Who Has Been The Greater Manc Defender: Vidic or Ferdinand?

The College Dropout

Guest Howaythetoon

Carvalho was better than both if we are talking about underrated centre-backs. Vidic is a classier John Terry, Ferdinand is/was the better centre-back for Man Utd.

I was thinking about this last week when all the journos on twitter were posting their all time FergieXI, the majority I saw had a Vidic Stam partnership. Personally I think Rio's better.

Guest Howaythetoon

Vidic is your steriotypical brick shithouse defender. He gets f***ing raped outside the 18 yard box.

Bit like Terry. For me the best defenders in our league have been the better technical ball playing ones such as Carvalho, Woodgate, King, Colo, Ferdinand etc. Al comfortably better than your John Terry's and Jamie Charagher's who throw themselves at everything and everyone. Great for when you're under the cosh and dealing with crosses and big fuck off centre-forwards but a bit of guile, pace, movement and trickery and they often look shit. Terry is a classic example of that especially at international level.

By the way, Newcastle in Colo, Woodgate and Albert have probably had the classiest centre-backs in the League.

In his prime you wouldn't have a player torment Ferdinand the way Torres would Vidic. Just wouldn't happen.

For a good 5 years, Ferdinand was an integral part of what was a very solid English defence. Whether with Campbell or Terry.

In general, I see more plaudits for the Carragher/Terry type defenders than Colo/Ferdinand more athletic and ball playing type and I reckon this has an affect on the type of player we produce in England. We have international central midfielders who are not as comfortable on the ball as Carvalho, Luiz, Lucio, King, Ferdinand. Little was made of the fact that Coloccini has a better first touch, comfort on the ball, intelligence of space than Stoke's midfield pairing.

It's well documented that are midfielders and attackers lack the technique of their continental counterparts but it's also true and important in defence/gk's too.

Hard to say actually. At the moment, Vidic is definitely better than Ferdinand. Injuries (and thus loss of form) seemed to have knacked Rio's chances of being first choice really. Shame.

But for the majority of Rio's Man U career, he has been solid so his contribution to Man U can't be forgotten.

Vidic has been the better of the two the past 2-3 years as Ferdinand's career has taken a dive because of his injuries. But at their respective peaks, Ferdinand was much better. He had much more to this game, I don't think I could name a "type" of striker that could torment him in the way that certain mobile strikers are always going to torment Vidic.

Because I've got quite a bit of footage of games involving McGrath, as growing up he was one of my heroes.

There's quite a bit of footage that makes Jamie Carragher look great though.

Believe me ,Ron, McGrath was the finest central defender I've seen. Pace to burn, great in the air and read the game outstandingly too. Hansen and Lawrenson were also outstanding but lacked McGrath's physical presence.

Because I've got quite a bit of footage of games involving McGrath, as growing up he was one of my heroes.

Like full matches aye?

Believe me ,Ron, McGrath was the finest central defender I've seen. Pace to burn, great in the air and read the game outstandingly too. Hansen and Lawrenson were also outstanding but lacked McGrath's physical presence.

Yeah, my dad says exactly the same. No reason to doubt him or you.

I love how the thread title specifically states the subject of the thread, yet people still make the effort to click on it and then say "who cares". :lol:

Ferdinand, for me, was the better of the two at their respective peaks.