Funerals

Chrissy Bee

I'm arranging a funeral for my Grandad who died this week (peacefully with his family though we didn't manage to get him home).

Now, he was a fully paid up reader of the Daily Mail but only left one instruction for his funeral - no priests or vicars as he had no belief in any god. So I was wondering if anyone's ever been to or organised a Humanist funeral, there's some information on the website but I'd like to set my mind at ease that they're good and everything will be nice. They live in the West Midlands so I don't need any specific local advice.

I can't see any other alternative really. It's only going to be very small (literally immediate family only, they've outlived their friends) but I'd like something good and positive for my mum and gran.

Ta.

I'm arranging a funeral for my Grandad who died this week (peacefully with his family though we didn't manage to get him home).

Now, he was a fully paid up reader of the Daily Mail but only left one instruction for his funeral - no priests or vicars as he had no belief in any god. So I was wondering if anyone's ever been to or organised a Humanist funeral, there's some information on the website but I'd like to set my mind at ease that they're good and everything will be nice. They live in the West Midlands so I don't need any specific local advice.

I can't see any other alternative really. It's only going to be very small (literally immediate family only, they've outlived their friends) but I'd like something good and positive for my mum and gran.

Ta.

Sorry for your loss.

If you decide against the Humanist route, it is quite normal just to have a non religious service at the Crematorium or Grave side with a close friend or family member saying a few words about his life etc.

the service will be very similar, just without the readings or prayers. get in touch with the british humanist organisation and i'm sure they'll put you in touch with someone in your area, then it's a bit like a religious one, someone you don't know and who didn't know the deceased will come out and talk about the person, try to get an idea of their life and personality and will put it into a nice eulogy.

Guest Roger Kint

My Dad went to a Humanist funeral for one of his friends a few years back and said it was the most beautiful funeral service he'd been to.

Have to agree with Jill & NEEJ, we did the same for my Aunt last year

Guest elbee909

My nan had a humanist funeral, was all as respectful and dignified as anyone would want it to be without the bearded-man-living-in-the-sky bunk.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Sorry for your loss.

Only been to one Humanist Funeral (Nana's last year), however the person who did it (guy from Whitley Bay) was sound. Talk about the person's life, achievements and their family. I think there was 1 religious saying/poem mentioned, but I think that might have been something to do with Whitley Bay crematorium.