E-Petition - Renaming Stadium?

macphisto

Just been reading about the new stadium name and was wondering what people thought about doing an e-petition? Obviously can't stop Ashley doing what he wants but it would be a way to publicly demonstrate against Ashley and would generate a lot of negative publicity towards Ashley. There is the argument that no publicity is bad publicity but in the case it would be way to demonstrate our feelings towards Ashley on a national platform. It would also be worth seeing it debated in Parliament.

Anyone got any ideas about what the question should be? If people are in support of it then maybe we could have a few suggestions about what the petition should say and put that to the vote on here?

What are people's views?

Here's a link to the site: https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/new

Fair enough but I don't really understand where people are coming from as it's better than doing nothing. If as a fan base we are not willing to even do this then we deserve everything Ashley throws at us.

100,000 people signing a petition that could be potentially discussed in Parliament along the lines of "Does the House of Commons agree that the renaming of St James' Park is an act of cultural and sporting vandalism towards an iconic North East institution?" (very draft wording) could only be a good thing in my opinion.

Fair enough but I don't really understand where people are coming from as it's better than doing nothing. If as a fan base we are not willing to even do this then we deserve everything Ashley throws at us.

100,000 people signing a petition that could be potentially discussed in Parliament along the lines of "Does the House of Commons agree that the renaming of St James' Park is an act of cultural and sporting vandalism towards an iconic North East institution?" (very draft wording) could only be a good thing in my opinion.

The more bad publicity that surrounds the name change makes it less likely that we'll sell the rights.

Only thing that works would be for people to not attend games.

Im not attending matches, so I feel dumb for suggesting it, but I would gladly miss three-four matches if it meant they would change the name back.

Screw the "players doesn´t deserve it" and similar arguements. They will understand why.

I think that's the most frustrating thing about these changes for me Conjo, I would love to just boycott the games or even to just stop caring about football in general, but I know I won't be able to.

This is basically why football can't be treated just like a business, it's the biggest monopoly going.

Only thing that works would be for people to not attend games.

Im not attending matches, so I feel dumb for suggesting it, but I would gladly miss three-four matches if it meant they would change the name back.

Screw the "players doesn´t deserve it" and similar arguements. They will understand why.

I would definitely go to St James' and stand outside rather than go in.

I'd happily sign an e-petition, regardless of how far it got us.

Sick of the idea that we're powerless as normal, every day, hard-working human beings.

We're not powerless, we're just shit at getting our act together.

Sick of the idea that we're powerless as normal, every day, hard-working human beings.

We're not powerless, we're just shit at getting our act together.

And we all don't hold the same views to the same extent.

We're not powerless, we're just s*** at getting our act together.

And we all don't hold the same views to the same extent.

Essentially we are though, it wont be long before anti-Ashley songs aren't allowed to be sang for fear of being chucked out and losing your ticket.

You can't protest effectively because the only way people actually sit up and listen is if you do something of a criminal nature.

We can't do anything for fear of generating a negative atmosphere and the team slipping down the division.

Our fans, based on this forum need to seriously question about what they love about the game and Newcastle United. Because I'm 99% certain it's not purely and solely about winning games and being a good side.

Just thinking aloud, try to set a precedent along the lines of a listed building. You couldn't change the name of an historic building, (or maybe you can if you're the owner?)

The ground itself, the location, is St James' Park. Regardless of it being a relatively new stadium, there has been a St James' on the spot for hundred years. Could that not count for something?

Guest guinness_fiend

The more bad publicity that surrounds the name change makes it less likely that we'll sell the rights.

No.  Because they're not advertising to the fans - it's just a case of "get name on telly, sell goods to proles who recognise it."  They do not and will not care.

Guest guinness_fiend

Just thinking aloud, try to set a precedent along the lines of a listed building. You couldn't change the name of an historic building, (or maybe you can if you're the owner?)

The ground itself, the location, is St James' Park. Regardless of it being a relatively new stadium, there has been a St James' on the spot for hundred years. Could that not count for something?

They are not changing the name per se, they are rebranding the stadium.  If it were a freehold property, the name on the deed would not change, only the way in which people refer to it.  It is an advertising fallacy/commodity.