Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I for one love a good slagging of Mike Ashley for whatever reason, stretched or not. Slander him and be sued for libel for all I care. I'm all for libel, slander, and all that other nonsense to that utter fucking prick.

Jesus christ man

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/mike-ashley-mash-holdings-includes-newcastle-united-see-latest-profits-double-256m/

The Profits at Mike Ashley MASH Holdings have seen profits double within a year, going up from a very healthy £130.6m to a whopping £256.4m.

The Mike Ashley MASH Holdings saw continued growth by Sports Direct International and right across his ever expanding range of brands. Newcastle United is part of MASH Holdings and the part it plays in helping to create those huge £256m profits can’t be underestimated, via the free marketing and profile that the football club gives the Mike Ashley empire.

mike ashley mash holdingsMASH Holdings is owned 100 per cent by Mike Ashley and the group profits before tax for the year up to April 2013 were £256.4m, with turnover also going up 18 per cent.

The accounts which have recently been filed, also show that MASH Holdings’ net assets rose by 68 per cent to £581.5m.

Things get even better for the Newcastle United owner as in the period since these accounts cover, the share price of Sports Direct has gone up by 75 per cent and so Ashley’s 62 per cent share of SD (owned via MASH Holdings) is on its own valued at £2.9bn on Wednesday’s closing share price.

You may have wondered about the reference to ‘group structure’  in answer to a question asked at the most recent Fans Forum;

Question: If Mike Ashley is committed to owning the club, why doesn’t he just write the debt off?

Answer: The board explained that it would be an option that some clubs would consider, but from the perspective of our group structure there is a requirement to have debt within the structure.

When ‘Group Structure’ is talked about by Ashley and his employees at Newcastle United, it is this ‘MASH Holdings’ that they are referring to, where the Newcastle United owner has grouped together the football club and his brands/shareholdings. The reason for having that debt inside Newcastle United is because for business reasons it suits Mike Ashley, not any kind of goodness of his heart towards our club or the fans.

The following explanation on ownership appears on the Newcastle United official website;

Newcastle United Limited is the company which owns Newcastle United Football Club. The ultimate parent company of Newcastle United is MASH Holdings Limited and the ultimate controlling party of MASH Holdings Limited is Mike Ashley.

Am I right in assuming that having negative equity in Newcastle United would absorb some of the taxes owed by MASH and by writing off the debt by absorbing it into MASH would cause him more losses in the long run? That would make sense as to why it's interest free and he's not looking to recoup any time soon? If he just adds it to the value of the club he can continue to use it as a sort of tax haven and ultimately not lose a penny if/when he sells up.

Am I right in assuming that having negative equity in Newcastle United would absorb some of the taxes owed by MASH and by writing off the debt by absorbing it into MASH would cause him more losses in the long run? That would make sense as to why it's interest free and he's not looking to recoup any time soon? If he just adds it to the value of the club he can continue to use it as a sort of tax haven and ultimately not lose a penny if/when he sells up.

The only time he will sell up, if ever.  Is when Newcastle United is no longer giving SD the exposure it wants.  I cant see this changing for a long time.  Sadly. 

So, for the older members on here, how does Ashleys era compare with direction and ownership in the 70's, 80's etc?

So, for the older members on here, how does Ashleys era compare with direction and ownership in the 70's, 80's etc?

Good question.

It was a football club back then with ambitions. Regardless of its position.

Good question.

Do you remember? I wasn't having a dig, I genuinely want to know.

Good question.

You're very passive aggressive.

Good question.

You're very passive aggressive.

Eh? I was being anything but, I was honestly asking.

Was pretty similar back in the 80's as I remember it, but there wasn't this feeling that we were being actively exploited, just that they powers that be were generally incompetent and unconcerned about the club.

Good question.

I was first taken to the match in 1982, whilst not attending all the time i still followed the club mainly through CP40 and our old man. You couldn't escape Newcastle Unitedin our house.

I rememeber the promotion with KK and Beardsley etc.  It seemed fantastic and the buzz of promption seemed magical to a kid.  I dont recal much grumbling about the board then...

I remember things getting a bit sour with Jack Charlton in charge and the club selling Waddle, Beardsley and Gazza..  Not suprised with Jack Charlton as manager... but I still think we were one of the highest spenders one season, under Willie McFall, and were then relegated.

I think a couple of failed promotions and money getting tight started with the McKeags...and fans wanted real change. 

But after all that it still felt like a football club, it still felt like it could be turned around.  The dream of ambition and wanting to improve was always there , the previous boards did try but didn't have any money.  But I dont think they were as sinister as Ashley's vision for NUFC.

For me now, the club feels empty, devoid of anything, sterile, its just an advertising space for its parent company. Its not going to change anytime soon.

Yeah, we are hovering around, lurking about he premiership...but to what end???

Its totally emotionless.

Good question.

I was first taken to the match in 1982, whilst not attending all the time i still followed the club mainly through CP40 and our old man. You couldn't escape Newcastle Unitedin our house.

