Pardew's Group of Lads

Tooj

As Hughton always used say about his group of lads - a lot was made of the supposed team spirit we had with the likes of Nolan & Barton being key factors behind that.

Rightly so, quite a few people seemed sceptical about both of them going in the summer as they thought it would have a negative impact on the atmosphere in the dressing room.

Well to me, Pardew deserves a lot of credit, as from an outsider's perspective the team spirit seems to be as good as ever at the moment. The new signings seemed to be settling in well, and they all seem to be a 'good lads.'

I even think Nolan wouldn't have been a guaranteed starter this year and he wouldn't have liked that. So if we'd have kept him, he could have actually been a negative influence around the camp, as despite what he said in public I really don't think he would have taken well to have been on the bench.

Even though I agree with what Barton and Enrique said in public against the régime, it can't have helped morale in the dressing room and currently all of the players seem to be pulling in the same direction, without feeling the need to come out in public and air the club's the dirty laundry.

Not that I'm defending Ashley, as my opinions are well known on him, and they're highly unlikely to change any time soon. As now's when he's at his most dangerous, as there's certainly a feel good factor back with the way the team are playing at the moment, and when things seem to be going well, he normally makes some absurd decision which goes against all logic and cause huge unrest.

lets see what the spirit is like after a couple bad results/performances. hopefully we'll be kept waiting a while obviously.

Yeah, bit premature IMO. Spirit is shown (or not) when you're down, not when you're unbeaten and riding high.

There was the Arsenal game last season, but if you're talking about this season - can't really be sure yet. We rebounded well to going down against Villa mind you, although they were dogshit.

lets see what the spirit is like after a couple bad results/performances. hopefully we'll be kept waiting a while obviously.

Nail on the head.

The cynic in me says you don't need to rely on team spirit when you have more talented individuals.

I think team spirit is very important.  If you just have a load of greedy egomaniacs who only care for themselves you will become a soulless club ala Man City.  Players always huffing and complaining, there to collect their money and fuck off. 

Our relegation season epitomised a lack of team spirit and look how we ended up.  A group of players who didn't give a fuck, then pissed off after we went down leaving us in the shit.  It was only a group of players and manager who showed togetherness and team spirit and wanted to work hard for each other that got us back to where we are.

The cynic in me says you don't need to rely on team spirit when you have more talented individuals.

Don't believe that for a second, you can get so far with talented players, but even further if they are bonded together and pushing for the team. Look at Barca, probably the least selfish team on the planet.

Don't believe that for a second, you can get so far with talented players, but even further if they are bonded together and pushing for the team. Look at Barca, probably the least selfish team on the planet.

Exactly.

Guest Micktoon

Reading threads like these can really depress me. it's amazing how many Toon fans are waiting for us to implode just so they can say " i told you so". Enjoy the moment you fuckwits, in the current  financial climate we seem so to be one of the clubs on the right track. we hit the ground running, we're beating sides around us,  we done the makems in the retards hell hole. A good squad, a good moral, and good results. Instead of trying to predict the future( you mystic meg retards) enjoy the present.

Chicken licken is not yet predictin that the sky is fallin

I don't contest that, but I'd say we were a bit like Greece circa 2004 under Hughton. The players weren't wonderfully talented but they were a solid hard working unit that often outfought their rivals instead of outplayed them.

This team is still very much in its early stages, but I'd say they are looking to outplay opponents when possible, accordingly it means they aren't as reliant on this 'group of lads' type bond. I'd still say we have that however.

Reading threads like these can really depress me. it's amazing how many Toon fans are waiting for us to implode just so they can say " i told you so". Enjoy the moment you fuckwits, in the current  financial climate we seem so to be one of the clubs on the right track. we hit the ground running, we're beating sides around us,  we done the makems in the retards hell hole. A good squad, a good moral, and good results. Instead of trying to predict the future( you mystic meg retards) enjoy the present.

Agreed, mate.

