Footy book recommendations

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Is Soccernomics an interesting read and will it tell me anything I don't already know, or is it bog-reading like the price on Kobo suggests?

Also, is Inverting The Pyramid as enthralling as I want it to be? Or is it overly pretentious and dated?

Have read the biographies of Sir Bobby, Sir Alex and Harry Redknapp recently - thoroughly enjoyed all. Think I might try Bergkamp's next, looks a good read. Not really interested in Pirlo. Wish there were more Newcastle ones.

There's loads of Newcastle ones if you buy physical books, which might be impossible for you atm. Shearer, Ferdinand, Ginola x2, Keegan, Cole, Beardsley and Lee all have books out off the top of my head.

Didn't enjoy Soccernomics that much. Wasn't that interesting, and didn't buy into a lot of the ideas it tried to push. Inverting the Pyramid is better than you'll expect though. The balance between tactics and stories is basically perfect, it's a lot more than just formations and how they changed.

Completely agree about Inverting The Pyramid as well, Wilson is a quality writer and you should look out for his other works.

Also if you've got a tablet with you try and buy some of the versions of The Blizzard. Football writing at its very best. :thup:

I'm currently reading "Running with the Firm" by James Bannon.

Story of the undercover officers who infiltrated Millwalls radgies in the late 80's and upon whose case the film ID was loosely based.

It's very interesting being from a covert police officers perspective.

Guest antz1uk

going on holiday in a couple of weeks, already downloaded ibrahimovic' book, can anyone tell me if the 'i am the secret footballer' is any good?

cheers  O0

going on holiday in a couple of weeks, already downloaded ibrahimovic' book, can anyone tell me if the 'i am the secret footballer' is any good?

cheers  O0

It's good, but you'll read it in no time at all.

Guest antz1uk

Haha didn't even look at the price. Think I can about stretch to that. Even the ibra book I'd only about £3.50 I think

Different kind of football book and might be Giggs, but for an insight into the boardroom politics/corporate culture of the club Denis Cassidy's The day the promises had to stop. Its not exactly full of unpredictable twists (i.e. It was all just as big a shambles as we all assumed) and there is a little inherent bias but interesting to get a view from the inside nonetheless.

It's canny funny like. Totally different to your usual footballers autobiography as well as he actually seems to have an opinion on things.

You read the Bergkamp one? Supposed be similar I remember reading somewhere.

Guest antz1uk

Different kind of football book and might be Giggs, but for an insight into the boardroom politics/corporate culture of the club Denis Cassidy's The day the promises had to stop. Its not exactly full of unpredictable twists (i.e. It was all just as big a shambles as we all assumed) and there is a little inherent bias but interesting to get a view from the inside nonetheless.

£6.50 on kindle store, balls to that i'll find a hard copy for less somewhere