Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Guest Gino14

There's a consistent stat in these games where no matter how many fouls Sunderland commit, they always have a lower booking per foul ratio.  I don't know how they manage it.  I know some of our players are daft and dive it, but today we had 60% possession and yet still committed double the fouls Sunderland did.  Are we such a dirty team or do we just not get given the free kicks?  I'd also suggest that we don't go on cynically enough now compared to most.  It's not something I like to see, but there seemed to be a thing in place at Sunderland where almost every foul was accompanied by a scream from one of their players.  It seemed like a deliberate ploy to get free kicks.  We don't seem to have a lot of that, or at least we don't do it well.  It seems too easy for refs to ignore us somehow.  Look at the low amount of penalties we've had in the last few seasons and some have been so ridiculous that they defy belief.

Martin Atkinson though I find generally shocking.  He's one of those refs where I know his name so well because of all his highlighted mistakes.  I never expect much when we get a ref like that.  It just seems like we don't have the refs onside with us at all, whether it's just some psychological shift causing that, I don't know, but we don't seem to get a great lot from any of them.

Our players don't do gamesmanship. They don't tend to dive or shriek when tackled like a lot of the opposition do. Our players don't complain about decisions either. Having said that, I don't think we get decisions when we should so cheating to get a decision is probably even less likely to be given. Whoever we play up front never gets a decision no matter what the opposition do to them. Mitro rarely wins a foul.

Guest Gino14

Huth was able to stand bear hugging Mitrovic and one time after a pretty bad foul on him, Huth somehow got a free kick for Leicester.  I just don't generally understand what's going on with the referee's.  I definitely don't feel like they are with us at all, but at the same time it's a general lack of quality that's a problem.  I watched the Manchester derby and there was some terrible officiating in that as well.

I don't like to see cynical rubbish in football, so really I expect the referees to be a bit more intelligent about it.  I don't feel like they really understand the game or know what a proper foul is.  A shoulder to shoulder at slow pace is not a foul, but they get so easily conned.  Some of them must have so little interest in Football beyond their pay-cheque that they never even watch games.  How else do they have so little understanding of the way Footballers cheat to get decisions?

I was watching the six nations and admittedly I don't watch much Rugby but the difference was so evident in the way the referees behave.  A French player complained and the ref basically said "Your arms were up, you know they were up, keep them down and stop fouling."  Football refs just seem to cower away from situations and don't really have a lot of bottle.  It's why they seem to unable to give decisions against big teams when they're playing smaller ones.

There's a consistent stat in these games where no matter how many fouls Sunderland commit, they always have a lower booking per foul ratio.  I don't know how they manage it.  I know some of our players are daft and dive it, but today we had 60% possession and yet still committed double the fouls Sunderland did.  Are we such a dirty team or do we just not get given the free kicks?

Was Cattermole not starting due to injury or something? His spastic labrador routine in the first few minutes usually set a nice baseline for their being carded and having fouls called. Impressed if Fat Sam recognized this and held him in reserve on purpose.

The referee was awful today, Sunderland were play acting all day, their keeper was the worst, diving on the top of every ball and staying there for a good minute.

On a slightly related topic, where I work a guy comes often, he's a referee in Scotland (in the league system, has referred Rangers games). He lives in Whitley Bay, he's English but has a Scottish parent. He used to work in England but there refereeing system is all about who you know. He left because he saw people who were not very good getting ahead of him purely because they are prepared to let games be favoured in a specific way. Apparently they are advised not to make too controversial decision but are supposed to lean the advantage a certain way, so 50/50's advtangae play etc all goes a way determined beforehand. Apparently there is one well known referee who has his own business outside of football and has quite a bit of money, he only got to his position because he was able to send a key person within the FA on a family holiday flying first class and staying in one of the best hotels.

For some reason, our reserves had Darren Deadman as ref a few weeks back.  He's never reffed in the Prem.  But he refs up to the Championship and gets fairly high level FA Cup games. 

I don't think anyone realised that he was a high level ref or anything.  They couldn't believe he was a Football League ref, after it was pointed out after the game.  Supposedly, he was terrible, really arrogant and wasn't any better or worse than your usual amateur ref. 

If this is the sort of level that pro refs perform to.  Then it's no wonder to see so many incompetent prem officials. 

