Pick your England squad and first 11 for the Euros

Guest kingdawson

Cleverly and Wellbeck aren't world beaters like.

They play for Mn Utd though. I can see the benefit of having 6 or 7 of the 11 play for Man Utd because they are already playing together and performing well and therefore they won't need to gel or work on team spirit as you already have it. That isn't something that teams other than Spain would have.

You mean the Spanish team that won the world cup with seven Barcelona players in the starting eleven?

Quality and coherence are equally if not more important than spirit. Team spirit pushes you to the latter stages of tournaments, quality wins you them.

http://www.bookmakers1.com/greece2004winners.jpg

:shifty:

They play for Mn Utd though. I can see the benefit of having 6 or 7 of the 11 play for Man Utd because they are already playing together and performing well and therefore they won't need to gel or work on team spirit as you already have it. That isn't something that teams other than Spain would have.

You mean the Spanish team that won the world cup with seven Barcelona players in the starting eleven?

Quality and coherence are equally if not more important than spirit. Team spirit pushes you to the latter stages of tournaments, quality wins you them.

True, but the current cancerous England team won't get past the group stages.

It's a bit different for Spain, considering the Barca players are all world class and form a massive part of the best club side in the world.

I honestly think btw that England's chances of winning (or at least having a decent EURO) the tournament in 2012 are higher than 2010.

2010, it was Capello's first tournament with an international team and England were favourites by many pundits and fans. Pressure was too much imo.

Next year, they'll be some sort of 'outsiders' for the win which will help. It reminds me a bit of the situation with Germany before the World Cup 2006 where everyone had written them off before the tournament started, yet they played some great football and surprised many.

I honestly think btw that England's chances of winning (or at least having a decent EURO) the tournament in 2012 are higher than 2010.

2010, it was Capello's first tournament with an international team and England were favourites by many pundits and fans. Pressure was too much imo.

Next year, they'll be some sort of 'outsiders' for the win which will help. It reminds me a bit of the situation with Germany before the World Cup 2006 where everyone had written them off before the tournament started, yet they played some great football and surprised many.

Every international tournament with Lampard Gerrard and Terry playing will be slightly worse than the previous one.

If everyone is fit.........

Hart

Walker Smalling Terry Cole

Parker Wilshere

Gerrard

Sturridge/Walcott A.Young

Rooney

I picked Smalling over Jones because i feel Smalling is a better defender while Jones is more talented as a footballer you could even play him in midfield instead of Parker if iam honest....

Also for the record, the German side that ripped us and Argentina a new one:

Neuer (Schalke)

Lahm (Munich)

Friedrich (Hertha)

Mertesacker (Bremen)

Boateng (Hamburg)

Khedira (Stuttgart)

Schweinsteiger (Munich)

Ozil (Bremen)

Podolski (Koln)

Muller (Munich)

Klose (Munich)

There were four Munich players in the side but the rest of the players came from a selection of different sides. They got as far as they did based on quality and game based on acounter attack. I'm all for introducing youth to the team, but I wouldn't introduce players simply because they have played in the same domestic side together.

Didn't a lot of those players come through the youth system together?

True, but the current cancerous England team won't get past the group stages.

:thup:

Cancerous is a bit strong, but I agree with the sentiment.

I wouldn't take Carroll. He's not good enough.

There, I said it.

Mind you, this should be viewed in light of the fact I care about England so little, I'd happily stick the squad in a bus and have it driven over a cliff.

Hart

Richards      Smalling    Terry    Baines

Ox    Wilshere    Rodwell      Young

Rooney

Sturridge

Neuer (Schalke)

Lahm (Munich)

Friedrich (Hertha)

Mertesacker (Bremen)

Boateng (Hamburg)

Khedira (Stuttgart)

Schweinsteiger (Munich)

Ozil (Bremen)

Podolski (Koln)

Muller (Munich)

Klose (Munich)

There were four Munich players in the side but the rest of the players came from a selection of different sides. They got as far as they did based on quality and game based on acounter attack. I'm all for introducing youth to the team, but I wouldn't introduce players simply because they have played in the same domestic side together.

