Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

22 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

I don't watch much foreign football these days, does VAR generally get used without a hitch in other countries? It definitely seems more seamless (with accurate outcomes) at major international tournaments. 

That's what people keep saying though. It's not 'VAR' at fault, but the people controlling it during the match. They are the ones making the call to have something checked.

Supposed to be for clear and obvious ref errors only, and not to re-referee matches, but what yesterday did (certainly in ours and West Ham's games) was exactly that. The pressure was on the referee to change his decision.

It's a difficult one. I heard some pundits calling for the VAR officials to be ex-pros who know the game better, but surely that can lead to potential bias also?

VAR official being refs, they are all supposed to be impartial, but seemingly making the same mistakes they'd make on the pitch., depsite the beneift of multiple caemra angles.

I highly recommend people go and watch some non-league footy some time. It's good to detox from the PL for a number of reasons - but the lack of any TV cameras or VAR is absolutely delightful.

A goal that is offside goes in, fans and players who had a clear view have a whinge and a shout at the liner, everybody else is non the wiser. The game moves on seconds later. It makes the idea of sitting around looking at a slowmo replay from multiple angles to find any stupid fucking reason to disallow a goal seem as nonsensical and detached from the sport's soul as it is. 

Was thinking about this last night watching MOTD and came to the conclusion that there needs to be some kind of points system in place to hold the poor officiating accountable.

For example:

- Wrongful decision on goals = 3 points
- Wrongful decision on set-pieces = 2 points
- Wrongful decision on bookings = 1 point

If a referee accumulates 5 points in a game then they are automatically relegated to the lower leagues for the following week. If it happens a 2nd time they face a fine, and suspension for a 3rd time. Set up an independent panel consisting of ex-players, managers and referees to review each game.

Don't get me wrong it's not perfect but I think it would at least go some way towards holding the poor standard of refereeing to account. If a manager's job is constantly at risk based on results then the officials making poor decisions that could cost that manager his job need to be held accountable. To me it's wrong that Jesse Marsch will be suspended for Leeds' next game, simply because he showed his frustration at the officials in that game making some ridiculous decisions which have probably cost them the game. Moyes will probably be fined for his post-match interview, Rice will probably be fined for his tweet, and yet the referees will continue on making the same mistakes at the highest level next week. Clearly Howe in his post-match interview has thought "why bother?".

Its a catch 22 because its both the system and human error to blame.

WIthout the system we don't involve the second (or more) layer of human error. It switches the element of genuine mistake and replaced it with proven incompetence (or worse).

Without improving the quality of refs which would have happened by now if it was ever going to, the system cannot be made to work and will never be a goal line technology level  advancement.

Edited by Wolfcastle

VAR makes no decisions it is information only. Whether the perception of that information is correct is the problem. Its been alluded that the VAR only showed Willock hitting the keeper. On that clip anyone one might question the validity of the goal. However when the passage of play is showed in its entirety only one conclusion should/could be made. If referees were miked up or had to answer after a match, I bet the quality of decisions would improve!

Edited by Nepharite

8 minutes ago, Nepharite said:

VAR makes no decisions it is information only. Whether the perception of that information is correct is the problem. Its been alluded that the VAR only showed Willock hitting the keeper. On that clip anyone one might question the validity of the goal. However when the passage of play is showed in its entirety only one conclusion should/could be made. If referees were miked up or had to answer after a match, I bet the quality of decisions would improve!

That is absolutely fucking crazy if he was not shown what lead to the situation and truly puts gasoline on the flames regarding corruption.

22 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Its a catch 22 because its both the system and human error to blame.

WIthout the system we don't involve the second (or more) layer of human error. It switches the element of genuine mistake and replaced it with proven incompetence (or worse).

Without improving the quality of refs which would have happened by now if it was ever going to, the system cannot be made to work and will never be a goal line technology level  advancement.

It's a manufactured catch 22 when they blame human error for a system designed to overcome human error. I mean somebody has made a lot of money out of this, it would be foolish to eliminate the demand.

They're lowering the quality of refs, whilst protecting them to some extent by relieving them of responsibility for the real game changing moments.

