Kindle

Thomson Mouse

Thinking of asking for one from Santa.

Any comments, anyone got one?

Checked out the ebook prices and they seem very cheap, do books come out at the same time as there paper versions?

Any advice appreciated. Ta

Get one they are mint!  I've got the 3g/wireless one, but just bought the new wireless only one for my dad and that seems canny as well.

Book prices are my big bone of contention.  Not all books come out on ebook format and a lot of the ones that do are equivalent, or in some cases more expensive than their paper cousins.  The book publishers blame the fact that VAT is applied to ebooks, but I think it is just them being greedy fuckers to be honest.  A case in point was "Full Dark, no Stars" by Stephen King.  Hardback was £8, ebook was £9.99???  I just didn't buy it, so they shot themselves right in the foot there.

There are LOADS of free books you can get (legally) from Amazon and places like the Gutenberg project.  Kindle only supports the MOBI format, which is Amazons proprietry one, but you can get converters (for example Calibre) that will convert e books into the correct format.  I've read loads of books by authors I never would have considered and enjoyed a lot of them (some admittedly have been utter shite, but they were free so who cares!)

Thanks for the info.

The price thing would work to my advantage as I'm in oz and the prices there are a complete rip off (not just with books!). I've got to hope that amazon or the book depository get them in and then wait a bit for them to arrive.

Roughly what percent of new books are available and is the converting a pain or relatively straightforward?

Thanks for the info.

The price thing would work to my advantage as I'm in oz and the prices there are a complete rip off (not just with books!). I've got to hope that amazon or the book depository get them in and then wait a bit for them to arrive.

Roughly what percent of new books are available and is the converting a pain or relatively straightforward?

Vast majority of new books are available, but older books sometimes aren't.  I think there are around 1,000,000 books available at the moment so you will be able to find something you like.

I've found it most useful in the airport - instead of carrying multiple books around you just need your kindle.  Is a godsend if you travel a lot.

As Mike said converting is easy - sometimes the output is a bit rubbish and you have to mess around with the borders and stuff, but generally it is readable.

Out of interest can you order Amazon UK stuff from Oz (if that is what you are planning)?  I know you can't order a lot of US stuff from the UK

Other thing is photographs in books, do these appear on the kindle?

If the person that makes the ebook file includes them, they appear. I had a hell of a time finding a Sherlock Holmes with the illustrations.

The device itself is awesome, the books and the various formatting issues are doing my head in.

Well fucking pay for your books then :lol:

Fucking cocksucker gets a drivers license and now he's king shit.

Listen, twat. Someone paid for these books, and got them in this state. I'm upset for them.

And where is my Spacechem?

The device itself is awesome, the books and the various formatting issues are doing my head in.

Well fucking pay for your books then :lol:

Listen, twat.

:lol: That sounds hilarious coming from you.

Open the bad books with MS Word and tidy the spacing up yourself.

I'll gift Spacechem when you deserve it :shifty:

I've seen a few people say that the Sony readers are better, but that was before the latest Kindles were released.  One of the biggest advantages is that the Sony readers support far more formats than the Kindle, but with tools like Calibre everything can be converted to the a Kindle-friendly format so that advantage is kind of moot.

• 5 months later...