Looking ahead.............hypothetically

Guest magpie99

Guest magpie99

I read somewhere recently that a team with 25 points after 11 games in the PL over the past 15 seasons or so has only ONCE failed to end the season in the top 6.

Looking at our current position where we are currently 10 points clear of the 7th place club, Aston Villa, is it possible that if we keep collecting points at a reasonable rate, we could find ourselves finishing in the top 6 which would be an oustanding achievement.

With the current crop of players, there is little from Villa downwards that worries me personally but what if we achieved this. How would we be sitting coming the start of next season with a europa cup campaign possible?

Presently, we could learn from the Stoke City experience. They have lost all their PL fixtures after playing in europe including heavy defeats at Sunderland and Bolton who are no world beaters by any stretch of the imagination.

I think most people would agree that we are thin squad wise and many of our younger squad players will need to be loaned out sooner than later to gain the neccessary experience at senior level.

Add to the reluctance of the board to shell out money on signings and relying on nurturing our own, I would hate to find ourselves in Stokes position next season.

So, who could we pick up on the cheap next season?

We would have a number of outgoings with the liklihood of Smith, Lovenkrands, Perch leaving the club for one reason or another. The likes of Harper and Forster will probably join them and there is still the question of what happens to current loanees like Xisco and Lua Lua who will probably go to.

As I see it, the club will still look abroad to recruit but are there any players from prospective relegation candidates who could strengthen the squad.

WIGAN.........I think they are certainties to go down. 8 losses in a row with no obvious signs of improvement. I would take a good look at Moses and Al Habsi as possible signings.

BLACKBURN.....I think they will also go down too. Hoillett is the obvious talent there and whether we could get him in would depend on what opposition we would have in the summer. Samba is the other obvious candidate but I think Arsenal or Spurs  would be his desatination.

BOLTON......Strange team this. Their bad home start (5 losses in 5 games) might come back and haunt them at the end but I think they might just scramble to safety. They will probably sell Cahill as their prized asset especially as they are heavily in debt but other than him, I dont think they have anyone who would interest us.

STOKE CITY..........I see them as a good possibility of going down. They are an old team and their pacticipation in the europa league is doing them no favours. I think they will tire as the season goes on and will be a good candidate to go down. Once again, there is no one in their team I would buy.

WOLVES..........They might just stay up but of they were to go down, Roger Johnson might be a handy signing as a back up centre half and Hennessey as a back up keeper.

SUNDERLAND.........I think they will stay up but other than Sessegnon, they have little to interest us.

WBA............I think they will continue to struggle and will be in the fight. They have few top performers and noone that would improve us.

QPR.............What about signing Joey Barton back?......................only kidding..............I think they will spend big in january and scrape in much like Swansea and Norwich.

So, as for say 3 bargain basement signings from that little lot, I think efforts to sign Hoillett, Al Absi and Johnson would possibly improve us. If we lost out on Hoillett, I would go for Moses.

Of course, this is all hypothetical but if we were thinking ahead and looking at possible bargains, then maybe the work could start now, if not started already.

Erm, tbh I don't know about signing another striker/winger (Hoilett). How would we accommodate him in the squad?

Blackburn and Wigan should be going down, and even if they don't I don't think their star players would want to stay much longer. Samba, definitely, not sure about anyone else.

Guest ykmkmdd

Quite like the Spurs approach of using a completely different side for Europa League matches - gives your fringe players pitch time and the younger players games without having to loan them out.

This season we could put out: Elliott, Santon, Tavernier, Perch, Ferguson, Marveaux, Abeid, Vuckic, Gosling, Sameobi, Lovenkrands who could cope with most of the weaker sides in the competition.

If you make it to the quarter finals, bring out the big guns and go for it....

The league is different this year. I think there are 6 teams who are most definitely ahead of the rest and will more than likely take up the top 6. If we can catch 1 of them it would be Liverpool, but sadly I can see them getting the results they need.

Guest bimpy474

Looking at the league i think its a fight between us and Liverpool to which finishes 6th or 7th, but and this a biggy, if we make some clever buys in January then we could still stay in the fight for 4th, very unlikely but worth a dream like.

Looking at the league i think its a fight between us and Liverpool to which finishes 6th or 7th, but and this a biggy, if we make some clever buys in January then we could still stay in the fight for 4th, very unlikely but worth a dream like.

