Wireless dropout on iMac but not Windows

Super Duper Branko Strupar

Exactly what it says on the tin. GF's iMac sits upstairs and can struggle to get a good signal, this is not mirrored on my Laptop, admittedly in the living room, next to the router but I've never had a problem upstairs either.

It's not like its a big house, it can't be distance but the signal can be poor or nothing and I have no idea why. I have no knowledge of Macs.

Any ideas?

It does have thick walls aye, and it seems like if I close the glass living rm door the signal is poorer, but it has no effect on my laptop. The distance is literally 18ft or something, and the floors aren't thick. If it can't pick up a wireless signal through that it's ridiculous. I'm not taking it to an apple store either, far too much effort and it's not mine.

Surely there are some tests I can do or alterations I can make?

There is really very little you can do beyond making sure your iMac is up to date, ie you've not missed any useful firmware s***. Well, you can Ethernet up. Or home plugs or some s***.

Aye I'm thinking of a long as f*** ethernet cable. Is this a kind of common problem? There seems to be a lot about it on forums etc and people saying the same as old stifmeister there. Take it to apple. Something to do with the wireless adapter.

I'll see if there's any updates need installing etc. Like I said it's not mine and I don't go anywhere near macs as a rule so I have absolutely no idea. Canny unacceptable to be fair, it's only a year and a half old or something.

I did look at the router log the other day and there were a number of errors in there. I didn't have a clue what they were or what they meant. Can't remember them off the top of my head, mostly the same error. I checked the ingoing and outgoing speeds that aren't meant to be above a certain number and they seemed ok.

Meh, I'll get on kenable.

Cheers