James Tomkins

Dave

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Newcastle-transfer-gossip-Bid-for-James-Tomkins-West-Ham-defender-is-rejected-article842557.html

Newcastle move for Hammers' Tomkins

Published 22:30 13/12/11 By Football Spy

West Ham have rejected a £2.5million bid from Newcastle for James Tomkins.

But the Hammers are still facing a battle to convince the highly-rated defender to sign a new contract.

Manager Sam Allardyce is determined to keep the 22-year-old and snubbed Newcastle’s offer, which was made over the weekend.

Allardyce's Magpies counterpart Alan Pardew, a former West Ham boss, had targeted Tomkins after losing centre-back Steven Taylor for the rest of the season with an Achilles injury.

Tomkins, who has been with the London club since the age of seven, has been in talks over a new deal but is keen on a return to the Premier League following Hammers' relegation last season.

Newcastle could come back with another offer in the New Year, while QPR are also huge admirers of the player.

“We’ve been negotiating with him and will continue that in January. I am optimistic," said Allardyce.

“We can ill afford to lose any players at this stage of the season.”

Tomkins has over two years remaining on his current deal.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/1732/220pxdiscusthrowercopen.jpg

From a recently-bumped thread on KUMB:

Very interesting to see what was put last year. "League 2 standard" "Will never make it", etc... I know it's the Championship and not the PL, but I knew in time, I knew he'd improve. Class player with maybe a little error (nothing like Wolves or Villa yet) in him from time to time, but will only improve further. Class act.

:undecided:

Can't say I paid much attention to his performances last season (well I paid attention to West Ham's shitness) or this season but the general consensus seems to be he's s*** so I'll just go along with that.....

He'd be excellent with Colo. An example of a young, talented centre half struggled by being paired with s***. Steven Taylor being the classic example.

Funny Taylor managed to look bad alongside Coloccini last season. As usual it's always somebody else's fault.

Doesn't look good on paper, but I'll back the scouts/staff until they start making poor signings.

Perch? Obertan? Gosling? Campbell/Ireland/Kuqi?

Marveaux? (too soon?)

If this is true, and it may just be Tomkin's agent spotting an opportunity to get him a better deal by mentioning us, I wonder if we're going after him because he is the player we want above all else, or because he's not signing a new contract and we see an opportunity.

Nowhere near as bad a player as people in here are making out. As you'd expect from a young defender, he had a bad time last season when West Ham's defence were almost constantly under pressure without any semblance of organisation or leadership, but he's looked much more steady and confident when I've seen him this year (I watch West Ham quite regularly since my father in law is a fan of theirs). He'll do well alongside Coloccini and is a better option than Williamson if you ask me.

Doesn't look good on paper, but I'll back the scouts/staff until they start making poor signings.

Marveaux? (too soon?)

Yeah, same with Gosling and Obertan really. I was being facetious. I just don't buy into this 'we don't make bad signings any more' thing that seems to be spreading.

He'd be excellent with Colo. An example of a young, talented centre half struggled by being paired with s***. Steven Taylor being the classic example.

Funny Taylor managed to look bad alongside Coloccini last season. As usual it's always somebody else's fault.

I'm talking about progress being stunted from a young age due to not playing with a quality defender. As Tomkins is still 22, he has time to develop still.

When I was referring to Taylor, I was referring to his ability to be top class. For example, at 20 he was probably as good as Terry was at that age. However, Terry played with Desailly at a young age and this helped him develop. Taylor didn't have the opportunity to play with anyone of any quality or experience.

I'm not suggesting Tomkins will be world class, but next to Colo he has all the tools to be a good player. A bit like when Bramble played with Woodgate and just got ordered around and used his physical quality.

A lot of development is due to the person of course as you refer to. However, having someone to learn off and guide you when you first come into the team, is also vital.

Nowhere near as bad a player as people in here are making out. As you'd expect from a young defender, he had a bad time last season when West Ham's defence were almost constantly under pressure without any semblance of organisation or leadership, but he's looked much more steady and confident when I've seen him this year (I watch West Ham quite regularly since my father in law is a fan of theirs). He'll do well alongside Coloccini and is a better option than Williamson if you ask me.

And has significantly higher resale value... :razz:

Kuqi was a stop gap. Gosling and Campbell were free transfers and Ireland was only a loan signing.

Admittedly Perch and Obertan have been poor, I supposed it depends on the market. I don't know which scout is looking at Tomkins, probably not Carr so may not be great.

Kuqi was a stop gap. Gosling and Campbell were free transfers and Ireland was only a loan signing.

Admittedly Perch and Obertan have been poor, I supposed it depends on the market. I don't know which scout is looking at Tomkins, probably not Carr so may not be great.

What do you mean by that?