Problems with weight training.

womblemaster

Last winter i was bored and decided to do a bit of weight training.  Back in 92 a friend sold me some gear (bench and weights)cheap and they have been in my garden shed since then.

I try and do an hour every 3 days. MOstly trying to work on biceps and pecs.  However my problem is i am skinny, and always have been. AM 6ft3 and weigh 12 stone.  I have a small beer belly from drinking real ale. but otherwise no fat at all.

AM finding it hard to put any vol of muscle on.  I dont have a huge budget so dont wanna blow a load on fancy shakes and crap for ` bulking up`.

Anyone advise about training on the cheap? AM a bit unclear about how much work out i should do in one session. There is conflicting advice on youtube.

AM playing it safe as i once damaged a muscle in my ncek in 93 and had to get physio for that.  SO far ive had no damage from the weights in last 12 months, so i must be doing something right.

I dont fancy going down a gym, as i think weight lifters are all egotistica posers, but am enjoying doing it at home, and just wanna see a bit more results.

tHe reason i was doingit every 3 dyas was i read somewhere thats how long it takes the body to create the new muscle.  MInd that was from a book i had, so i dunno if theory is up to date. The author suggested that stressing the muscle between those tims was wasted effort.  Can you recommend any good websites on the theory of bodybuilding?  ove already come across alot of body building myths on youtube....ie people have differing opinions on how to do it.

`Loads of meat, milk and cheese.`  maybe its too hard to work out, but how much is appropriate for the amount of excercise done? I have finite budget so i need to balance food expenditure vs amount i need to eat to make muscle.

legumes are cheap protein but they are too gassy (

The time it takes for the fibres to heal (they literally tear away from each other) will decrease the more conditioned they are. You are going to have to overload your muscles to get a decent gain in a shorter space of time. Ice will help the healing. Protein also.

This is all theoretical, I only know the science, nothing in practice. As much as the time specific to you, or the amount of food - You'll discover that for yourself I imagine. Turkey is cheap and full of protein.

There is also a huge difference between body building and strength training.  Unless you want to be a greasy poser I can't imagine you wanting to train like a body builder.

• 3 weeks later...

a huge difference between body building and strength training.

AM not doing it so i can lift weight in london 2012.  SO i guess that means am wanting to pose.....or at least look less skinny, have always been very thin.

Can you expand on the differnces?

If your goal is getting big then you really want to do short reps, five sets of five for example.

Try to zone in on a weight for which you physically cannot do any more than five reps (while being mindful of form) and start there and work towards going bigger.

Do be mindful of safety though. You need to be a bit conservative when you're doing stuff like benching and deadlifts because if you go too far you could very easily injure yourself. If you don't feel comfortable with the amount of weight you need to lift for a five-rep set, try going to eight. That's what I'm doing at the moment.

Diet-wise, obviously protein helps. If you don't like protein supplements and can't be bothered/can't stomach chicken breast for every meal, just try to eat a lot of lean cuts of meat and a disgusting amount of eggs (like... five) while cutting down on carbs to stay below your calorie threshold.

Eating enough protein to bulk up is really, really difficult without supplements. If you're not doing it intentionally, you're probably not eating enough.

I was looking at the prot supplements in asda, and its theres enough choice to scare a beginner. Most of the whey stuff i in huge cartons.....they need some small sample versions for folk to try. DOnt fancy spending 29/34 quid on something thats disgusting to taste.

HAve you seen the ones asda sells? (near health items)  are they value for money?

I was looking at the prot supplements in asda, and its theres enough choice to scare a beginner. Most of the whey stuff i in huge cartons.....they need some small sample versions for folk to try. DOnt fancy spending 29/34 quid on something thats disgusting to taste.

HAve you seen the ones asda sells? (near health items)  are they value for money?

Go to www.myprotein.co.uk and get a few of their samples - that's probably your best bet for value as well. There's plenty of tips on there about what you could be taking to help achieve your goals.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...