The five reasons behind Newcastle United’s unexpected revival

Dave

Wait till we've played City and Utd before saying that, man.

Bobby's team was collectively good defensively, but it didn't stop us from conceding 11 goals against Man U in 02-03.

it goes against my football principles, but because we have points in the bag,I think we should go and park the bus in Manchester for two games. If we can get 2 points from 3 fixtures= happy.

Krul.

For me the only player that could be a reason onto himself. Not Cabaye, certainly not Ben Arfa.  We're better in midfield and that's largely down to Cabaye, but Krul is such an enormous step up from what we had with Harper. I don't think his importance can be overestimated.

I agree. The value of a good keeper in form is often under-estimated, both within the professional game and outside IMO.

Wait till we've played City and Utd before saying that, man.

Bobby's team was collectively good defensively, but it didn't stop us from conceding 11 goals against Man U in 02-03.

Point of order Ronaldo,

Theres only one Utd in here.

:knuppel2:

Let them write all the crap they want as long as the fans don't start believing it all. 

I know I have watched a team all season that hasnt quite hit the right chord yet but has been dogged and Lucky. As for picking players out  :jesuswept: We all know there's quite a few deserve special mention long before we get to our French prodigy.

A top 7 or 8 finish would still be a massive result imo especially given the loss of 2 or 3 players to the African cup in January.

Lets just quietly look towards some decent additions in January and next summer without too much upheaval and then see if we are good enough to bite at the heels of the "big" boys.

Point three is a bit over the top but did anyone bother to read it properly?

3) The return of Hatem Ben Arfa

A difficult character, he was watched by virtually every top Premier League club at Marseille before eventually moving to Newcastle, initially on loan, in August last year. A brief glimpse of his ability was cut short by a career-threatening double leg break 12 months ago, but his return to the squad has felt like a new superstar signing for Pardew.

The France international is being eased into things after so long on the sidelines and has looked short of sharpness, but his very presence has scared opposition defenders whenever he has come off the bench. A potential match winner who has cranked up competition for places even while short of best form, one seasoned United campaigner described him as “the most naturally gifted player” they have ever shared a dressing room. Will play in the hole behind the main striker, a traditional number ten role English defenders always struggle to control.

It's a weird point to make but everything he says is true.  All the world could see that once he came on for Best against Wigan we started to pin them back in their half and he also helped create more space for Cabaye.  I wouldn't say its one of the five main reasons for our form but he has helped.

1. Sunderland are rubbish

2. Fulham are one of the worst away teams in the world

3. Blackburn are awful

4. Wolves are crap

5. Wigan are poor

A difficult character, he was watched by virtually every top Premier League club at Marseille before eventually moving to Newcastle, initially on loan, in August last year. A brief glimpse of his ability was cut short by a career-threatening double leg break 12 months ago, but his return to the squad has felt like a new superstar signing for Pardew.

The France international is being eased into things after so long on the sidelines and has looked short of sharpness, but his very presence has scared opposition defenders whenever he has come off the bench. A potential match winner who has cranked up competition for places even while short of best form, one seasoned United campaigner described him as “the most naturally gifted player” they have ever shared a dressing room. Will play in the hole behind the main striker, a traditional number ten role English defenders always struggle to control.

It's a weird point to make but everything he says is true.  All the world could see that once he came on for Best against Wigan we started to pin them back in their half and he also helped create more space for Cabaye.  I wouldn't say its one of the five main reasons for our form but he has helped.

yeah but that was our last league game man, he missed the early part of the season through injury as well - that comment effectively only applies to the wigan game itself :lol:

yeah but that was our last league game man, he missed the early part of the season through injury as well - that comment effectively only applies to the wigan game itself :lol:

I think he contributed a bit against Spurs as well, in that sense.  I said the point he makes shouldn't be in the top five but everything in it is pretty much true IMO, obviously its hard to prove but I reckon some players have been spurred on by the competition for places which we've never had in recent history.

Let them write all the crap they want as long as the fans don't start believing it all. 