:lol:

1. Man City

2. Man Utd

3. Chelsea

4. Arsenal

5. Tottenham

6. Liverpool

7-9. Newcastle/Aston Villa/Everton

There is no change we will finish above Liverpool unless we make some great signings in January.

As long as we remain consistent against the rest of the league, and Liverpool don't, we don't necessarily have to be better than them to pip them.

10pts ahead of Villa

13pts ahead of Stoke

15pts ahead of Everton

15pts ahead of Sunderland

15pts ahead of Fulham

...already, these gaps look too big to close down. Anything below 7th would be very disappointing and if we get lucky with CC/FAC finalists that'd be enough for Europa League.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We know the first team is capable but our squad players haven't been tested. A few injuries will test our squad and that's when we could see points dropped.

A lot depends on us keeping the big performers fits such as Krul, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Gutierrez, Ba.

If Santon and Ben Arfa can get involved and up to speed it'll be a massive plus.

1. Man City

2. Man Utd

3. Chelsea

4. Arsenal

5. Tottenham

6. Liverpool

There is no change we will finish above Liverpool unless we make some great signings in January.

As long as we remain consistent against the rest of the league, and Liverpool don't, we don't necessarily have to be better than them to pip them.

Agreed. Also, I think Liverpool's depth - while expensive - is overrated. Beyond Suarez they don't have much incision up front, and while I rate Bellamy, not sure how he'd do in the long-run if something took Suarez out for a while.

Defensively, they don't seem brilliant to me either - though I'll say this - the whole team works very hard defensively off the ball.

The way I see it, 7th spot is ours to lose after the start to the season we've had. We've taken points off all our obvious main contenders (though maybe there is a wildcard who may challenge) and we've built up a strong foundation. There is no harm in dreaming or aiming higher though - and that ambition certainly shouldn't be met with derision or laughter.

Our first-team is capable of some great things, and given more time to gel and get to know each other - in terms of personnel - it's exciting to think of the type of football we can play with a bit more confidence, and a bit more of a fear factor in our opposition. There's no reason why they can't start to play a brand of football akin to Spurs, maybe better. The depth is the issue though - so far our squad players have come in and contributed very well, especially Guthrie.

10pts ahead of Villa

13pts ahead of Stoke

15pts ahead of Everton

15pts ahead of Sunderland

15pts ahead of Fulham

...already, these gaps look too big to close down.

http://t.qkme.me/3599y1.jpg

1. Man City

2. Man Utd

3. Chelsea

4. Arsenal

5. Tottenham

6. Liverpool

Agreed. Also, I think Liverpool's depth - while expensive - is overrated. Beyond Suarez they don't have much incision up front, and while I rate Bellamy, not sure how he'd do in the long-run if something took Suarez out for a while.

Defensively, they don't seem brilliant to me either - though I'll say this - the whole team works very hard defensively off the ball.

The way I see it, 7th spot is ours to lose after the start to the season we've had. We've taken points off all our obvious main contenders (though maybe there is a wildcard who may challenge) and we've built up a strong foundation. There is no harm in dreaming or aiming higher though - and that ambition certainly shouldn't be met with derision or laughter.

Our first-team is capable of some great things, and given more time to gel and get to know each other - in terms of personnel - it's exciting to think of the type of football we can play with a bit more confidence, and a bit more of a fear factor in our opposition. There's no reason why they can't start to play a brand of football akin to Spurs, maybe better. The depth is the issue though - so far our squad players have come in and contributed very well, especially Guthrie.

What if we're that wildcard  :undecided:

Guest optimistic nit
:lol: i will drink my own piss for a year if either qpr or stoke go down. the best thing about our start so far imo, is taht we have already played qpr, stoke, everton and villa (imo our main competition for 7th, regardless of current league position or form). we've beaten 2 of them, drawn against 2 and played 3 of the 4 away from home. going into the second half of the season facing 3 of our 4 main rivals at home will be an added advantage.

Guest optimistic nit

1. Man City

2. Man Utd

3. Chelsea

4. Arsenal

5. Tottenham

6. Liverpool

aye, i think we actually have a fairly good chance of doing so. very slim chance of finishing top 4 (very very slim), but finishing ahead of liverpool (i.e. 6th) is my main hope this season

Guest optimistic nit

QPR a challenger for 7th? What is this? :lol:

seen them play twice this season, they turned us over and are the only team that i would say we should have lost to this season (didn't see the wolves match) and they deserved a point at home to city. given how shite the rest of the league is i think they are very good, although i am only basing this on 2 games.