I think Michael Oliver is the best.  But most of them seem to be really bad.  Or they are half decent, but are just so insufferably arrogant, like Mike Dean and Clattenburg.   

Guest neesy111

For some reason, our reserves had Darren Deadman as ref a few weeks back.  He's never reffed in the Prem.  But he refs up to the Championship and gets fairly high level FA Cup games. 

I don't think anyone realised that he was a high level ref or anything.  They couldn't believe he was a Football League ref, after it was pointed out after the game.  Supposedly, he was terrible, really arrogant and wasn't any better or worse than your usual amateur ref. 

If this is the sort of level that pro refs perform to.  Then it's no wonder to see so many incompetent prem officials. 

I think Michael Oliver is the best.  But most of them seem to be really bad.  Or they are half decent, but are just so insufferably arrogant, like Mike Dean and Clattenburg.   

Oliver bottled it big time in the Manchester derby yesterday.

How the frig was there only 4 minutes added time yesterday? I thought the general rule was 30secs for each sub and goal plus anything else that needs adding on? So there should have been 3 and a half minutes for the subs and goal alone, before taking into account Mitrovic's head injury, whoever it was who went down with cramp when Atkinson kindly decided to stop the game when we were on the break, plus the incessant time wasting from the mackems from the 5th minute onwards?

Clattenburg is arrogant but I'd say he's the best referee in the country

Clattenberg and Oliver are the best refs by a mile but they're both Mags so we will only ever get the shite ones for our games.

How the frig was there only 4 minutes added time yesterday? I thought the general rule was 30secs for each sub and goal plus anything else that needs adding on? So there should have been 3 and a half minutes for the subs and goal alone, before taking into account Mitrovic's head injury, whoever it was who went down with cramp when Atkinson kindly decided to stop the game when we were on the break, plus the incessant time wasting from the mackems from the 5th minute onwards?

Tell you why; because Atkinson is a massive cunt.

I posted something along these lines in the football pet hates thread.  It's like this most weeks.  Sometimes, a ref takes about 2 minutes to lecture a player and card them.  Plus subs, goals, injuries, time wasting.  Added time. 3 minutes.  :lol:

I posted something along these lines in the football pet hates thread.  It's like this most weeks.  Sometimes, a ref takes about 2 minutes to lecture a player and card them.  Plus subs, goals, injuries, time wasting.  Added time. 3 minutes.  :lol:

I've noticed in a few of our games that if we're chasing a goal it's 3-4 minutes max. If we're a goal ahead, look forward to a nice juicy 7 minutes of added time.

Said I thought it was going to be six minutes added on just before the board went up. Staggering how it wasn't more than four yesterday :lol:

Atkinson was fucking appalling yesterday. Remember one challenge Mitrovic where he did nothing more than out-muscle the Sunderland player (who was barely getting the ball anyway) and he blew his whistle. :lol: Absolutely rank refereeing.

Not that it's surprising, he's a shocking ref, and a terrible human being to boot.

Atkinson was fucking appalling yesterday. Remember one challenge Mitrovic where he did nothing more than out-muscle the Sunderland player (who was barely getting the ball anyway) and he blew his whistle. :lol: Absolutely rank refereeing.

Not that it's surprising, he's a shocking ref, and a terrible human being to boot.

A Sunderland player fouled Mitro (but it wasn't given) just before the foul was given against him. It all adds fuel to the fire of my theory that the refs don't like NUFC.

The thing I hate most about watching football these days is all the obvious "professional" cheating. And referees constantly letting it go is the main reason why it's getting worse and worse. Kicking the ball away for example would be so easy to fix. Touch a ball after the ref has blown and get a yellow card, it would be finished in a week. Borini just lumped it away yesterday after it was out of play and noone so much as blinked. The time-wasting Mannone did yesterday was another example of piss-weak refereeing. Give him the safe yellow because he's a goalie and the match is about to finish anyway. But then when he keeps fucking around you just help him time-waste for another minute instead of sending him to the showers.

It gets even worse in the derbies, and then the ref usually gets praise after its over for "standing up to the tough home crowd", or some such nonsense.

I did enjoy Mitrovic at the end there yesterday. He was 100% going to murder Atkinson before he remembered he was inside a stadium full of witnesses :)