I know I have watched a team all season that hasnt quite hit the right chord yet but has been dogged and Lucky. As for picking players out  :jesuswept: We all know there's quite a few deserve special mention long before we get to our French prodigy.

A top 7 or 8 finish would still be a massive result imo especially given the loss of 2 or 3 players to the African cup in January.

Lets just quietly look towards some decent additions in January and next summer without too much upheaval and then see if we are good enough to bite at the heels of the "big" boys.

agree with that on the whole, however you say dogged and lucky. the best teams are dogged when they need to be and lucky ? certainly there were elements of luck v wolves and then when ? don't say QPR as poor finishing and good goalkeeping isn't luck and  if you want to go down that route you'd have to balance it with being unlucky against spurs and villa.

Guest firetotheworks

1. The quality/belief/professionalism whatever you want to call it running throughout the squad and staff.

2. Player and staff Recruitment (I personally think Graeme Carr is one of the best signings we've ever made)

3. Fixtures

4. Lack of injuries and suspensions

5. Luck

1. The quality/belief/professionalism whatever you want to call it running throughout the squad and staff.

2. Player and staff Recruitment (I personally think Graeme Carr is one of the best signings we've ever made)

3. Fixtures

4. Lack of injuries and suspensions

5. Luck

lack of injuries ? ben arfa, marveaux, santon all out injured, all players who would probably be in the starting XI if they were fully fit. you could add williamson, shola and possibly even ba at a push to that list.

agree with that on the whole, however you say dogged and lucky. the best teams are dogged when they need to be and lucky ? certainly there were elements of luck v wolves and then when ? don't say QPR as poor finishing and good goalkeeping isn't luck and  if you want to go down that route you'd have to balance it with being unlucky against spurs and villa.

The best teams are dogged, lucky and excellent. We are missing the excellent bit so far (Hopefully it starts tonight).

Re being lucky, all games have a few bits of good or bad sprinkled about, but yes I would say to come away from QPR with a point was extremely lucky  :lol:  (I know what you're getting at though).

Overall I just think we are team that is doing well yet not quite firing on all cylinders. Our biggest problem just seems to be getting the front six to harmonise and Im not sure I see any signs of that falling into place any time soon.

I think Cabaye and Tiote are spot on and I would also love to see Marveaux on the left wing. What then needs doing to get the mix right I am unsure. Personally I think it will need new personnel although I would be happy to see Jonas given a fresh challenge on the right.

Still a big building season for me.

The Tiote and Cabaye partnership: When on form this partnership is unbelievably good and they dictate everything about the way we play, it almost seems ridiculous that people were worried about losing Nolan and his goals now but it was a valid concern at the time, they've transformed us and both have been brilliant signings in terms of both quality and value.

Rewarding good form: I know people will point to Obertan but I think he's the exception here, while people have demanded the inclusion of Ben Arfa, Santon and Marveaux based on their quality Pardew has stuck with the players that he feels have deserved to keep the shirt and it's paying off for us, people know now that if you play well you will stay in the team and it's a big motivator for players.

Scouting network: I know some people are disappointed about the clubs net spend but the quality of player we've managed to bring in since we've been back in the premiership has been excellent, fingers crossed it can continue and we can keep the players we've got as some of them wouldn't look out of place in a CL side.

Togetherness and belief: The players, management and fans all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet and as a club we're benefiting, there's definitely a feeling of us being in it together and a belief in the players now that has been missing for a long time, fans seem to actually like and believe in the majority of players now and I don't think that has been the case since before Sir Bobby's final season, Hughton has to take credit for that too as he started it yet some how Pardew has built on it despite removing the players that were crediting themselves with building the great team spirit at the club.

Pardew: I think what he's achieved so far has been fantastic, he walked into a job where nobody wanted him and was taking over from a popular manager yet has some how turned it around for himself, despite losing Andy Carroll and not bringing in any long term signings in his first season (I'll not include Ben Arfa for arguments sake) he still improved on Hughton's points per games total despite having a much harder set of fixtures but it's this season he's really taken off.

