Pulling out of challenges

bowlingcrofty
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

After I tore my cruciate ligament and came back, I did bottle a few 50/50s which is very unlike me. At first it's definitely a mental thing, however once you get around it, you should go back in. I thought Hatem seemed to get quite stuck in yesterday though?

Erm, yes?

/thread

Erm, discussion.

thread/

I don' think there is much of a discussion to be had here regarding that specific situation involving Hatem.  Consequently, it's 100% acceptable to pull out of 50/50s in certain situations.

Erm, yes?

/thread

Erm, discussion.

thread/

I don' think there is much of a discussion to be had here regarding that specific situation involving Hatem.  Consequently, it's 100% acceptable to pull out of 50/50s in certain situations.

So what are the situations that are acceptable? How to you judge?

Basically, situations that aren't particularly 'critical', in which you are looking to weight up the importance of winning the ball v's the safety of the player(s) involved.  You can easily conjure up a hypothetical situation or just use Ben Arfa's incident from yesterday.  So, say winning 1-0 with 10 minutes to go and the ball is deep in the opponents half.  Either way, there are going to be moments where winning the ball back isn't that important and player safety can take priority.

Of course, there is the mental side to consider, so Hatem lacked the confidence to make a tackle.  But still, if Hatem is still pulling out of such challenges in 6 months time I wont be particularly concerned if he is performing in other areas as you would hope/expect.

Completely depends on the situation.

Sometimes it's not even a question of bottle - if a ball isn't an actual 50-50, there's not very much point going in sliding on your backside like Scott Parker. If we're thinking of the same incident, HBA wouldn't have made that ball first even if he had gone in full-blooded.

Sometimes, yes, it's definitely worth going in and you deserve criticism if you withhold anything - but others it's better to maybe give the impression you're going in - but actually focus on reacting to where the ball will go and getting the second ball.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Depends on the type of tackle. There were a few front on collisions with cloggers like Caldwell sliding straight at him that absolutely he should have got out the way of. It is and was those type of collisions that break legs.

He has in the game yesterday and at Forest gone in for a couple of hard slide tackles just from different angles where it is far less likely for serious injury to occur. Fine by me.