Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

At Arsenal, there was about 30 seconds of silence, 10 seconds of 'noise' (i.e. different parts of the ground trying to start 'One Gary Speed' at different times) then 20 seconds of applause.

At Arsenal, there was about 30 seconds of silence, 10 seconds of 'noise' (i.e. different parts of the ground trying to start 'One Gary Speed' at different times) then 20 seconds of applause.

It felt like people were genuinely confused about what they were supposed to be doing. There's been so much talk about whether clapping, or chanting or silence is the most appropriate, it's no wonder.

Guest Geordiesned

There's a cracking picture on nufc.co.uk of Speed squaring up to Kevin Phillips. I can't manage to get it on my phone but well worth a look at their montage.

2 days later and I still can't get my head round this and get upset everytime I think about it.

There's a cracking picture on nufc.co.uk of Speed squaring up to Kevin Phillips. I can't manage to get it on my phone but well worth a look at their montage.

2 days later and I still can't get my head round this and get upset everytime I think about it.

every time i load the forum and see this thread title i have that split second of disbelief and a sharp intake of breath. still seems just totally unreal. ultimately it's none of our business but you can't help but question why this happened.

Guest Geordiesned

I remember him scaring the shit out of the talentless little boy wonder at Villa, Hendrie.

There's a pic on the official site of him being separated from Mellberg by the ref with Shearer trying to get involved as well. Have a feeling that might have been in the aftermath of the same incident.

Guest Geordiesned

I've just seen on BBC website that they will be a minute's applause at every Premier League match this weekend. Have to say I completely disagree with that. Minute's silence much more fitting as many have already said.

Who was it he scored an absolute pearler against from about 35 yards out? Birmingham?

Horrible game that. One of the many away games in 03-04 in which we conceded late on because we were virtually down to 10 men with Shearer on the field.

I've just seen on BBC website that they will be a minute's applause at every Premier League match this weekend. Have to say I completely disagree with that. Minute's silence much more fitting as many have already said.

We only have a minutes applause because people can't be trusted to keep quiet. Silence is much better.

If that's true about the minute's applause around the country then I don't buy into the idea that it's because "a few idiots would ruin it" as most minutes of silence are well respected in my experience.  I think the 'spontaneous' applause at Swansea has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons somewhat - some people will have been moved by that and agreed with it, so as stupid as it sounds then I think they may have done this to avoid confusion and ensure that everyone's on the same page.

I do agree though that a minute's silence is far more appropriate in these circumstances, it's a tragic waste of life and a moment to reflect rather than an opportunity to applaud a long life well-lived that came to its natural end.  I'm still very upset over this by the way and it's not getting any easier, my heart's with his family and friends because God knows how they must be feeling.  Such a strange and sad few days.