Rental property questions

pinkeye

People of this forum, anyone with any experience to share please?

Has anyone ever rented a house out to people they don't know?

What are the pitfalls, what do I need to look out for?

Mine just won't sell so I think I will rent it to see how the market picks up in a year....

People of this forum, anyone with any experience to share please?

Has anyone ever rented a house out to people they don't know?

What are the pitfalls, what do I need to look out for?

Mine just won't sell so I think I will rent it to see how the market picks up in a year....

There was another thread about this a few days ago. Cant remember where unfortunately.

Bottom line is location. If its in a decent location and you can get a decent price, therefore decent clients, your okay.

If its not and you are going to get crap people then.......

Definitely avoid DSS and Students.

Best bet pop to a few of your local estate agents and they should be only too happy to discuss the local market and what you can expect from your area.

The other thing to bear in mind is where you think the housing market is going. Renting is fine if you think it will stabalise or improve any time soon. If you fear it wont and can afford it, cut your price a bit more and get out.

Cheers mate, I only want about £150k for my current house, for the area, that is pretty cheap, think there are 6 houses for sale on our estate and ours is the cheapest.

It is really clean and in a good state of repair / decoration.

Just nothing is moving at all.  Have a Metro station 3 mins walk away.

I would have expected to sell quite easily but, it has been awful.  I can afford to keep the place and buy somewhere else but, I would rather put someone nice into my house to rent it but, if it got wrecked I would be furious!

Definitely no DSS, students or especially young people would be my initial thoughts.  A family or professional would be lovely!

My lass moved in wth me in April, rented her flat out. they have fucked around with the rent every month. they then claimed housing benefit and asked it to be payed direct to them instead of the estate agent. They have only paid half of Septembers rent. how can people be this useless with money?

Bit of a generalisation but, I would say because if you are going to get a scumster renting your house that will not pay the bills and generally wreck the place there is a greater chance of that happening if you let a DSS person take the property than a young professonal.

Very general because I am sure there are some very lovely people who live on the social and some absolute pigs who earn £30k per year!

Bit of a generalisation but, I would say because if you are going to get a scumster renting your house that will not pay the bills and generally wreck the place there is a greater chance of that happening if you let a DSS person take the property than a young professonal.

Very general because I am sure there are some very lovely people who live on the social and some absolute pigs who earn £30k per year!

I think the point is you can take the working person to court for lost rent, damage, etc- your wasting your time with unemployed cos they are usually skint tbh.