Government to increase motorway speed limit to 80mph?

GM

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ministers to consult on 80mph motorway speed limit

The Department of Transport is to launch a consultation on increasing the speed limit on Britain's motorways from 70mph to 80mph.

Transport Secretary Philip Hammond said the current limit, introduced in 1965, was out of date due to "huge advances in safety and motoring technology".

The consultation begins this year with a view to raising the limit in 2013.

The Department for Transport says as many as 49% of drivers flout the current 70mph limit.

Mr Hammond said Britain's roads "should be the arteries of a healthy economy".

"Now it is time to put Britain back in the fast lane of global economies and look again at the motorway speed limit which is nearly 50 years old, and out of date thanks to huge advances in safety and motoring technology.

"Increasing the motorway speed limit to 80mph would generate economic benefits of hundreds of millions of pounds through shorter journey times."

So, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Why only 10 mph?

I would say 90 is more realistic.

I would suggest people will tend to cruise at 90 anyway, as I see loads of people cotching at 80 at present. As others have said, it's certainly about time, the limits are very outdated. The stopping modern cars can do these days is so far advanced than back in the day. I think certain 40s and 30s need to be adjusted aswell personally.

Everyone will just drive at 95mph instead of 85mph.

I disagree, 85 is just a nice speed to sit at.  95 and the engine is a bit loud, I have to turn my music up, which is fine when I don't have passengers but annoying when I do.  Also petrol consumption will be a major factor, it is ridiculous how many mpg I get less when doing 90+

Everyone will just drive at 95mph instead of 85mph.

I disagree, 85 is just a nice speed to sit at.  95 and the engine is a bit loud, I have to turn my music up, which is fine when I don't have passengers but annoying when I do.  Also petrol consumption will be a major factor, it is ridiculous how many mpg I get less when doing 90+

At 75mph noise will be lower and you'll save even more fuel.

If I was in a hurry I'd drive at 90, not really bothered most of the time as I probably get about 10-15mpg more by doing 75. Did 120 on the autobahns and the mpg went down to 18 which isn't really affordable for any length of time.

I also wouldn't trust British drivers at that speed, people are completely brain-dead over here and utterly unable to understand what each lane is for - in Germany people just get out of the way. 80 is probably sensible enough and leaves coppers able to pull people for driving 90 odd. Pretty much the same as today but with legislation reflecting the real-world.

I used to go at 80+ all the time on motorways but since I got a car with a trip computer, I tend to do 80 tops. Getting there five minutes faster is a lot less attractive when you can see your money depleting before your eyes. One of them in every car and there'll only be Dave left speeding, giving it the V's as he flies past you with his free fuel.

I don't care either btw, I just don't think anyone is going to get pulled doing 80mph these days anyway so increasing the limit will just encourage people to drive even faster. I'd just leave it as is, sensible people already know what is reasonable (or what they can get away with, if you prefer) and what is going too far. The point made in this thread about fuel costs just cements it.

It'll cost money to implement this, even though there are no signs to change. Use the money for something else.

in the past the ruling political classes could buy off the masses with a tax break and tell them they were better off (the fact that it made themselves much better off and the masses weren't actually better off as even though they had more in their pockets they had to pay out much more for the privelage). however now the government can't afford even that, expect even more of these sops to keep the masses from revolting.