Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Imagine it's just a wind-up based on the fact they've been accused of being sock-puppets.

Glad someone is on the button :lol: that was far too easy. Top bombing ;)

EDIT: Someone on TT accused me of being Baggio last year :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Why Ashley really is one of the good guys

Outlook A while ago Labour leader Ed Miliband spoke of the difference between "good" business people and "bad" ones.

It is slightly surprising to report that Mike Ashley looks like he is firmly in the former camp. The retail tycoon floated his Sports Direct empire in 2007, cashing in towards £1 bn himself. He used the money to buy Newcastle United, among other things.

For quite a while after the float Ashley was loathed in the City as his shares crashed. His total disregard for corporate governance procedures and other City protocol had some questioning his integrity. He's a wrong 'un, went the whisper. Ashley's response was memorable. The complainers, he said, were just a bunch of cry babies. A reasonable point.

On Thursday Sports Direct will unveil half-year results that are likely to be strong. And next year's Olympics are just bound to be a boon to him. More than that, he treats staff well. They all get a bonus based on profits, which makes Sports Direct the John Lewis of the stock market.

Ashley did all of these things without the aid of Mary Portas. No bingo was required.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/simon-english-why-ashley-really-is-one-of-the-good-guys-6276598.html

And secondly, I gave you my word that as long as I remain owner, this Club would continue to be run responsibly at all levels. I hope you will accept that I have stood by that pledge.

2 years later - is his word worth anything?

Financially, the club has been run very responsibily - too much so for some supporters. Nevertheless, he's managed to make the club self-sufficient (by hook and/or crook) so we're not reliant upon an owner/bank to pay our wage bill.

Socially, the club seems to be setting a good example to the community with the Newcastle United Foundation, the players (exception of N.Ranger & perhaps D.Llambias - if you take much stock of the Mirror) have been well behaved (few tabloid headlines that seemed to dog us) and are setting a decent example on the pitch (no surrounding the ref, malicious play).

Morally - probably where Ashley has fallen short, by his attempts to sell off the naming rights for SJP and plastering the club with Sports Direct Logos. Some questionable attempts to engage the supporters by mass communication.

Why Ashley really is one of the good guys

Outlook A while ago Labour leader Ed Miliband spoke of the difference between "good" business people and "bad" ones.

It is slightly surprising to report that Mike Ashley looks like he is firmly in the former camp. The retail tycoon floated his Sports Direct empire in 2007, cashing in towards £1 bn himself. He used the money to buy Newcastle United, among other things.

For quite a while after the float Ashley was loathed in the City as his shares crashed. His total disregard for corporate governance procedures and other City protocol had some questioning his integrity. He's a wrong 'un, went the whisper. Ashley's response was memorable. The complainers, he said, were just a bunch of cry babies. A reasonable point.

On Thursday Sports Direct will unveil half-year results that are likely to be strong. And next year's Olympics are just bound to be a boon to him. More than that, he treats staff well. They all get a bonus based on profits, which makes Sports Direct the John Lewis of the stock market.

Ashley did all of these things without the aid of Mary Portas. No bingo was required.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/simon-english-why-ashley-really-is-one-of-the-good-guys-6276598.html

It's a fair point really, it's mainly the elite and the City that he's pissed off in the past.

Problem is in football the elite (agents, players, other owners) are inextricably linked to the normal people (fans) so you can't really correct or change your behaviour towards one without affecting the other quite badly.

Still think Ashley has it just about right in terms of finances, the only hard thing to get used to is the player sales aspect. But then at least we have players someone might want to buy now.

Much as I dont like it, I can stomach player sales as long as we've had a couple of good years out of them, they've helped us move forward and we have an extremely good production line coming through.

A conveyor belt for the big clubs. I can live with that.

Sports Direct boss set for bonus

(UKPA) – 1 hour ago 

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley is being lined up for a £12 million shares windfall after his Sports Direct chain reported more robust trading.

The group, which has 397 stores and owns brands including Slazenger, Donnay and Karrimor, said underlying earnings rose 2% to £139.2 million in the 26 weeks to October 23, keeping it on track for a full-year haul of £215 million.

That is a key milestone for the staff bonus scheme, but under new proposals the chain's executive deputy chairman, who currently receives no pay, stands to be granted six million shares, currently worth about £12 million, in 2018 if the group achieves £225 million this year and further stretching targets over the following two years.

Mr Ashley netted £929 million in a single day in February 2007 after selling 43% of the business he founded.

The group said retail revenues increased 8.2% to £697.1 million after a strong performance in an "especially fragile consumer environment".

Mr Ashley's 'super-stretch' targets, which would need the approval of shareholders next year, will only pay out if the company hits more demanding targets than those for its staff bonus scheme.

The group said Mr Ashley had not benefited under the previous scheme, which saw some 2,000 staff receive average share payouts worth more than £40,000 after the company hit its profits target for the second year in a row.

However, it declined to restart dividend payments despite its strong figures.

Shares rose 5% as the proposals were seen as a further sign of confidence from Sports Direct. It has put in consistently strong performances in recent months, despite the storm ripping through the high street.

Sports Direct attributes its success to its bonus scheme, which has helped incentivise its staff. Chief executive Dave Forsey said: "They have been a game changer for us in terms of hitting targets."

And secondly, I gave you my word that as long as I remain owner, this Club would continue to be run responsibly at all levels. I hope you will accept that I have stood by that pledge.

2 years later - is his word worth anything?

Financially, the club has been run very responsibily - too much so for some supporters. Nevertheless, he's managed to make the club self-sufficient (by hook and/or crook) so we're not reliant upon an owner/bank to pay our wage bill.

Socially, the club seems to be setting a good example to the community with the Newcastle United Foundation, the players (exception of N.Ranger & perhaps D.Llambias - if you take much stock of the Mirror) have been well behaved (few tabloid headlines that seemed to dog us) and are setting a decent example on the pitch (no surrounding the ref, malicious play).

Morally - probably where Ashley has fallen short, by his attempts to sell off the naming rights for SJP and plastering the club with Sports Direct Logos. Some questionable attempts to engage the supporters by mass communication.