Permanent 100% cpu usage

BlueStar

My graphics card went tits-up recently and started making my screen go funky green patterns and causing my computer to shut down. So I've just got a little Palit Geforce 8400GS Super as a replacement. Installed it and it fixed the problem. Thing is my CPU is now always at 100%, so the system is totally unusable. Task manager in Win 7 says it's "system interrupt request" chomping it all up. Google shows lots of people with the same problem but nothing I've found useful for solving it. Any ideas?

My graphics card went tits-up recently and started making my screen go funky green patterns and causing my computer to shut down. So I've just got a little Palit Geforce 8400GS Super as a replacement. Installed it and it fixed the problem. Thing is my CPU is now always at 100%, so the system is totally unusable. Task manager in Win 7 says it's "system interrupt request" chomping it all up. Google shows lots of people with the same problem but nothing I've found useful for solving it. Any ideas?

In these cases I always find  a £40 quid trip to the local independent computer repair guy much more beneficial than the hours I've wasted trawling google.

Are the fans spinning like it's going at 100%? Or is the system quiet but the os thinks you are fully loaded?

I'm guessing the second and a software problem, you checked task manager to see what is running, plus the processes screen, see there is nothing stuck, or looping.

You could also try and end processes one by one, obviously leave the important stuff till last.

I've managed to get my Mem fully loaded then dumped when badly programming, I'd imagine the same could be done for CPU processes.

Theres a crazy issue with SATA cables that causes a problem an awful lot like this especially in Windows 7. Might want to make sure your cables are all connected properly. Sounds daft I know but I had the same problems after changing over a knackered power supply. I only found out what was happening after a hunt view the event viewer and saw  a fair bit of stuff about errors passing data.

None of the actual processes show as using more than a fraction of the CPU in task manager, it's only when I go into system monitor that I see the system interrupts going crazy.  My last graphics card needed its own power supply and this one doesn't seem to, apart from that everything's connected as before.  Could it be that the graphics are still being handled onboard rather than by my gpu?

None of the actual processes show as using more than a fraction of the CPU in task manager, it's only when I go into system monitor that I see the system interrupts going crazy.  My last graphics card needed its own power supply and this one doesn't seem to, apart from that everything's connected as before.  Could it be that the graphics are still being handled onboard rather than by my gpu?

Check BIOS, there should be an option to choose. Would be strange still for CPU to be 100% just because you are running onboard graphics. Have you looked at Event Viewer for any errors ?

I'll have a look when I get in - my cpu's not so great, so running windows 7 at my monitors native res might be a bit of a strain for it.  It's also difficult to actually try to find out what the problem is because obviously every time I click on anything I have to wait five minutes for the 0.1% of CPU reamining to act on it.

Nope, still at 100% in safe mode.  Ran some programme that checks the interrupts and get horrible red bars on the graph the whole time.  Disable the graphics card and they go down to green and the CPU usage falls down to about 70%, so it seems it's a gfx card issue.  Got the latest drivers, so not sure what else to try...

Pull the card out, give it a wipe, check the slot, stick it back in?

Sounds like a hardware issue if you have the same problem with no drivers loaded.

You could also try booting from some or other Linux live CD. If it's a hardware problem, you'd expect that to be fucked, too. If it's a Windows problem, not so much.

Seeing as you were having problems with the old card, the slot might be fucked (either as the cause or a result of the last card's failure).

Hmm, good point.  Might try a BIOS update and if I hav no joy buy a new mobo, think it's time for an accross the board upgrade anyway I guess.

Be sure to check if the card and slot are clean first. Might just be a bit of fluff on one of the pins.

Also, can you put the card in a different slot? (I haven't built a computer since AGP slots, so I've no idea if that's possible these days.)