The international break - a moment to take stock

The Prophet
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BooBoo

Great start but hopefully Pardew will have learned a few lessons yesterday:

I. I dont think Obertan is someone who should be starting away from home. He doesn't strike me as someone who will dig in against the odds and I think his pace would be much effective as a sub, coming on against tiring defences.

II. Speaking of subs, Lovenkrands is the last player we should ever bring on when defending a lead. He has little pace and limited strength. He cannot hold the ball up and he's limited to being a half decent penalty box poacher these days.

III. Ben Arfa is a conundrum. From the comments I've read I don't think Pardew is keen on starting him. I don't know whether that's because he's loathe to drop in form players or because he doesn't think Ben Arfa is ready yet. I've a feeling he'll stay on the bench until we inevitably pick up an injury or two to solve Pardew's problem for him.

IV. Spurs will be a test, they've got very good wide players and I just wonder whether Pardew will hold Santon back again.

Great start but hopefully Pardew will have learned a few lessons yesterday:

I. I dont think Obertan is someone who should be starting away from home. He doesn't strike me as someone who will dig in against the odds and I think his pace would be much effective as a sub, coming on against tiring defences.

II. Speaking of subs, Lovenkrands is the last player we should ever bring on when defending a lead. He has little pace and limited strength. He cannot hold the ball up and he's limited to being a half decent penalty box poacher these days.

III. Ben Arfa is a conundrum. From the comments I've read I don't think Pardew is keen on starting him. I don't know whether that's because he's loathe to drop in form players or because he doesn't think Ben Arfa is ready yet. I've a feeling he'll stay on the bench until we inevitably pick up an injury or two to solve Pardew's problem for him.

IV. Spurs will be a test, they've got very good wide players and I just wonder whether Pardew will hold Santon back again.

A bit of both I reckon, the lad has been out for a year so I'm thinking the plan is to ease him back into the side. However in the meantime, Pardew will probably argue that the side he's putting out now has been doing well for him/given the club a fantastic start so why change a "proven formula" so to speak.

Relating to your last sentence about Ben Arfa, I reckon this is very likely.

Agree with everything that has been said in here so far. Delighted at the start we have made both in the league and the cup. One very winnable game away from the quarters.

As has been said before, I'd like to see Marveaux come in for Obertan. He was absolutely terrific in the Carling Cup game against Forest and looks like he really utilise's his pace, unlike Obertan. Santon has to come in at left back for the Spurs game which will hopefully mean Raylor takes Simpson's place at RB. Can't fault Raylor for his work rate and efforts this season and I think Simpson has been a bit of a liability this season in a few games. Hopefully, a rest from the first team will get him back to his top form like it did last season with his best games coming against West Ham A/Mackems H/Arsenal A when he came back into the first team.

Think one more sub appearance from Hatem will do and after that I'd like to see him be put into the first X1, probably in place of Best. Think it will be harsh on him because he's been brilliant so far but Hatem has quality where he can see a pass or take a shot like no one else in our team can.

Also, I think huge credit has to go to Pardew for the start we've made. He had a frustrating transfer window but he's got the players working brilliantly together and we've played some cracking football so far this season. Long may it continue  :)

What do people mean by "easing him into the side"? (based on a lot of comments here and nearly everywhere) I mean, his injury is FINALLY behind him, he is back to full fitness training wise, so the only thing he needs is match practice. Which he will gain from playing MATCHES. And when you have a player as good as Ben Arfa, you simply have to play him, especially when you're not Barcelona. I can understand the cameo in the Blackburn game. Fair enough. Also kind of understandable that he wasn't given game time against a physical Wolves side, but on the other side; what kind of excuse is that? He's not made of glass, and he's fit. Play him. If I were to define "easing him into the side" it would be exactly what is happening now, and so the easing bit is over and he is bound to start against Tottenham. Why Marveaux did not start on Saturday I can't explain, at all.

