Stoke City vs Newcastle United pre-match thread (31/10/11 @ 8pm) - Live on Sky

Fenham Mag

Interviewer on NUFCTV reckoned Tiote was doubtful.

Yeah the story on official site said he was a doubt BUT this is Tiote so fingers crossed.

Tiote will be needed in this game. We're a small side and it'll be such a huge bonus to have a bit of a physical presence in the middle. That said, it won't help our cause if we're sucked into playing their game. Far better off trying to concentrate on what we do best. Would love to beat these cavemen.

See no reason why we wouldn't go there and play our usual passing game. We didn't resort to long balls against Wigan despite waiting 75 mins for a goal. We've certainly got it in us to win this.

Agree.. keep the ball on the deck and move it quick, no point at all taking the aerial route in this game, do that it will be coming straight back at us.

Pards need to work on some creative ideas for corners and freekicks, high balls into the box are not going to work to well.

It's very nice to have some players who can strike from range (after what seems like a long drought). I'm thinking of Cabaye and Ben Arfa in particular, but even Obertan, Tiote and Marveaux are beginning to strike from the edge of the area (albeit with less quality/power/direction!).

I think firing in really low and direct shots/cross-cum-shots might be very potent against Stoke. In addition to getting around full-backs, they're not fantastic technical defenders so firing balls low into their box will undoubtedly give them more problems than lofted balls - even from wide areas. Their strength in defending is brute strength and congestion - a bit of Luck o' the Lampard (read: deflection luck) might not go astray if we can conjure some space on the edge of their box.

Guest ToonUltra

I reckon if Tiote isnt fit for this, Guthrie will start based on his performace last night. I personally thought he was fantastic. Stood out a mile for me. Hopefully, if he does start, that will give us the edge which they dont have, especially if Marv starts aswell. Cutting pace through the middle to exploit there forward facing full back retards. Im feeling quite upbeat for this judging on last nights result. To go 2-0 down and still get through to ET in injury time was fantastic and remebering that was up against one of the most physical teams in the league IMO. With the likes of Silverback Samba, made it that more difficult. So long as we utilise the pace we have and play the ball down and quickly, we could get all 3 here. Im gunna pip for 1-3. We have to limit conceding set pieces....blackburn even managed to turn 3 set pieces into goals against us.....fuck knows what Stoke could do. Unlss we play Shola in defence with Saylor & Colo.

Hate these cunts!

Their home form this season and last is quite remarkable. However they have had a couple of slip-ups i.e Losing to Blackpool, Fulham and Wigan at home last season. They aren't unbeatable by any stretch. Saying that , i would be delighted with a point.

I just hope we put a decent performance in like we did at Aston Villa.

We played more than our fair share of long ball against Wigan tbf.

i dont remember that much of it to be honest, a few knocked to best's feet but not that much in the air. then again i had 'we wont win any games by keeping the ball, get it forward' sitting next to me so perhaps my memory is skewed.

We played more than our fair share of long ball against Wigan tbf.

i dont remember that much of it to be honest, a few knocked to best's feet but not that much in the air. then again i had 'we wont win any games by keeping the ball, get it forward' sitting next to me so perhaps my memory is skewed.

First half with the 4-4-2 we played more than normal, probably due to us not getting much joy in the middle of the park.  Simpson and S.Taylor being the main culprits, in fairness to them, we didn't offer much off the ball and you could see them looking about a bit for another pass, before punting it aimlessly upfield.

Looking at Stoke's forum and it's just like RTG Mk2.

I think id like see Crouch and Jones given ago..as Newcastles back four imo are terrible..Steven Taylor is massively over rated and that poodle is the worst excuse for a centre back ive ever seen..might aswell take advantage of their weakness

Such a massive weakness, conceding the least amount of goals in the league.

Krul

Santon    Saylor    Coloccini      Raylor

Tiote    Cabaye

Marveaux          Ben Arfa          Gutierrez

Ba

Looking at Stoke's forum and it's just like RTG Mk2.

I think id like see Crouch and Jones given ago..as Newcastles back four imo are terrible..Steven Taylor is massively over rated and that poodle is the worst excuse for a centre back ive ever seen..might aswell take advantage of their weakness

Such a massive weakness, conceding the least amount of goals in the league.

Fuck's sake.

Play Jonas wide right gives more cover for Simpson and Jonas gets to cross right footed.. Marv on the left has a more natural angle to cut inside and have a shot, lets face it he has a better shot on him than Jonas... Taylor has enough help at the back from Colo and Marv will get back and help out.

-----------------Krul

Simo-----Tayls-------Colo-----RTay

Jonas-----Cab--------Tiote-----Marv

------------Ba---------Best

SUBS: Elliot, Santon, Perch, Guthrie, Sammy, HBA, Obertan

IF Tiote misses out, start Guthrie and put Gosling on the bench.

People still not gotten over Coloccini's mistakes in our relegation season I see.

In fairness, the impression Bolton/Stoke/Blackburn get of Colo must be much worse than the rest of the league. He has struggled with physicality previously. Not always of course.