MLB 2012

cubaricho

I thought we should leave the last topic as is (it's beautiful, a World Series win) and start next seasons' new topic with the first big news of the season:

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Tony La Russa retired as manager of the St. Louis Cardinals on Monday, three days after winning a dramatic, seven-game World Series against the Texas Rangers.

The 67-year-old La Russa announced his retirement at a news conference at Busch Stadium.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/10/31/tony.la.russa.retiring/index.html#ixzz1cNYYZjiD

You're getting Darvish for sure. I think he'll go for around 100m, pretty close to Daisuke. But the worry for me is that this guy looks more legit than Daisuke ever did. His fastball sits in the mid 90s, he has two other plus pitches and his background seems to suggest that he won't have trouble acclimatizing whereas Daisuke obviously shit the bed in this respect.

The interesting guy in free agency is Fielder. I reckon Pujols will stay just because no other major market team has a real opening at 1B. Then you have Fielder who's just had arguably his best season. If the Sox or Yankees needed a 1B then he would go for pretty much what Teixeira went for, but neither team needs a 1B. I could see him ending up with the Cubs, but I'm not sure whether it's the right fit because the Cubs are rebuilding.

Where is Reyes going to end up as well? The Mets aren't spending 100m on him.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/09/29/baseball-night-in-america/#more-8274

It's unhealthy to revisit such nights but I'm slowly moving on, which means that I'm catching up with every baseball-related post that Posnanski has made in the past two months, and this one was a very good one. I still don't know how we managed to lose at Baltimore and how the Rays beat the Yankees. God.

Anyway, something to enjoy while we wait for April.

Papelbon's deal is 4/50 with a 5th year option. It's too expensive for a reliever, even one as good as Papelbon. I don't know. It seems like we're really cleaning house here. I wouldn't be surprised if Papi was gone. We have holes at SP, RP and RF. We really, really need a couple of good starting pitchers, so I hope some of the money saved here would be spent there. Maybe Darvish? Or Buerhle?

I'd pissed off if we started the season with holes there because we maxed out our budget by stupidly giving Lacket 90m. That's the shittiest deal we've made in like 10 years. I can't believe Mike was right.

Papelbon's deal is 4/50 with a 5th year option. It's too expensive for a reliever, even one as good as Papelbon. I don't know. It seems like we're really cleaning house here. I wouldn't be surprised if Papi was gone. We have holes at SP, RP and RF. We really, really need a couple of good starting pitchers, so I hope some of the money saved here would be spent there. Maybe Darvish? Or Buerhle?

I'd pissed off if we started the season with holes there because we maxed out our budget by stupidly giving Lacket 90m. That's the shittiest deal we've made in like 10 years. I can't believe Mike was right.

Being completely serious, it's an absolute disaster of a deal, imo. He's too fuckup prone to get paid like that, I think.

Boston is going to be interesting. No manager, no GM, someone up there with...probably no plan is making personnel decisions. Not a good recipe.

We already have a GM. He's basically Theo's clone, which is good, I think. Except that he's come out and says that he's pushed very hard for Crawford. I hope he's just saying that to build up morale.

Nah, we can spend 100m but we don't want to get over the luxury tax. The Darvish thing will be 50 posting fee, 50 in contract. Only the contract part gets counted in luxury tax calculations, so if we're able to negotiate 5/50 with him, that'd be doable.

Crawford wasn't a bad move on paper, he just fucking hates living in Boston, most likely.

You're still waiting on your other Japanese starter to pay dividends, I don't think you'll go after another.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't believe how much we spunked on Papelbon. Christ above. We could have got Madson for $10-$15m cheaper I reckon, and he's a safer bet for me. Papelbon is too prone to giving up fly balls and CBP is pretty teeeeeny.

I'd actually like Amaro to pull off his usual ninja move and pluck out Reyes but it's not going to happen, J-Roll will be back.