R.I.P. Vaclav Havel, father of the Velvet Revolution

bulivye

Wouldn't expect there to be a whole load of people on here who were particularly bothered by the death of Havel. :dontknow:

they should be thanking him for opening up prague & access to all the hot czech women!  how many on here have been to a stag do over in the cz rep?

Wouldn't expect there to be a whole load of people on here who were particularly bothered by the death of Havel. :dontknow:

they should be thanking him for opening up prague & access to all the hot czech women!  how many on here have been to a stag do over in the cz rep?

Dwarf sex is a speciality there as well, apparently.

Dwarf sex is a speciality there as well, apparently.

God bless Haval.  :icon_salut:

As I am an old man I actually remember when he was the coolest of the world leaders. He did his time in prison and made it through memorizing Velvet Underground lyrics FFS. He wrote the "power of powerlessness" and essays on resistance and the human spirit that were very important in the end of the Cold War.

RIP

Well, I was sad. Great man, who changed the world for the better through sheer stubborn integrity.

So was I. Come to think of it, the kids on here would do well to take note that the over-used term "legend" applies more to the likes of Vaclav Havel than it would ever do to the likes of your average shite celebrity, etc...

Well, I was sad. Great man, who changed the world for the better through sheer stubborn integrity.

So was I. Come to think of it, the kids on here would do well to take note that the over-used term "legend" applies more to the likes of Vaclav Havel than it would ever do to the likes of your average s**** celebrity, etc...

That whole period of history is absolutely fascinating, the phrase sheer stubborn integrity is perfect for him, talk about a man for the times.

So was I. Come to think of it, the kids on here would do well to take note that the over-used term "legend" applies more to the likes of Vaclav Havel than it would ever do to the likes of your average s**** celebrity, etc...

That whole period of history is absolutely fascinating, the phrase sheer stubborn integrity is perfect for him, talk about a man for the times.

I was lucky enough to be living in Berlin and travelling around eastern Europe in the period when everything changed. I was in Prague on the fourth and fifth days of the Velvet Revolution, and joined the huge crowd that was demonstrating on Wenceslas Square each afternoon. Havel was speaking from a balcony, there were armoured cars parked down gloomy side streets, and half a million people clustered in the square, emanating an extraordinarily powerful mix of hope and fear. One of the best days of my life.

I was lucky enough to be living in Berlin and travelling around eastern Europe in the period when everything changed. I was in Prague on the fourth and fifth days of the Velvet Revolution, and joined the huge crowd that was demonstrating on Wenceslas Square each afternoon. Havel was speaking from a balcony, there were armoured cars parked down gloomy side streets, and half a million people clustered in the square, emanating an extraordinarily powerful mix of hope and fear. One of the best days of my life.

Seriously, that must have been truly awesome. Not knowing exactly just how historically significant everyday events were, but still feeling a buzz of excitement as you walked about.

Seriously, that must have been truly awesome. Not knowing exactly just how historically significant everyday events were, but still feeling a buzz of excitement as you walked about.

Oh, the Wall had already been breached, I'd been at democratic rallies in Budapest as long ago as the previous May, and it was pretty clear to me by that point that nothing would ever be the same again. My mates and I were more optimistic than the Czechs around us in the crowd. "Don't worry," I kept saying, "this is your time."

But I probably still wouldn't have predicted that Havel would make it to the Castle.

How did you come to be there?

I was living in Berlin and two friends and I spent time together exploring the world beyond the Wall and looking for daft adventures. On this occasion we were on our way back to Berlin from a road trip to Transylvania. Downside was we missed the fall of the Wall, but did have the uniquely weird experience of arriving back home in a city that had changed forever while we were on the road.