Didn't a lot of those players come from Poland?

;)

As for the dilema over Rooney, you must take him if he's fit, he is the best player we have and lets say its a 2 game ban, it might could down to the 3rd game to qualify, and knowing Rooney can play will be a massive boost to the squad and also the fans. No brainer for me.

Neuer (Schalke)

Lahm (Munich)

Friedrich (Hertha)

Mertesacker (Bremen)

Boateng (Hamburg)

Khedira (Stuttgart)

Schweinsteiger (Munich)

Ozil (Bremen)

Podolski (Koln)

Muller (Munich)

Klose (Munich)

Didn't a lot of those players come through the youth system together?

Woops was ment to modify my post, deleted it.

Anyhoo, I'd imagine three or four of them did. The point I'm trying to make is while a good team spirit can be a highly positive attribute there are far more important elements to a quality football team. Namely quality and a well thought out game plan.

For what it's worth I think it'll be Spain and Germany battling it out for the tournament.

Mind you, this should be viewed in light of the fact I care about England so little, I'd happily stick the squad in a bus and have it driven over a cliff.

You'd lose your £20 million striker though.

Obviously, without Bent in it.

Gareth Barry's going right up the front, mind.

Oxlade-Chamberlain? how much has he played for Arsenal this season? No-one could realistically justify taking him at this stage. Same goes for Jack Rodwell, there seems to be some kind of wideheld opinion that because a player is young and hasn't played much, they will obviously be an upgrade on the current side. There is no way Rodwell should be in the squad ahead of any of the current lot based on recent performances.

Oxlade-Chamberlain? how much has he played for Arsenal this season? No-one could realistically justify taking him at this stage. Same goes for Jack Rodwell, there seems to be some kind of wideheld opinion that because a player is young and hasn't played much, they will obviously be an upgrade on the current side. There is no way Rodwell should be in the squad ahead of any of the current lot based on recent performances.

Rodwell will play regularly this season. Even then he's shown enough to justify his place above the like of Barry.

I'd be happy to go with Sturridge & Bent as the strikers with Carroll & Agbonlahor as cover, with Downing & Young on the wings, with Wilshere & Parker in the centre. Fuck Rooney. Think we could do a bit of damage down the flanks and with two goalscorers.

The only damage we'd be doing there is to our already limited chances.

He's played 5 out of 6 games for Everton so far this season.

I'd be happy to go with Sturridge & Bent as the strikers with Carroll & Agbonlahor as cover, with Downing & Young on the wings, with Wilshere & Parker in the centre. f*** Rooney. Think we could do a bit of damage down the flanks and with two goalscorers.

I don't think it'd make much difference to our chances one bit.

Well, my justification is more with a view to future tournaments rather than this one. Spain have this one won - not to say we shouldn't try, but I think it's really important to cull those who won't (shouldn't) be there at Brazil 2014 (Lampard, Gerrard). This is a transitional tournament IMO.

If England are ever to emulate/reach the heights set by other top class international teams - they need to be a team, so getting them playing together young seems sensible to me. I'm a naive idealist mind you. I don't give that much of a toss about international football (well, not England anyway) so my opinion could very well be fickle on this particular issue. :laugh:

I'd be happy to go with Sturridge & Bent as the strikers with Carroll & Agbonlahor as cover, with Downing & Young on the wings, with Wilshere & Parker in the centre. f*** Rooney. Think we could do a bit of damage down the flanks and with two goalscorers.

4-4-2 with Bent and Sturridge upfront? Downing and Young? Parker?

Come on man.

4-4-2 with Bent and Sturridge upfront? Downing and Young? Parker?

Come on man.

Barring Rooney, isn't that pretty much how we'll line up anyway? I'd prefer Downing on the left than Walcott on the right as well with two out-and-out strikers.