Gaming Headsets

AyeDubbleYoo

I got some x42s, canny but prefer the sound coming out of my home cinema. Only paid £20 so no real loss.

The wireless 5.1s which are £90 in tesco are great apparently, lot of money for some console headphones though.

In my experience, most folk who have headsets equipped simply use it to throw insults or play shite music down them very loudly.

Waste of time, unless your playing with mates.

In my experience, most folk who have headsets equipped simply use it to throw insults or play shite music down them very loudly.

Waste of time, unless your playing with mates.

I just want it for good quality sound, not really for talking. The sound on my TV isn't great, particularly for games like BF3.

Would personally not recommend wireless. Lots of noise and interruptions if you have a lot of wireless networks around. If you want wireless, check what frequency they use at least.

If mic is not priority, don't go for the labeled "gaming" headsets.

Piss poor sound, lots of gimmick, high price.

Go for a Sennheiser HD555, AKG 701 etc.

What platform do you use? And how much are you willing to spend?

Also, you have to separate what you want.

Lots of fun, or clinical crystal clear directional sounds.

Fun is kind of good bass,high sound. typical closed cans.

Directional is often open cans, great soundstage, gives you an edge as you can pinpoint your enemies. But these kind of have less bass, and more focus on the mid/high sounds.

Personally i use a Ear Force DSS 5.1/7.1 channel Dolby surround sound processor + UE Triple FI 10 IEM. Works very well.

But in the long run i wants the AKG 701 for its massive soundstage.

Thanks High Five, interesting.

Basically just want good quality immersive sound, locating people would be nice but I'm not going to pay 100s of pounds for it.

I'm n XBox 360, connecting to TV with HDMI. Not sure about budget, as little over £50 as possible really, but everything seems mad pricey.

Might just try some of my ordinary headphones for a while and see how I do.

No problem Ian.

If i was you i would find the "old" Sennheiser HD555. Some web shops still have it in stock.

Pretty much a gamers choice when it comes to headsets.

I am not familiar with Xbox, but is there a optical out on it?

If you don`t have a home cinema system connected to you TV, with a amp to connect the headset, i recommend you to get a Dolby surround sound processor for your headset.

The problem getting good sound with headsets and consoles is the limited connections.

To get good "surround" sound (Surround in "" as its digitally processed and through only two speakers in the headset, so no true surround) you need a dolby surround processor to connect to the digital output on the console,  Earforce DSS or Astro mixamp.

It cost money, but to get the best out of the experience you need one.

You can use it on both xbox/ps3/gaming computer etc.

Don`t recommend spending money on a good headset and plug it in the TV output. You wont be satisfied no matter what imo. Poor sound and often a lot of background noise.

Great tips, cheers. I didn't know there was such a thing as a surround sound processor, so that's good!

The 360 does have an optical output I think, but it's part of one of the standard TV cables so I don't think it would work when I'm using HDMI. Not 100% sure though.

Great tips, cheers. I didn't know there was such a thing as a surround sound processor, so that's good!

The 360 does have an optical output I think, but it's part of one of the standard TV cables so I don't think it would work when I'm using HDMI. Not 100% sure though.

Ok, it will work then, just set up the xbox to use digital sound output. Then picture will go through the HDMI, sound through the optical cable.

Just let me know if you need any help, or have questions regarding certain headphones.

As i was through one hell of a process at the end of the summer, wanted some headphones for my ps3 :lol:

Its easy to get lost and buy some +£100 gaming headsets who looks good, but really don't justify the price.

I saved a lot by checking up, ended up with just the Earforce DSS, used my old headset.

Reasonable audiophile headset + surround processor > Expensive gaming headset