There's some posters on here that have gone quiet and are seemingly waiting for us to fuck up so they can lay the boot into Pardew or whoever else is on their agenda. However, I'm very much enjoying this forum at the moment because for the most part people are being positive and upbeat - even Crumpy was happy the other day.

Agree with Tooj, we have a good bunch of lads but more importantly they all want to improve and do well for each other. The season we went down too many of our "key" players were very self involved, none more so than the absolute cunt who wore the ARM band. Our key players now have a lot of fight in them and so far seem more interested in working for results than trying to bad mouth the owners (definitely not saying they don't deserve bad mouthing) and pursuing their own agendas. Like moaning about ambition then dropping down a division to play under owners who make Ashley look positively competent, nothing about the money though 'nobby' :)

Without knowing how much say Pardew has in who stays and who goes it's hard to assess how much influence Pardew actually has. Were Barton and Nolan sold over his head for example? In any case he's got on with it and despite all the scare stories we seem to be doing the right things to keep morale high.

If I'm going to give credit to Pardew for anything it's for accepting the limits of his role and working within the parameters he's been set. We are moving away from the era of managers having their hand in everything and heading more to a continental system where they are seen more as head coach. This has seen the end of player power with senior pros no longer able to use their influence to get deals beyond their worth.

Sometimes it's better for a manager to get rid of the old guard and start fresh with players who buy into his plans rather than have players who are stuck in their ways.

Guest Micktoon

Mental note to self. " don't make posts when you get back pissed from the pub".

Apologies if some of the qoutes( fuckwits, retards) are a bit OTT. however i kind of agree with my vodka induced sentinment

Mental note to self. " don't make posts when you get back p*ssed from the pub".

Apologies if some of the qoutes( fuckwits, retards) are a bit OTT. however i kind of agree with my vodka induced sentinment

Don't worry mate, a lot of the opinions on here are fuelled by alcohol  O0

I am not convinced the two Scouse mates were that important to team spirit, BUT its easy to all be happy and get along when your unbeaten and 4th top.

I guess you could argue we are in that position because we have a great team spirit and that helps them work hard for each other on the pitch.

Agreed, mate.

There's some posters on here that have gone quiet and are seemingly waiting for us to fuck up so they can lay the boot into Pardew or whoever else is on their agenda. However, I'm very much enjoying this forum at the moment because for the most part people are being positive and upbeat - even Crumpy was happy the other day.

Name and shame! O0

Dunno if I fall into this bracket (though I could hardly be described as going quiet :blush:) but from my perspective it's definitely not a case of hoping for us to fuck up, just that given the past I pretty much expect it. Things are looking pretty positive at present and I'd be delighted to get through much more of the season in this vein so that I can start to feel a bit more confident, but knowing what we do it just feels like we're walking on thin ice. I guess I would say I am cautiously optimistic, but the season has barely started. We'll see. :thup:

I notice that Pardew said that Jonas was now his player after signing the new contract which was important for the bond between manager and player. Good man-managers should have no real problems creating a good spirit tbh.

he must be bloody good at man management behind closed doors as he seems to repeatedly say stuff to the press that i could imagine would really wind up some players. ie theres a couple of players here whom i'll have to keep their feet on the floor to stop them getting carried away with our good start (very recently)....some of the players being championship players but playing above themselves (last season). theres more, those are just off the top of my head.

It's been quite a while since we had a squad that were capable of pulling in the same direction. Comebacks like the one against Arsenal (and going back to the way we beat Chelsea in the CC, that game at Bristol City where we came back from 0-2 down etc.) is the sort of thing that indicate a tight group. Before "Hughton's Group of Lads", we didn't have that kind of willingness to fight for each other going back 7-8 years. It's refreshing, but like someone said, we need to see these players perform when things aren't going our way before any real judgement can be made.

The "fightback" at Villa, where we kept believing despite going 1-0 down, was a good sign for me.