With the chance to make his own stamp on the team he made drastic changes that have transformed us on the pitch and now we're seeing his team for the first time, the exciting thing about it all is it's still early days for the way he's trying to get us to play and we're not anywhere near being the finished article yet he's still managed to raise fans expectations for this season at the same time.

When you consider how long it took Sir Bobby to turn the club around and the completely different era of football we're in now in regards to finances from rich backers you've got to say he's done a fantastic job, fingers crossed he can continue it.

Spot on Baggio, although I think rewarding good form goes hand in hand with competition for places as well.

Also reading on, did Pardew really have a harder set of fixtures than Hughton?  I'd say they were pretty balanced - Hughton had to go to Man City, Man U and Arsenal remember, whilst Pardew still had two games against Birmingham and home games against West Ham, Wolves etc.

I agree he did really well that season considering he was deprived of Carroll and obviously has started this season fantastically.

Luke Edwards has also written another article previewing the Stoke game and says this:

But the changes have been evolutionary ones. A side that had character, played effective direct football but lacked pace, has been replaced by a mobile, slick passing unit that has retained the spirit the likes of Barton and Nolan were supposedly responsible for.

I've seen a few on here as well who seem to think we've suddenly become a side playing good passing football.  We've got the potential to do so and we've seen some glimpses of it so far but its a bit of a jump to call us this sort of team as yet.  Can't remember the thread but some people were saying Carroll wouldn't even fit into our style anymore.  Hopefully in time he won't, and its likely he won't if we keep signing gems like Cabaye, but its a bit soon to say we've become a good passing side.

Dunno why I'm bothering to post this here but there you go.

Luke Edwards has also written another article previewing the Stoke game and says this:

But the changes have been evolutionary ones. A side that had character, played effective direct football but lacked pace, has been replaced by a mobile, slick passing unit that has retained the spirit the likes of Barton and Nolan were supposedly responsible for.

I've seen a few on here as well who seem to think we've suddenly become a side playing good passing football.  We've got the potential to do so and we've seen some glimpses of it so far but its a bit of a jump to call us this sort of team as yet.  Can't remember the thread but some people were saying Carroll wouldn't even fit into our style anymore.  Hopefully in time he won't, and its likely he won't if we keep signing gems like Cabaye, but its a bit soon to say we've become a good passing side.

:thup:

Been some really good football this season in patches, but there was last season as well. The players we've brought in suggest at a slicker style but it's going too far to say we're there already. We've definitely played our share of long ball stuff in the games so far.

Spot on Baggio, although I think rewarding good form goes hand in hand with competition for places as well.

Also reading on, did Pardew really have a harder set of fixtures than Hughton?  I'd say they were pretty balanced - Hughton had to go to Man City, Man U and Arsenal remember, whilst Pardew still had two games against Birmingham and home games against West Ham, Wolves etc.

I agree he did really well that season considering he was deprived of Carroll and obviously has started this season fantastically.

For me your home games in this division are where you're going to pick up the majority of your points and Pardew had it tough, he played 6 of the top 7 at home where as Hughton had it fairly easy I think apart from Chelsea, I'll include Sunderland in that too as it's a high pressure fixture.

Away from home Hughton had both Manchester clubs, Arsenal and Everton where as Pardew had Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool and Sunderland.

Don't really want to take the thread off topic but for me he had it harder, the good thing this season is we're picking up the points where we should be which Hughton didn't do, even if he did have some spectacular results instead.

Been some really good football this season in patches, but there was last season as well. The players we've brought in suggest at a slicker style but it's going too far to say we're there already. We've definitely played our share of long ball stuff in the games so far.

He's jumping the gun but we're getting there, I remember reading an interview with Cabaye earlier in the season and he said about how Pardew has explained to him how he wants us to play and it was about the players getting used to it, like I said it is early days for his team still but looking back I can see the progress from the likes of the Sunderland and Arsenal performances to where we are now.

