Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

Guest Haris Vuckic

52'000 people in silence is so strange, almost loud because there's so many people there even though they aren't making noise there's a pressure, it's weird.

I remember when we did it for a Royal - Princess Margaret? There was silence all the way through and then some Southampton fan just completely flipped out.

52'000 people in silence is so strange, almost loud because there's so many people there even though they aren't making noise there's a pressure, it's weird.

I remember when we did it for a Royal - Princess Margaret? There was silence all the way through and then some Southampton fan just completely flipped out.

wasn't princess margaret, the entire place was giggling.

Guest Haris Vuckic

It was definitely vs Southampton anyway. It was someone I didn't really know or care about, definitely a royal. Clearly an away fan got tired of it anyway.

I agree with Dave, I think there's something really special about such a huge amount of people standing silent particularly in remembrance of someone who meant something to everyone there. A minute's applause, it's what you'd give Gary Speed if he appeared as half time guest, it's not very special.

The mackems are really the ones who pioneered the applause, after the vermin who follow them away from home booed through the silence for John Charles at Cardiff.

It was definitely vs Southampton anyway. It was someone I didn't really know or care about, definitely a royal. Clearly an away fan got tired of it anyway.

I think he shouted "Ding dong the witch is dead" and everyone fell about laughing.

Royals really shouldn't get a minutes silence at the match. It's difficult for your average football fan to sympathise with someone who lived their entire life in the lap of luxury.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think he shouted "Ding dong the witch is dead" and everyone fell about laughing.

Royals really shouldn't get a minutes silence at the match. It's difficult for your average football fan to sympathise with someone who lived their entire life in the lap of luxury.

Yeh.

Thatcher will be the strangest, I'd be surprised if it's not a full in disco as football matches.

She'll get a state funeral too  :banghead:

Just listened to it. Some lovely stories on their - clearly a man held in the highest regard both within and outside of football. Have liked Savage more and more in the last couple of years, not nice to see/hear him so clearly devastated - on a couple of occasions he refers to Gary in the present tense and then has to correct himself. Fletcher goes as well in that last minute and only just manages to get his last sentence out. Really moving stuff - credit to them both for being so defiant in paying tribute to the man despite the immediacy of the event.

Personally would prefer a minutes silence on saturday. For me it is more poignant, however, I accept that both are used to pay respects and will gladly participate in which ever one the club decides to opt for. No reason why we cannot have both, even if it is an 'official' minutes silence, followed by a period of crowd led applause and a rendition of 'one gary speed' etc.

Yeh.

Thatcher will be the strangest, I'd be surprised if it's not a full in disco as football matches.

She'll get a state funeral too  :banghead:

The North is going to gan up when she pops off. Party time.

Guest WashyGeordie

Still can't believe it like. Guess you don't know whats really going on behind closed doors.

Haven't said it on here yet, so RIP, Gary. :( Loved him when he was here.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/28/article-2067135-0EF85E8600000578-275_634x395.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/28/article-2066812-0EF858BD00000578-589_634x368.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/28/article-2066812-0EF88FD300000578-94_306x423.jpg  http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/28/article-2066812-0EF8ACD600000578-841_306x423.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/28/article-2066812-0EF8A0FB00000578-149_634x394.jpg

Shirts etc being theived from Elland Rd. c***s.

Doesn't this rumour do the rounds every time someone dies? I remember it being told about or tribute to SBR.

Maybe. I don't know. It's not a rumour like, it's fact.

i remember that with Sir Bobby. i'm pretty sure someone got done for it in the end and rightly too.

Shocking to wake up to Saturday morning, and for a moment I wasn't sure if it was still a part of my sleep-induced daze or reality. It's just that he was so young and you never expect former players (who played for your team do recently) to pass away so soon.

I haven't had a chance to read much about the issue, but any insight provided into why he may have done it?

I'll never forget the Solano-Speed combination at corners, where the former would whip'em in and Speed-o would rise above the rest and thump those in with his head.

Absolute legend.

Guest Haris Vuckic

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/28/article-2066812-0EF87FEB00000578-605_634x386.jpg

Don't look old enough to have seen Speed play but fair play to them!

The minute silence is normally followed by a minute of pure noise anyway, so lets just go with that.

I think with the minute silence, I will be in floods of tears whereas the applause does not affect me quite in the same way.

Guest Haris Vuckic

you need your eyes checked haris....or you are very polite.

Speed left in January 2004 - 8 years ago next month - take 8 years off them lasses and I don't reckon they'd be old enough to see him play.

Baffling thinking about my young cousins who's dad is the same age as Speed was - will never have seen him play.

you need your eyes checked haris....or you are very polite.

Speed left in January 2004 - 8 years ago next month - take 8 years off them lasses and I don't reckon they'd be old enough to see him play.

Baffling thinking about my young cousins who's dad is the same age as Speed was - will never have seen him play.

The one at the back is pushing 40, if not in it's early stages.