I understand that you have to take into account that our side is unbeaten, but as said in other threads; it's better to get HBA into the side while we're on this excellent form, rather then do it after the inevitable defeat. Especially when thinking of better opposition, like Tottenham. Same obviously goes for Davide Santon, who has to replace either of the fullbacks. Yes, we're unbeaten, but that's not an excuse when looking at some of the individual performances. I believe in reason, not always what the table speaks.

What do people mean by "easing him into the side"? (based on a lot of comments here and nearly everywhere) I mean, his injury is FINALLY behind him, he is back to full fitness training wise, so the only thing he needs is match practice. Which he will gain from playing MATCHES. And when you have a player as good as Ben Arfa, you simply have to play him, especially when you're not Barcelona. I can understand the cameo in the Blackburn game. Fair enough. Also kind of understandable that he wasn't given game time against a physical Wolves side, but on the other side; what kind of excuse is that? He's not made of glass, and he's fit. Play him. If I were to define "easing him into the side" it would be exactly what is happening now, and so the easing bit is over and he is bound to start against Tottenham. Why Marveaux did not start on Saturday I can't explain, at all.

I understand that you have to take into account that our side is unbeaten, but as said in other threads; it's better to get HBA into the side while we're on this excellent form, rather then do it after the inevitable defeat. Especially when thinking of better opposition, like Tottenham. Same obviously goes for Davide Santon, who has to replace either of the fullbacks. Yes, we're unbeaten, but that's not an excuse when looking at some of the individual performances. I believe in reason, not always what the table speaks.

:thup:

So would you drop either Ba or Best and put him straight in against Spurs? For me it's the perfect game but does one of them deserved to be dropped?

So would you drop either Ba or Best and put him straight in against Spurs? For me it's the perfect game but does one of them deserved to be dropped?

Would drop Best, as Ba is the better player and he also deserves it based on the last two games. Best has impressed me lately though.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Would drop Best, as Ba is the better player and he also deserves it based on the last two games. Best has impressed me lately though.

Best was much better than Ba yesterday. It's a really tough choice but one of the two simply has to make way for Hatem. Best has the better all round game but Ba is all about goals so on that basis Ba probably edges it. Glad Pardew has to choose and not me.

A fantastic start to the season and the whole atmosphere around the club and with the fans is brilliant.  The start has exceeded our expectations however, if was important for us to get off to a good start, as why i wouldn't necessarily say we had easy games, we had games that we'd have said were winnable when the fixtures came out and getting the points on the board is a bonus for when we fave the tough games in November .

The feel good factor though isn't just with the first team as we also have the reserves with the prospect of going top of the reserve league above Man U should they win their game in hand against Bolton this week which i expect them to do.  The under 18 academy side beat the mackems 4-0 at the weekend to also go top of the league as well.

It is probably a sign of how far we have come and how good the start has been when we are now debating about whether or not the likes of Raylor and Best should keep their place in the side.....if someone had predicted that before the season started you'd have said he/she was mental!!

I've added a poll, just to spice things up on here on an otherwise boring Saturday. Omitted the Manchester and Chelsea spots, but left in everything from 4th down for the few extremely optimistic and positive posters on here.

I've gone for 9th, which I think would be a pretty solid result to build upon and a compromise between the great start and the optimism of that and the nagging worry it can't go on forever and we're going to have a slump.

Voted 6th. It's too early to vote, though. Lose against Spurs and it can go wrong from there. Win against Spurs and who knows where we can finish? That's why I think the match against Spurs is so very important for our season.

Think the real test comes when we start playing the better teams. Not necessarily Man City or Man Utd, but more the Spurs, Everton and Liverpool. Have been delighted with the start, the only game where we were really second best was at QPR and we still came away with a point. I'm not getting carried away yet, but there's unless we get stung by injuries we shouldn't fear anyone outside the top few teams and at the moment with this kind of momentum should go to anyone thinking we can pick up points.