The most pleasing stuff so far this season (bar the QPR game), is that it seems we have a game plan. Players are moving, and the movement is creating chances. Chances for passing, shooting and goalscoring. And I absolutely love that we now seem to play like a solid defensive unit. Our central line with Krul, Colo/Saylor, Cabaye/Tiote is immense. Nothing short of it. And my only worry is the fullbacks. Hopefully and expectedly Santon will start against Tottenham though. And with HBA soon to be back to full fitness (i.e playing 90 minutes) is more or less like a dream come through. :fwap:

Agreed, mate.

Name and shame! O0

Dunno if I fall into this bracket (though I could hardly be described as going quiet :blush:) but from my perspective it's definitely not a case of hoping for us to fuck up, just that given the past I pretty much expect it. Things are looking pretty positive at present and I'd be delighted to get through much more of the season in this vein so that I can start to feel a bit more confident, but knowing what we do it just feels like we're walking on thin ice. I guess I would say I am cautiously optimistic, but the season has barely started. We'll see. :thup:

Nah not you. I tend to think you're balanced and sensible with everything you post - cautiously optimistic while also cautious that disaster is round the corner. I try to be the same really and just look at things as I see it. I just think there's many on here that are so stuck in their ways in terms of being anti-Pardew and/or anti-Ashley that they won't give credit where it's due and simply refuse to enjoy the positives.

Yet these people will be the first to lay the boot in the moment things turn for the worse. At some point this season we WILL lose a few games on the trot as is the case with any club that's not Barcelona or Man United.

For me personally, I just think that things could be FAR worse. I look at some of the massive clubs stuck in a rut in the lower divisions and realise we could be a lot worse off. Even in terms of ownership I certainly wouldn't be swapping Ashley for that mob taking Blackburn down. FFS I know it's very early but as it stands we're the 4th best team in the country. We're unbeaten, have one of the best defences in Europe and are still in the cup. Yeah sooner or later we'll slip down the league but generally I think we'll be alright this season. I read other forums of clubs in far worse positions than us and none of them had the negativity levels that we did during pre-season, it's bizarre IMO.

This is exactly the type of team I hoped we'd try to build after relegation.

midfield is the first thing we need to get sorted, out with the rubbish, in with young, hungry players with pace and a modicum of footballing ability

We're going to finish 4th if Ben Arfa's gets up to speed, I can feel it.

Agreed, mate.

There's some posters on here that have gone quiet and are seemingly waiting for us to f*** up so they can lay the boot into Pardew or whoever else is on their agenda. However, I'm very much enjoying this forum at the moment because for the most part people are being positive and upbeat - even Crumpy was happy the other day.

Name and shame! O0

Dunno if I fall into this bracket (though I could hardly be described as going quiet :blush:) but from my perspective it's definitely not a case of hoping for us to f*** up, just that given the past I pretty much expect it. Things are looking pretty positive at present and I'd be delighted to get through much more of the season in this vein so that I can start to feel a bit more confident, but knowing what we do it just feels like we're walking on thin ice. I guess I would say I am cautiously optimistic, but the season has barely started. We'll see. :thup:

Nah not you. I tend to think you're balanced and sensible with everything you post - cautiously optimistic while also cautious that disaster is round the corner. I try to be the same really and just look at things as I see it. I just think there's many on here that are so stuck in their ways in terms of being anti-Pardew and/or anti-Ashley that they won't give credit where it's due and simply refuse to enjoy the positives.

Yet these people will be the first to lay the boot in the moment things turn for the worse. At some point this season we WILL lose a few games on the trot as is the case with any club that's not Barcelona or Man United.

For me personally, I just think that things could be FAR worse. I look at some of the massive clubs stuck in a rut in the lower divisions and realise we could be a lot worse off. Even in terms of ownership I certainly wouldn't be swapping Ashley for that mob taking Blackburn down. FFS I know it's very early but as it stands we're the 4th best team in the country. We're unbeaten, have one of the best defences in Europe and are still in the cup. Yeah sooner or later we'll slip down the league but generally I think we'll be alright this season. I read other forums of clubs in far worse positions than us and none of them had the negativity levels that we did during pre-season, it's bizarre IMO.

:whistle: