Academies Shakeup worries lower league clubs

Tiresias

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/19/football-league-academies

Representatives of the 72 Football League clubs are to vote on Thursday morning on a proposed revolution to the player academy system, amid disquiet that the proposals are being forced through by the powerful Premier League clubs that drew them up and stand most to benefit from them. The chief concern with the elite player performance plan (EPPP) is the new "compensation formula", which would replace the existing tribunal system and make it significantly easier and cheaper for Premier League clubs to recruit young talent from lesser teams.

I think this is a pretty terrible idea, if anything I'd go the other way and make it harder for premier league teams to snatch up players. It's not that I don't want us pilfering great talent, but I think what already happens, and will happen is that more youth talent is bought up at a young age to premier league, where they languish in the reserves and never break through. Some will obviously get loaned out, but I think it's healthier for players to play in first teams for a longer stretch before moving up to next level.

At the same time top clubs will be exempted from the current rules preventing them from signing under-16s who live more than 90 minutes' travelling distance away (or an hour for under-12s), allowing them to scout and sign players from anywhere in the country. "If a club wants a player that badly then they pay what he's worth, and he goes," the director of a leading Football League academy told the Guardian. "But with the derisory compensation they're proposing I'm not sure the clubs will want all the players they're getting. They may just be casting the net."

Wouldn't want premiership teams just buying players just because it's cheap. Hmmmm.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Talked a little about the EPPP in the Coaching Badges and Reserve/Youth thread. Not sure what I think about as a whole, but parts of it are needed - even if its only as an incentive/badget collecting exercise.

Look at Germany; the amount of paid coaches in youth development over there is amazing! However, yeah, could be an issue for smaller clubs losing players and not gaining correct compensation.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

One of the parts of the shake up is that Reserve teams become Development Squads (U21s if you like), which most Premier League clubs are doing already. There's other things as well, like all Academy Coaches have UEFA B Licences, and the club employing x amount of staff for a certain grade. Each grade rewards the club with more benefits/grants. So from a purely selfish point of view it'll (hopefully) open doors on the coaching ladder.

will probably just kill acedemies outside the premier league as they lose their best prospects for a pittance and wonder whats the point

also read that the premier league is holding the football league clubs hostage by threatening to cut off the solidarity payment if they don't pass it which is a disgraceful thing to do.

hell I wonder if this will just kill acedemies outside of the likes of man u as they just snap up every half decent kid in sight

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

:lol:

Overall its a great idea, and I like it, it needs to be done, but the way they've pretty much destroyed the compensation side of it for lower clubs is wrong.

Guest Heneage

Overall its a great idea, and I like it, it needs to be done, but the way they've pretty much destroyed the compensation side of it for lower clubs is wrong.

I understand that for you it's beneficial, so you're always secretly going to be in favour of it or at least sections of it. The problem is it seems to just further widen the gap between the Premier League and those below it.

the removal of the radius for recruitment has also got to be a major worry for everyone let alone lower league clubs, whats going to stop Man U from popping along around Newcastle or in Birmingham for example and just nabbing every single decent prospect for their academy

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

the removal of the radius for recruitment has also got to be a major worry for everyone let alone lower league clubs, whats going to stop Man U from popping along around Newcastle or in Birmingham for example and just nabbing every single decent prospect for their academy

Clubs have been getting around this for years with 'satellite' academies/developmental clubs on the boarder of their radius, such as Southampton.

I understand that for you it's beneficial, so you're always secretly going to be in favour of it or at least sections of it. The problem is it seems to just further widen the gap between the Premier League and those below it.

Overall, its suppose to be a good thing, but the compensation bit is horrid. Suppose to encourage clubs to invest in youth development, and youth coaches, but clearly, at the same time, its taken away with this stupid comp ruling.

Clubs have been getting around this for years with 'satellite' academies/developmental clubs on the boarder of their radius, such as Southampton.

Overall, its suppose to be a good thing, but the compensation bit is horrid. Suppose to encourage clubs to invest in youth development, and youth coaches, but clearly, at the same time, its taken away with this stupid comp ruling.

it will just to the opposite, very few clubs outside the premier league will bother with youth development for much longer after this, why bother if your just going to get a pittance for it?

The fact the lower club is potentially worse off from this new rule is not on. I see how it might be a good idea for the player (better facilities, greater chance of development) but I'd prefer them to develop at their local clubs - local pride and all that.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

it will just to the opposite, very few clubs outside the premier league will bother with youth development for much longer after this, why bother if your just going to get a pittance for it?

That's what I meant, the idea needed to be done, but they've went about it the completely wrong way. Germany is the nation they should have used as a model, as that's the country most like us in some ways (rather than Spain who have decades of development). I'm not defending the compensation ruling at all, but the actual reform towards trying to promote youth development - yes, that needed to be done. Yet, its pointless with this stupid comp ruling.

Thought there were FIFA regulations governing compensation?

Page 34 onwards, although no figures are given.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/01/06/30/78/statusinhalt_en_122007.pdf

I think we have additional regulations in Spain, with payments triggering as players get professional games under their belt, but I'm no expert.

Ah, found the table with the baseline amount of compensation per year of training, depending on the category of the purchasing club:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/01/43/76/84/zirkularnr.1264-regulationsonthestatusandtransferofplayers-categorisationofclubsandregistrationperiods.pdf

It's on page 4. Rather low amounts to be said. If I understood the legalese correctly, you multiply those amounts (it's safe to assume Premiership clubs are Category I) by the amount of years the origin club trained the player.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Sky Sports News Special Report on this next Monday 7pm. Looks like they're talking to Boro, which should be interesting considering how highly Boro regard their Academy.