Edited by Happinesstan

On 03/12/2011 at 09:14, Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE said:

I'd like to inaugurate Mike Dean as the first winner of the Dodgy c*** Ref of the Week award.  The yellow to David Luiz shows one (or more) of three things:

1) He is biased in favor of Chelsea

2) He doesn't know the last man rule

3) He doesn't have the balls to make the right call

Any of the three should really be grounds for him to have to find a new line of work. 

Shocking for sure, but only insofar as this type of s*** happens all the time in English footy, generally in favor of the clubs that spend the £££.

I get the idea but I don't think that increases the quality of officiating. It will just drive people away from wanting to be an official.

It is a ridiculously pressured position where human error is in the greatest focus and scrutiny as it is. VAR was supposed to help. As others have says, I think it's more the rule and guidelines that are the major problems and need rethinking.  

It is tough all around when there is so much money and public pressure involved with every decision. They need a rethink though, even if it seems they are always chopping and changing the rules. That is part of the problem too.

Would also like to know who made the decision not to give the referee the best angle of the push on Willock? They're also culpable. I mean, it's obvious from all angles but especially the reverse angle, which was withheld from the ref. You don't just 'forget' to give the ref the best camera view.

1 minute ago, ohmelads said:

Would also like to know who made the decision not to give the referee the best angle of the push on Willock? They're also culpable. I mean, it's obvious from all angles but especially the reverse angle, which was withheld from the ref. You don't just 'forget' to give the ref the best camera view.

They weren't checking for a push on Willock. That's the best I can come up with.

36 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It’s not VAR that’s the fault, it’s the referee’s.

Ive already addressed this though. To me the very existence of VAR is ruining the spontaneity and human element of the game.

It’s a sport played by humans involving human error and raw emotion. That’s what makes it so special.

Freeze frames, drawing arbitrary lines, having to wait to celebrate, trying to find a reason to chalk off a goal. It’s all the complete antithesis of why we play the game.

It’s poisoning the whole thing. 

2 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

That’s the odd thing for me. I would love to know the full reasoning. 

in rugby you even have the video ref say things like “let’s just check one last angle to make sure”

the angle from behind is the one that should remove any doubt…but even when you watch it in real time you can see Willock is push. 

3 minutes ago, LV said:

Ive already addressed this though. To me the very existence of VAR is ruining the spontaneity and human element of the game.

It’s a sport played by humans involving human error and raw emotion. That’s what makes it so special.

Freeze frames, drawing arbitrary lines, having to wait to celebrate, trying to find a reason to chalk off a goal. It’s all the complete antithesis of why we play the game.

It’s poisoning the whole thing. 

Ten years of this sort of "evolution" and we'd be playing like American football, like - stoppages for every single foul, mic-ed up referees announcing the fouls and penalties, 11 subs per match, four quarters per match with ten-minute breaks. A match will take three hours to complete. Any more of what we experienced this weekend and fans will be up in arms, the idea of VAR being "fair" and "only to validate referee decisions" has totally been chucked out the window.

56 minutes ago, Adam said:

The offside rule needs to change, if you have any part of your body level with the defender then you're onside. 

Absolutely spot on with your comment - been saying it for years - if you cannot prove clear separation it’s a goal - literally quickens up the decision making process

If any part of your body is in line with the last defender it’s a goal - it’s such an easy way to reach a decision. 

None of this bollocks of drawing a line that might not even be accurate 

42 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

VAR works really well in most leagues, its the corrupt officials that are the problem.

Absolutely.

The refs in the PL somehow just crave the limelight. Fucking Lee Mason was hundreds of miles away from SJP yesterday, yet Shearer has mentioned him in MOTD and now he has the attention he craves. Its the same with the other shitty ones too. Mike Dean was the number one attention seeking cunt previously.

It's like these refs are from another planet and using a different rule book to the rest of the football world. And with that, it all becomes about them. Yes VAR works well, we have benefitted it in some games this season. But like yesterday, it wasnt the VAR system, it was the cunts handling it. 

Edited by nufcjb