I rememeber the promotion with KK and Beardsley etc.  It seemed fantastic and the buzz of promption seemed magical to a kid.  I dont recal much grumbling about the board then...

I remember things getting a bit sour with Jack Charlton in charge and the club selling Waddle, Beardsley and Gazza..  Not suprised with Jack Charlton as manager... but I still think we were one of the highest spenders one season, under Willie McFall, and were then relegated.

I think a couple of failed promotions and money getting tight started with the McKeags...and fans wanted real change. 

But after all that it still felt like a football club, it still felt like it could be turned around.  The dream of ambition and wanting to improve was always there , the previous boards did try but didn't have any money.  But I dont think they were as sinister as Ashley's vision for NUFC.

For me now, the club feels empty, devoid of anything, sterile, its just an advertising space for its parent company. Its not going to change anytime soon.

Yeah, we are hovering around, lurking about he premiership...but to what end???

Its totally emotionless.

That's what my curiosity was regarding. Right now, it really does feel absolutely pointless, and yet to anybody else but MA so obvious in how it can be improved; Actually spending money the club makes and having a real plan in place for some (any) form of progression. I'm in agreement about the purpose of the club being to advertise SD and to simply remain in the league. This is probably why the question of 'what would it take to get rid of MA' and relegation coming into the same subject for some people. We aren't going anywhere, are we? :(

having a real plan in place for some (any) form of progression

But progression to what? Champions League contention is essentially only for a self-perpetuating cohort of rich clubs. Europa League? A discredited farce of a tournament. Nothing more than a scrap thrown to second tier clubs. Even if you do progress through (at great expense and little reward) to the knock-out stages, stronger Champions League failures await to in all probability knock you out.

That leaves the League Cup and FA Cup. Take them more seriously by all means, but the chances of winning one is slim. It's all about the Top 4 and Champions League. Everything else has been deeply devalued.

Slim chances of winning? In the last ten years, Wigan, Portsmouth (twice), Cardiff, Millwall, Stoke, West Ham and Everton have all made the FA Cup final. Portsmouth and Wigan have won it. In the League Cup over that time finalists have included Swansea, Bradford, Cardiff, Birmingham, Aston Villa, Wigan, Middlesbrough and Bolton. And most recently Sunderland of course. Swansea, Birmingham and Middlesbrough have won it.

This idea that the cups are the preserve of the very top clubs is poppycock.

Slim chances of winning? In the last ten years, Wigan, Portsmouth (twice), Cardiff, Millwall, Stoke, West Ham and Everton have all made the FA Cup final. Portsmouth and Wigan have won it. In the League Cup over that time finalists have included Swansea, Bradford, Cardiff, Birmingham, Aston Villa, Wigan, Middlesbrough and Bolton. And most recently Sunderland of course. Swansea, Birmingham and Middlesbrough have won it.

Yep. Particularly this year, too. The draws have been excellent. Apart from us obviously; real shame we got the mighty Cardiff.

:frantic::frantic::frantic:

having a real plan in place for some (any) form of progression

But progression to what? Champions League contention is essentially only for a self-perpetuating cohort of rich clubs. Europa League? A discredited farce of a tournament. Nothing more than a scrap thrown to second tier clubs. Even if you do progress through (at great expense and little reward) to the knock-out stages, stronger Champions League failures await to in all probability knock you out.

Dave's covered the cup point but this is absolute bullshit as well. Even a cursory glance at the last 16 draw of the Europa League shows that it contains some of Europe's biggest clubs. The only ones who treat that competition as a "discredited farce" are Premier League clubs run like ours, who care only for how much money an extra league place can get them. You sound like you've been completely conned by the Premier League/Champions League hype machine, as if that's all that matters.

Even if all that you say were true, those experiences are what being a football supporter is all about. So we ran into a Champions League dropout and got knocked out. Oh well you're right, what a waste of time. Never mind that there were young Newcastle fans in Lisbon, in Moscow, in Brugge, seeing their club play in an environment that most football fans never get to experience. I went and watched Newcastle in a game we had no chance of winning in the Nou Camp ten years ago and it's still one of the best footballing experiences of my life, and always will be barring a miracle.

Absolutely rank attitude, and one that far too many of our supporters have (somehow) acquired. No wonder the club think they've got free licence to bin off every competition whilst some of our fans are applauding them for it. Christ knows what fans of perennial Championship clubs must think of us when they see our fans giving it "ugh Europe again, what a farce". It's embarrassing.

FWIW I think the Europa League does have some massive flaws. Misguided shite like letting the Fair Play winners in and bloating out the early rounds has done it absolutely no favours.

Would I ever choose not to be in it? Unless it's to swap for a Champions League place, not in a million years. I miss the days when I took it as granted that we were in the competition and one thing I always thought highly of Shepherd for was when other clubs were turning their nose up at an Intertoto place because they didn't want to start the season in mid-July, he would always throw our hat into the ring.