Greetings from Benghazi

Vinny Green Balls

I will be posting here from time to time.

The air isn't quite the same as last time; excitement unsurprisingly has been replaced by a sense of normalcy.  The unity is not so strong either.  Everybody is now jockeying for position, and pursuing the same scraps.  Still, there is virtually no crime, and people are still somewhat happy.  School has opened up again after 8 months, and February is now a distant memory.

My friend's nephew was recently freed from Abu Salim Prison in Tripoli after 7 years.  He went into Gaddafi's compound looking for him, before returning home to see his wife and two boys for 3 weeks.  Two days ago, he took off the fight in Sirte.  On the way, his tire popped and his car rolled.  I was asked to film his funeral yesterday.  His boys wished that he was still in prison.  The whole family has been torn asunder over this.  Senseless.

The whole impression I'm getting at the moment is that momentum has been lost since entry into and ownership of Tripoli was seemingly confirmed.

I know fighting is continuing - ferociously I'm sure - but all this time is surely giving Gadaffi more of a chance to organise and rally his troops?

The feeling in Benghazi is now one of normalcy. The excitement of April and May has been replaced with another day at the office type of air.  The east of Libya is very far removed from war; Gaddafi's agents have long since disappeared.  School has started again, and business has slowly crept back into town.  They don't have the shortages that the West are suffering from. 

Now you see people jockeying for position.  Thing is that they are all going after the same scraps, when there are thousands of new angles.