O'Neill back for Milner in Jan

merlin

Martin O'Neill has confirmed that he WILL be interested in taking Milner to Villa in January.

Whilst not many on this site will be surprised, I think any approach will tell us several things about our standing in the Game.

Firstly, IF we have been taken over(which looks less likely each passing day)it will tell us if the player himself has confidence in the new set-up.

Secondly, it will tell us what the new Owners want to do with the Club - if I was in their position, no young player of Milner's status(Under 20 International with plenty of ability & right attitude) would be going ANYWHERE until the new Manager(which there will be in due course) has decided whether he wants them or not.

It may be that the player will want to leave anyway - he was treated shambolically last summer, being allowed to talk to O'Neill then called back at the last minute, so you couldn't blame him if he had had enough, esp after he was used by Souness as an example of players NOT to have('You'll never have success with a team of James Milners' - you'll never have success with a team of Peles either, but we won't start THAT debate..!!).

If the Club is still being run by the present incumbents , I am almost certain the player will leave.

He will , if he has any sense, know that NUFC are going nowhere fast under the present set-up, and the Club will need the money to make any new signings requested by Roeder. Any  fee of less than 6m will be a sell-out in my opinion, but I reckon he'll go for less than 5.

This will leave us needing a new right-sided midfielder as Solano is better suited to full-back these days - where are we going to find a replacement for less than Milner will bring(it has to be less, for we need the rest for other gaps in the team)?

Finally, to all those who STILL think O'Neill is not a good manager, it will be yet MORE salt rubbed into the wound -

whatever some fans think of him, Milner is still a young player and still highly-regarded by many in the game. If he feels Villa are a better bet than NUFC, its simply confirmation of our new, falling status in the game.

It will be interesting to see what happens !

We bought him for £5m didn't we?  So we should tell them to come in with £7.5m or they won't be talking to us OR Milner. 

Totaly agree, but you know what were like, we will say no then end up taking £4mill for him on the last day of the window.

We bought him for £5m didn't we?  So we should tell them to come in with £7.5m or they won't be talking to us OR Milner. 

Totaly agree, but you know what were like, we will say no then end up taking £4mill for him on the last day of the window.

Definately, if we are to sell him, we should do at a sizable profit, particularly in respect to Villa having cash to spend these days. Should put in clauses related to Villa qualifying for euro/winning something and also Milner gaining full England caps (considering his age - its more than possible)

I would hope we would have the common sense to take a player from them and some money I think we need the transfer funds but why point this out to anyone else by selling a talented player I know he has his weak points to his game but isnt he still 21. We all know Solano won't be lasting 90mins 2 games a week anymore he can come on and do a job for 30 mins or he can sit at right back and show Carr up to be the muppet extra he is.

5+ million please or go look else where

Definately, if we are to sell him, we should do at a sizable profit, particularly in respect to Villa having cash to spend these days. Should put in clauses related to Villa qualifying for euro/winning something and also Milner gaining full England caps (considering his age - its more than possible)

Also tell them if they do want him then "meet our price and get the deal done in 1 week from the start of the window of fk off"..

Guest Ridzuan

No,dont sell him.I think Milner is starting to play more games for us now and he is enjoying his time here as compared to last season and I hope this will somehow change his mind on a move to Villa.But with Freddy short of cash,you never know what he has in store for Milner.

Guest theunis

Yeah agree, Milner was treated like sheit, and if i was him i would tell Rouder to stick it. But as a fan, i hope we wount sell him, but if he does want to go we at least must try and make some profit of him. But lets hope he loves the club and his recent run in the team and decides to stay :)

Guest TheOrder

Or we could just not sell him, because he's a good player, and we're on the bones of our arse as it is? :thup:

Let's just say Villa turn around and say, "We want Milner, we know you need a centre-back, here's Mellberg. Straight swap".

Would you turn that down then?

But why? We're still not adding to our squad then, are we?

We need to keep Milner, and buy some fullbacks and a striker.

If we're getting rid of anyone, get rid of the absolute SHIT, and not get rid of a future England international.

Or we could just not sell him, because he's a good player, and we're on the bones of our arse as it is? :thup:

Let's just say Villa turn around and say, "We want Milner, we know you need a centre-back, here's Mellberg. Straight swap".

If we're getting rid of anyone, get rid of the absolute SHIT, and not get rid of a future England international.

We have two players more than capable of playing Milner's role (Solano & Dyer). Mellberg would p*ss on all of our centre-backs.

Therefore, yes, we're considerably strengthening the squad.

Guest TheOrder

We have two players more than capable of playing Milner's role (Solano & Dyer). Mellberg would p*ss on all of our centre-backs.

Therefore, yes, we're considerably strengthening the squad.

Solano is in his thirties, and Dyer, well, do i need to explain?

Guest Ridzuan

Milner is a young gem in the making.If we sell him to Villa or any other club,it would mean we will lose a great player and his new team will gain from our mistake.Whether they offfer 4m or more,which Im sure they wouldnt,we should not sell him.

Guest TheOrder

He'll be off quicker than shit off a stick. His transfer request will ensure we don't get more than £4m for him IMO.

Care to have a friendly wager Dave? 50 pounds he stays from me.

Do you accept paypal?

my only fear is that we will sell him for 4 or 5 millions!!

the guy is 20 yearsold,he is superb,he can play on both wings or behind the strikers,he is one of our few good players,if we let him go we will be stuck with duff for the rest of the season (As if we are not stuck with him now :D)

He'll be off quicker than shit off a stick. His transfer request will ensure we don't get more than £4m for him IMO.

Care to have a friendly wager Dave? 50 pounds he stays from me.

Do you accept paypal?

I'm not a betting man unfortunately. ;)

I just think after the fiasco this summer there's no way he'll pass up the chance to go back to Villa. They are looking up, and have a renowned manager who wants him. I'd be off if it was me tbh.