Our "easy" start to the season

Benwell Lad

Anyone who can think for themselves will realize this argument is bullshit. We've drawn two teams in the top believed top 6, the rest of the league is pretty much in the same group. Does losing to Man Utd or City mean this whole run of form was a fluke? It's not like we're fighting for the title, the most realistic option for us in Europa League, and we've so far beaten the teams we need to in order to be on that path. And obviously the fact we've picked up ten more points with these fixtures than last years proves what a shit argument it is.

Jackpot.

We shouldn't lose heavily to Man Utd really, we are capable of scoring against them as well. Man City and Chelsea, aye they'll probably destroy us. But we should be prepared for that and not let it get us down.

Man U's defence is pretty much dodgy without Vidic there so we could very well nick a goal at Old Trafford. Norwich played well there so why can't we?

Vidic will be well back by then(back tonight actually). Could still nick a goal but it's going to be the other end that's most important if Newcastle are to get anything at Old Trafford.

Seen loads of positive articles about your team and how you're doing.

It's not really the point for me though, they change their minds every few days so they can write a good story instead of actually trying to gauge things over the long-term. I just really dislike the way they target teams and managers and I'm not even talking about NUFC here. I don't like the way they've treated Beckham at times or Wenger. Even people like Mclaren and Capello, I may not like them as managers but ss soon as they become a pack hunting after some one there's something disgusting about it.

We've not had a horrible fixture list by any means, but we've had some difficult games. Where we've improved on recent seasons (and i'll go as far back as Bobby's last year), is that we've consistently won games that we should be winning. Games like Fulham, Blackburn and Wolves are ones where we should be picking up at least seven points. They're tough matches but we're better than all three, and that has shown. We've dropped seriously attainable points in the recent past, and that's where we're different this year.

Obviously, it remains to be seen whether or not it can be sustained. Spurs was the litmus test but i think Wigan and Stoke will tell us more about where we are. Four points is realistic, three is a necessity. After Sunday, we've officially exited the "start-of-the-season". We're into the meat of it now. The next two matches will ascertain whether or not it was simply an early buzz, or if we've actually turned a corner.

I'm optimistic and excited because so far, we're making a real claim for being 'best of the rest'. And that's the target this year.

We shouldn't lose heavily to Man Utd really, we are capable of scoring against them as well. Man City and Chelsea, aye they'll probably destroy us. But we should be prepared for that and not let it get us down.

Man U's defence is pretty much dodgy without Vidic there so we could very well nick a goal at Old Trafford. Norwich played well there so why can't we?

Vidic will be well back by then(back tonight actually). Could still nick a goal but it's going to be the other end that's most important if Newcastle are to get anything at Old Trafford.

So I see. Well in any case, Vidic is your rock in defence. Though don't know what's wrong with Ferdinand, looks like his injury/fitness problems have knacked him if that's fair to say?

Seen loads of positive articles about your team and how you're doing.

Sure, there have been a lot of positive articles, almost like a bandwagon going in the opposite direction to the one they were all on a couple of months ago.

The OP was about most mentioning the so called "easy start", but our relative success so far has been a result of skill,hard work and excellent organisation and has very little to do with the fixture list.

I think what has shocked alot if the media is our performances and also now they can be arsed to do research and realise the players we have signed are not all french journeymen, but ones who are held in high esteem by their countries media.  Thing that worries me though is that whats up with Marveaux, I often wonder if Pardew has a problem with his training or something, can't think of a reason why we haven't seen him more despite his clear ability.

I think what has shocked alot if the media is our performances and also now they can be arsed to do research and realise the players we have signed are not all french journeymen, but ones who are held in high esteem by their countries media.  Thing that worries me though is that whats up with Marveaux, I often wonder if Pardew has a problem with his training or something, can't think of a reason why we haven't seen him more despite his clear ability.

I think he either sees him as a left winger only and with Gutierrez being in his current form he cant realy drop Jonas, or he thinks given some games Obertan will realy come in to his own.

At the moment who are the 'top teams' anyway? Now that we've had a good look at us and the rest, I'd say the only teams that we would play and have very little chance of getting any points out of the game are Man United, City and Chelsea (moreso Man Utd and Chelsea in my opinion). We can legitimately expect at least a point from any other team we face. If we are still going well by the time we face one of these three teams and they still say we've had an easy start, I'd say, ''Then it's mostly an easy league!''

Anyone who can think for themselves will realize this argument is bullshit. We've drawn two teams in the believed top 6, the rest of the league is pretty much in the same group. Does losing to Man Utd or City mean this whole run of form was a fluke? It's not like we're fighting for the title, the most realistic option for us in Europa League, and we've so far beaten the teams we need to in order to be on that path. And obviously the fact we've picked up ten more points with these fixtures than last years proves what a shit argument it is.

:thup:

Out of interest, how many points do you think you would have picked up if you had our start to the season?

Aye something like that, so much is based on confidence to after positive results and building momentum. Boltons run of initial fixtures was really unfair tbh, not many teams would be above the bottom 5/6 after that.

It seems to me that the record against top-half and record against bottom-half statistics are really tricky early in the season.

If you lose to a team (as opposed to merely drawing) you greatly increase their chances of being in the top half. Arsenal are currently a "top-half side" with 10 points. Wolverhampton are 16th with 7 points. That's a win between them.

Sure, we've played most of our games against teams in the bottom-half of the table. We've put them there.