Winter Breaks

QBG

So although we're having an 'Indian summer' this week Winter is still fast approaching and I'm looking to spend a few days of it somewhere nice, as I'm sure many of you are too.

My lass sent me a list of cities she wants to go to and I would like assistance in choosing one. The list is as follows:

Amsterdam, Bruges, Florence, Venice, Berlin, Milan, Madrid adn Budapest.

Anyone been to any of these? If so if you have any advice, or tips on good places to see it would be most appreciated.

Florence is really nice, especially if you're into architecture and art. Amsterdam is good, but quite expensive if you want to eat/drink well.

Berlin and Madrid are both very cool cities, I found Madrid really clostrophobic though. Looking to go to Bruges for a couple of days with my girlfriend, is there much to do?

Amsterdam, Bruges,

You can do both of these on Eurostar in the same weekend (or long weekend). Amsterdam was fun, but my memories are a bit hazy....lots of 'culture' to see during the daytime, quite expensive for a night out when I went.

Bruges was class, would definitely go back there.

Went to Bruges last summer and my opinion is it's truly beautiful.

Called the little venice of Europe because of its canal and lots of places to sit out and watch the world go by.

Not on your list but I would also highly recommend Nice. Easy destination from here and can still be in the 60's / 70's Oct / Nov.

We stoppedl on the Promenade Des Anglais on the sea front and at the back of the hotel there is a first class public transport that is only a few stops into town.

Rent a car while you are there and you have St Tropez and other lovely spots one way and the likes of Monaco the other.

Stopped in the Raddison Blu with a lovely roof top swimming pool.

http://www.radissonblu.com/hotel-nice?facilitator=BIGMOUTHMEDIAREZIDOR&gclid=CI3ynqnMvasCFYUJtAodZEyXvQ&csref=g_en_sk_brand_3_ncezh

http://img1.superbreak.net/content/images/Hotel/radisson_blu_hotel_nice_swimming_pool_1_swi_8263.JPG

Depending on how late in the year you're going, Berlin is good around xmas. Lots of christmas markets selling food and drink. Also shit loads of bars, clubs, restaurants, shops, museums, history etc.

Bruges is a bit boring imo. Nice, but better for a day trip.

Madrid and Milan are class, but better saved for the summer (although I haven't been in the winter tbf)

Florence is nice, and close to Pisa for a day trip. Both a bit tourist-trap though, and quite pricey.

Depending on how late in the year you're going, Berlin is good around xmas. Lots of christmas markets selling food and drink. Also shit loads of bars, clubs, restaurants, shops, museums, history etc.

Bruges is a bit boring imo. Nice, but better for a day trip.

Madrid and Milan are class, but better saved for the summer (although I haven't been in the winter tbf)

Florence is nice, and close to Pisa for a day trip. Both a bit tourist-trap though, and quite pricey.

Aye, agree with that.

So although we're having an 'Indian summer' this week Winter is still fast approaching and I'm looking to spend a few days of it somewhere nice, as I'm sure many of you are too.

My lass sent me a list of cities she wants to go to and I would like assistance in choosing one. The list is as follows:

Amsterdam, Bruges, Florence, Venice, Berlin, Milan, Madrid adn Budapest.

Anyone been to any of these? If so if you have any advice, or tips on good places to see it would be most appreciated.

If you and your girl wants to get absolutely hammered and not remember anything and still have money to spare, that's the spot.

Would imagine Florence or Milan would be the better romantic spots, though. Haven't been to either mind.

Everytime I've heard people talk about Berlin its been nothing but good. One curious thing though, there appears to be no direct flights to there or Budapest from Leeds-Bradford (fair enough its only a small airport) and Manchester, which seems very odd to me. I may be wrong but Expedia keeps telling me I'd have to catch a connecting flight in Amsterdam.

Barcelona?

My parents have been and said it was decent. What are the main attractions aside from the Cathedral and Nou Camp?

Not on your list but I would also highly recommend Nice. Easy destination from here and can still be in the 60's / 70's Oct / Nov.

Was there this time last month, lovely part of the world. Already desperate to go back.

I've looked at Nice before, it does look like a beautiful part of the world.

Runcorn is nice when the nights are drawing in, have you considered there?

Of those listed it all depends when you'd be going & what you want out of it (food, sights, xmassy, blah blah blah) and more importantly perhaps how much dinero you want (or not) to spend. Theres a couple you mentioned I wouldn't go in winter (Venice and Madrid).

Barcelona?

My parents have been and said it was decent. What are the main attractions aside from the Cathedral and Nou Camp?

Was there this time last month, lovely part of the world. Already desperate to go back.

I've looked at Nice before, it does look like a beautiful part of the world.

Bearing in mind our new found love in with France, might be worth wearing your Newcastle shirt as well. Hero's welcome etc

Florence is lovely but I don't think it's really a 'winter' city.

Absolutely hated Milan with a passion and couldn't wait to fly back.

Madrid's canny but nowt flash.

Not been to the rest but sned's Krakow is a decent shout. Or Prague, that's a nice 'winter' city.

Runcorn is nice when the nights are drawing in, have you considered there?

Of those listed it all depends when you'd be going & what you want out of it (food, sights, xmassy, blah blah blah) and more importantly perhaps how much dinero you want (or not) to spend. Theres a couple you mentioned I wouldn't go in winter (Venice and Madrid).

What was Copenhagen like Disco?