Stoke City vs Newcastle United pre-match thread (31/10/11 @ 8pm) - Live on Sky

Fenham Mag

Think we just have to have a real go at them using our strengths and not try and match up to their bully tactics. Don't get me wrong you've got to be tough in games like this but get at their full backs and with some incisive play we can get goals there, Liverpool proved that last night even if it was the Cup.

Despite the hatred, Stoke are very good at what they do.

We keeping coming up short against them because we keep trying to match them at what they're best at (long balls, set pieces, aerial threat etc.)

Like Beren mentioned earlier, the way to beat them is to get around the fullbacks and play football on the ground. If we do that, we'll see a positive result.

I'll wait until I see the teamsheet before I decide on a scoreline.

Guest ykmkmdd

A few people saying we just need to get the ball down and pass around them - a lot easier said than done on such a small pitch, the relative lack of space is one of the main reasons their way of playing is so effective.

Need to match them in the midfield battle first and foremost, very important for Cabaye and Tiote to hold the centre. Obertan will probably play for his relative aerial strength, and I reckon Pardew might be wary of throwing Santon and Ben Arfa into this one so I think we could well be unchanged again....

Also I hope Krul cuts the needless long punts out, it'll be bread and butter for Stoke's centre halves. A quick passing game is the way forward.

If there's one criticism I have of Krul, it's his reluctance to get the ball out to the full backs quickly... though to be fair I'm sure that's due in part to who the full backs are.

If you looked left and right, saw Simpson hiding and Raylor beeing 3 ft from a languishing walters would you throw the ball to a fullback? doubt it. One of the reasons why we have to punt it long is because our fullbacks aren't capable ballplayers enough.

This is actually a game I would want us to line up like this:

krul

Santon/simmo Taylor, Cini, Raylor/Santon

Tiote

Cabaye  Gosling

Marveaux                      Gutierrez

Ba/best

Reason? A small pitch against a clogger side is perfect to pack midfield. We got pace and trickery along the wings wich should give their static fullbacks something to work on. Ba or best should lead the line and pressure the oponent on their backfoot as the most offensive midfield duo tries to get along in attack. Another reason is, Gosling got more height as does Santon. Defo needs to play. Hell might even swap willo for coloccini, but injury problems is a hindreance.

Because the of the small pitch our midfielders will practically be almost offensive midfielders aswell and should have no problemo traveling the distance to get to the box area. We know cabaye got a good finishing and is unlucky to not have more goals in his tally so far this season. Best/Ba can score out of almost anything. What will be key is to get the ball in the channels in this game and be more of a hindreance to stokes play then they allready are themself.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Do Stoke tend to go 4-4-2?

Think so. Probably Walters alongside Crouch who does all the tracking back and becoming the 5th midfielder.