2011/12 Australian Football - Fosters and vegemite for all

Guest sydneycove

Guest sydneycove

A-League just started up this weekend and some cracking games so far.

Newcastle Jets who sacked there coach 5 days before game day one over a feud about his sons contract scored an injury time winner against melbourne Heart for amazing scenes and a 3 - 2 win. 12 300 attended which is a big crowd for Newcastle. Cracking TIFO from the Jets fans Fans are Forever

Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory the biggest rivalry in the league was a fiery encounter which saw Brett Emerton play his first league game for Sydney FC and first in 13 years and Harry Kewell debut for Melbourne Victory his first league game in Australia ever. 40 351 turned out for the spectacle in Melbourne. A fiery encounter ended in a 0 - 0 draw after Emerton had a penalty saved and Sydney were reduced to ten men.

Brisbane Roar v CCM in a replay of last years epic Grand Final where Brisbane equalised in the last 30 seconds of extra time to send the game to a penalty shoot out and went on to win the grand final. Brisbane have lost quite a few players since last season whilst CCM only made one change to the team that turned out in the grand final as there captain Alex Wilkinson suffered a fractured arm in training. CCM were also without wonderkid Mustafa Amini. 13 000 fans turned out in horrid conditions to watch Brisbane snatch a 1 - 0 victory over CCM.

Todays games are Adelaide v Perth. Adelaide are favourites to win the league this season whilst Perth have signed Shane Smeltz probably the best striker in the A-League and Danny Vuckovic a very talented young Australian keeper to try and propel them forward. s*** management however will probably see Perth struggle and until the owner sacks the manager and brings in someone who has an idea they will probably struggle.

The other game today is Gold Coast v Wellington. GCU the big flash club of the A-League backed by one of Australia's richest men had a horrendous season last year and crowds were horrible. Some exciting young talent in the team however and Miron is surely in a make or break season. Wellington were just bought out a few weeks ago and have a solid if unspectacular team. Look for Gold Coast to run rampant over Wellington.

Meanwhile the national team will play Oman in Sydney on Tuesday (Monday in Britain) a win will see them through to the next round of WC qualifying. Mostly a team of Asian-roos with most Euroroos left behind.

Guest sydneycove
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

How does it feel, Sydney? How does it feel when an entire forum craps on your nations' league?  :laugh: We're horrible people.

Guest sydneycove

How does it feel, Sydney? How does it feel when an entire forum craps on your nations' league?  :laugh: We're horrible people.

Until we play you again:

Wahey

Tis my only answer and facts about changing the whole team will be thoroughly ignored.

Oh boy this thread's a ripper, mate.

Funny thing is if David Beckham had gone to play for Woollongong Koalas or whoever the Aussie league would probably get the same sort of coverage the MLS does.

Haha sydneycove - I think I started an "Australian football" thread two or three seasons ago. You'll probably find it after page 200, a place it crashed to about half an hour after every post I made :lol:

EDIT: You should have done what Rupert's newspapers are doing and mentioning Harry Kewell and Brett Emerton in every single mention of the league. Kind of like "The Huyindi A-League featuring Harry Kewell and Brett Emerton."

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Hey, I know of Harry Kewell! I also know of Brett Emerton! TELL ME MORE ITS LIKE THE PREMIERSHIP 10 YEARS AGO!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What a bunch of wankers! :lol:

How man, you can't just come into a thread and proclaim every Australian is... well...

Guest magpie99

I remember when I first came over here in 1979, you couldnt get the football results from England until monday afternoon in the papers and even then, it was just the score. Now, football is really taking off over here probably due to the ethnic majority.

Despite what you poms all might think of us, we are still one of the best countries in the world for living standards and most of you on this forum would love to spend some time here or perhaps, even live here.

What is a recession, by the way?