I also think the long ball is a decent option to have especially now we've got a lot more pace in the team compared to last season, Spurs used it really well up here this season when counter attacking so with the likes of Ben Arfa, Obertan and Jonas in the side it's something we could used if we're smart about it.

I do know what you mean though as we have played some aimless long ball stuff at times, I think changing players attitudes to the style we're playing is going to take time and when it isn't going to plan it's an easy option for players to launch it long, you see the same with England.

The Tiote and Cabaye partnership: When on form this partnership is unbelievably good and they dictate everything about the way we play, it almost seems ridiculous that people were worried about losing Nolan and his goals now but it was a valid concern at the time, they've transformed us and both have been brilliant signings in terms of both quality and value.

Rewarding good form: I know people will point to Obertan but I think he's the exception here, while people have demanded the inclusion of Ben Arfa, Santon and Marveaux based on their quality Pardew has stuck with the players that he feels have deserved to keep the shirt and it's paying off for us, people know now that if you play well you will stay in the team and it's a big motivator for players.

Scouting network: I know some people are disappointed about the clubs net spend but the quality of player we've managed to bring in since we've been back in the premiership has been excellent, fingers crossed it can continue and we can keep the players we've got as some of them wouldn't look out of place in a CL side.

Togetherness and belief: The players, management and fans all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet and as a club we're benefiting, there's definitely a feeling of us being in it together and a belief in the players now that has been missing for a long time, fans seem to actually like and believe in the majority of players now and I don't think that has been the case since before Sir Bobby's final season, Hughton has to take credit for that too as he started it yet some how Pardew has built on it despite removing the players that were crediting themselves with building the great team spirit at the club.

Pardew: I think what he's achieved so far has been fantastic, he walked into a job where nobody wanted him and was taking over from a popular manager yet has some how turned it around for himself, despite losing Andy Carroll and not bringing in any long term signings in his first season (I'll not include Ben Arfa for arguments sake) he still improved on Hughton's points per games total despite having a much harder set of fixtures but it's this season he's really taken off.

With the chance to make his own stamp on the team he made drastic changes that have transformed us on the pitch and now we're seeing his team for the first time, the exciting thing about it all is it's still early days for the way he's trying to get us to play and we're not anywhere near being the finished article yet he's still managed to raise fans expectations for this season at the same time.

When you consider how long it took Sir Bobby to turn the club around and the completely different era of football we're in now in regards to finances from rich backers you've got to say he's done a fantastic job, fingers crossed he can continue it.

Waiting to fail.... I think that's how most feel, with Liverpool Spuds & Arsenal all expected to finish above us.

We played Arsenal whilst they were shocking but as Wenger always does he now has them playing well, Spuds are now level in points with us and have a game in hand.

Yes we deserve to be where we are but I think its crazy to expect us to remain up there, I am not being negative just realistic.. God I hope we beat Stoke and manage to prolong out position but I think fans, players & manager know its not going to last forever.

Well for a start you can substitute the cynical "a spooky lack of injuries" to "a genuinely fitter squad". Sure, there was an element of bad luck in the days of Souness and Roeder, where injuries were an absolute joke, but it's not all down to that. We've had a much fitter set-up here ever since we got relegated.

Cynical?! We've had pretty much the same team all season, and the same back five in every league match IIRC. Say what you like about fitness but we've been fortunate that very few have picked up at least a knock to keep them out of a game. Don't get me wrong, long may it continue. It's just a point that I believe is valid and contributes to our success so far.

To be fair to Yorkie, I'm sure I'm not the only other person who reads the majority of your posts in a disapproving/cynical slant. You made it very clear you were anti the owners and the running of the club over the past couple of years - so, in the same way you might read my posts with a 'WUM' mentality, people read yours with the 'cynical' mentality.

As it so happens, you might be reluctantly* (?) enjoying this season but you're going to have to shake this cynical tag if you want people to give you a fair response.

*this is not to say that you don't want the club to do well, but you'd prefer it if Ashley fucked off and the club continued to improve.