobile and agile for a big man.

Best is actually the only striker we got that can hold up play of any significance,  shola tries his best but is always left wanting. 

that turn and spin at QPR, that Leon Best did with an excellent shot to boot, only to be equalled by a great save,  alot of small pacey fowards couldn't do that.

but i agree i don't understand, with the last two managers, they had both favoured having tall robust fowards upfront.  CH had Carroll and Nolan just behind.  now pards is trying best with ba behind or shola.  its abit stagnating and old.    CH to a point i understood because the physicallity of the championship demanded big men that season, then we got promoted,. it was amazing last season on how badly opposition defenders could not cope with direct balls into the box, CH seized upon that, Carroll had a field day even at stamford bridge.

but i dont believe just because you play big men upfront it has to mean playing direct.  Having best and two attacking wide men beside him can do the trick for us.  something pards have not bothered trying.    we saw how well QPR passed it around when they had one single bean pole that is bothroid upfront ,  had that been carroll or best playing upfront for qpr that day they would have creamed all over us.

It's true football has evolved away from target men and more towards inside wingers scoring goals, but there of course has to be a whatever works attitude. With Cabaye HBA Marveaux etc hopefully we have enough to play good football that won't get found out against a team that won't be fooled by hoofing it up, and are solid at the back (Blackpool serves as a warning in a way against assuming good football will always work).

Possession game has got so good in Spain that it dries up any supply to a traditional target man, which is why it's dying out in Europe level football. Not sure defenses in english league good enough to make them so superfluous, but I also think that more teams in premier league play better we may develop some better england players, and it would be a waste of our players now to say, right hoof it up...

Rooney is a target man to be honest. Most the Man U attack centers around him, even when they attack down the wings Rooney is who they are looking to bring in to the attack. Yes it has evolved and is no longer lump it to the big guy and he holds the ball up but it is still there.

Looked at that way, you could say Torres is a target man as well, he also holds the ball well and brings others into play. The difference is both Rooney and Torres don't need to be huge as the ball is mostly played to feet. They can also run down channels and pick the ball up deep for the same reason. When we play two big men I think it's mostly because we plan of the big man flicking on the long balls and the other striker hopefully being somewhere close by.