Madrid

Belfast Boy

I'll post what Village Idiot told me...

Public transportation in Madrid is very good, so if you have a subway nearby (and there are a ton of them) you can easily get where you want rather easily. My favorite area to stay when I go to Madrid is the area around Ópera/Puerta del Sol/La Latina. You can find very cheap places (try to find reviews/photos of the place first, there are some gems but also some ratholes) and the area has *tons* of atmosphere and places to go out.

I used to work near Plaza de España in Madrid. Usually lots of cheap accommodation around so it's not surprising you found something there. Should be allright if you're not too picky but check photos/reviews of the place, some of those hostels are *very* old and not very clean. Very centric. Not the safest area in Madrid, be mindful of pickpocketing. Pickpocketing is very bad in the centric areas in Madrid. And the pickpockets there are damn good. Places were you would feel safe in (inside restaurants or hotels) are fair game. It's mostly - like in Barcelona- constricted to popular/crowded areas. Salamanca is a posh quarter in Madrid. Never found it a particularly great place to go around but the buildings and accommodation are probably newer and better.

The bit in bold is spot on. We stayed with a 2 min walk of Opéra and Sol metro stops (Room Mate Laura Hotel) and it was perfect. Madrid is spot on. Great bait/drink. Plenty to see no matter what you're into, cheap & easy to get around and most stuff is walkable anyway, decent weather (unless you're going in winter), affable locals. Dunno if your missus likes football but try and get to a game when you're there.

We are going the weekend of 26 Feb, Atletico are home to Barcelona. Where would you get tickets? The cheapest I have seen so far is £85 each.

I bought mine from http://www.servicaixa.com/nav/landings/en/deportes/entradas_atletico_de_madrid/index.html?loce=en-home-left-1-31-ATLTICODEMADRID Just pay for them on your card and then pick them up from the machine outside the ticket office at the ground as you would a train ticket here. Probably will be a bit more expensive with them playing Barça though. I paid €30 for a seat on the side in the uncovered stand when I went. Ground is easy enough to get too n all, just outside the centre but if you want to go I'd just keep an eye on that site a couple of months before you go.

Some amazing restaurants in Madrid, although quite pricey.  Botin - oldest restaurant in world apparently.  Iroco - real good inventive food.

Great views from bar called the Penthouse.  Roof terrace - looks out over Madrid.  http://www.memadrid.com/ThePenthouse.html.  Some great tapas in Plaza Santa Ana.

Royal palace is worth a visit, as is Prado.

Great, great city.

We are going the weekend of 26 Feb, Atletico are home to Barcelona. Where would you get tickets? The cheapest I have seen so far is £85 each.

I bought mine from http://www.servicaixa.com/nav/landings/en/deportes/entradas_atletico_de_madrid/index.html?loce=en-home-left-1-31-ATLTICODEMADRID Just pay for them on your card and then pick them up from the machine outside the ticket office at the ground as you would a train ticket here. Probably will be a bit more expensive with them playing Barça though. I paid €30 for a seat on the side in the uncovered stand when I went. Ground is easy enough to get too n all, just outside the centre but if you want to go I'd just keep an eye on that site a couple of months before you go.

Cheers, I will check that nearer the time. Thanks for all the recommendations to tapas bars etc too. The hotel we have booked seems to be a bit out the centre but that doesnt bother us. It is apparently a short walk and the metro is meant to be great too. Will be good to get away for a weekend without the kids for a change.