The Referendum: how will EU vote? Should EU stay or should EU go?

Stu

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Swedish prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt has given his backing to David Cameron's position, saying it would be "unreasonable" for a non-eurozone country to sign the treaty that was presented last night.

"It seems a bit odd because the whole text is written to make eurozone members submit to certain restrictions and do certain things," he told Sweden's TT newswire. :"A non-eurozone country can't reasonably sign up to that.”

Mr Reinfeldt said he still had to discuss Sweden's participation in the inter-governmental treaty with the national parliament, but hinted that Sweden, like the UK, would stand outside.

“Sweden, which isn't a member of the euro, does not want to tie itself to rules which are completely tailored for the eurozone,” he said.

London Mayor Boris Johnson called for a referendum if the UK was asked to approve a new treaty.

Conservative Mr Johnson said the UK should oppose any change which created a "very dominant economic government" across Europe.

"If Britain was asked to sign up to such a thing within the 27 (all the members of the EU), it would be right to veto it and if we felt unable to veto it, I certainly think that it should be put to a referendum," he told BBC Radio 4's World at One.

The spectre of an EU referendum for the British public looms larger than ever, with the country at something of a cross-roads: economically, socially and morally. Political commentators and some of the more prescient hacks are calling a UK referendum before the Olympics next July.

How do you plan on voting?

Should we throw our lot in with the other 17 (almost 23) states in the Eurozone and have to fall under increased legislation, which will allow us to continue taking advantage of the freedom of trade, goods, services and workers?

Or should we step to one side, claim back some 'powers' and continue to forge ahead with a new outlook on global relations? Our 'special relationship' with the US, links with Australia and potentially the Middle East will become key in our ability to remain a leading and influential player on the global scene. Will we trade away the Falkland Islands to repair our links to Latin America? Can we survive the initial set-back of leaving the EU with our economy in such a fragile state?

How do you plan on voting (and why)?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Should we throw our lot in with the other 17 (almost 23) states in the Eurozone and have to fall under increased legislation, which will allow us to continue taking advantage of the freedom of trade, goods, services and workers?

Or should we step to one side, claim back some 'powers' and continue to forge ahead with a new outlook on global relations? Our 'special relationship' with the US, links with Australia and potentially the Middle East will become key in our ability to remain a leading and influential player on the global scene. Will we trade away the Falkland Islands to repair our links to Latin America? Can we survive the initial set-back of leaving the EU with our economy in such a fragile state?

If I had no opinion on the matter, and this was the first thing I had read, I would have to be forgiven if I felt afraid of the 2nd option due to how you've phrased it. Is this fact or your opinion?

Neither, they're possible alternatives. The idea of staying in the EU seemed pretty straightforward - you hand over a bit more power (increased legislation for all members) and in return have the benefits of trading within the club. Plus their support, movement of workers, etc.

Going outside the EU...seemed to be more of an open-book in terms of what we could do - we would be stepping out into this brave new world without the safety blanket of our European partners and there are plenty of scenarios that could play out. Fundamentally, our Government (whoever that is by the time we withdraw) will be solely responsible for all that happens in the UK, which would be interesting. That's why I threw in a couple of suggestions - feel free to add your own to the mix.

There is no reason whatsoever why we cant be outside of the Euro and still trade with Europe. Europeans are not going to stop buying British products simply because we are not part of the EU.

It seems France and Germany are now wanting to move towards the very integrated Federal Europe that was often talked of, but denied in the nineties.

Because of this I think we are being pushed into a corner of full compliance or exclusion.

It cant be under estimated the massive change that has taken place last night and anyone who thinks they can predict what will happen over the next 12 months is wrong.

The Euro may yet still collapse.....it will be a few days before the markets react.

The coalition may split forcing a general election.

Going to be an extremely interesting few months for those of us interested in politics.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

There is no reason whatsoever why we cant be outside of the Euro and still trade with Europe. Europeans are not going to stop buying British products simply because they don't buy them to begin with.

:yao:

I, for one, intend to work abroad at some point in the future, perhaps in France. So the UK still being in the EU would save me the hassle with work visas and all that. So I guess increased labour mobility (freedom of workers) is one benefit which I don't really want to lose.

The problem is, as a lot of posters have pointed out, we don't really know what will happen.

The bigger problem is, that neither do our leaders. So they default to the Euro-Sceptic position first.

The only problem that right-wingers seem to have is that the EC imposes rules and regulations that benefit and protect workers, as far as I can see.

Once again, what a woeful position the Criminal Coalition find itself.

There is no reason whatsoever why we cant be outside of the Euro and still trade with Europe. Europeans are not going to stop buying British products simply because they don't buy them to begin with.

Do you think if we left the EU all Newcastle pubs would stop selling Kronnenbourg  :lol:

What does the EU actually mean and what are the benefits to the UK.  The general public have no idea, only what they read in the press.

Personally i think the EU is dying a very slow painfull death and eventually will dissolve.

How will i vote, god knows. I need to do more reading and get a better understanding of how the beast rolls and what it's aims are

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Do you think if we left the EU all Newcastle pubs would stop selling Kronnenbourg  :lol:

What does the EU actually mean and what are the benefits to the UK.  The general public have no idea, only what they read in the press.

Personally i think the EU is dying a very slow painfull death and eventually will dissolve.

How will i vote, god knows. I need to do more reading and get a better understanding of how the beast rolls and what it's aims are

Which Countries in 'Europe' are currently the wealthiest? Are they part of the Eurozone?

Which Countries in 'Europe' are currently the wealthiest? Are they part of the Eurozone?

Pass, dunno.

At a guess i would say they are not in the EU

Eu- one problem after another for as long as I can remember. Needs to change , alternatively can we afford to go it alone. :undecided:

On the flip side can we afford to not go it alone ?

nope- we are up shit creek.

Pass, dunno.

At a guess i would say they are not in the EU

Norway, Switzerland, Luxembourg. One of these three is in the Eurozone.

Eu- one problem after another for as long as I can remember. Needs to change , alternatively can we afford to go it alone. :undecided:

On the flip side can we afford to not go it alone ?

nope- we are up s*** creek.

Any chance you could expand on that, as i'm totally clue less as to why it would be so bad to drop out.

I, for one, intend to work abroad at some point in the future, perhaps in France. So the UK still being in the EU would save me the hassle with work visas and all that. So I guess increased labour mobility (freedom of workers) is one benefit which I don't really want to lose.

I can't possibly imagine why you wouldn't want to go through the glorious process of applying for visas in a new country. It's a delightful, cheap, transparent and quick process that I recommend everyone partakes in. The best part is, I get to do it again in 2 short years!