Newcastle United 2 - 3 West Brom - 12/21/11 - Post-match reaction from page 44

Beren

I can't understand anyone complaining about the quality of the game last night, the pace of it was breathtaking at times and must have been a superb game for a neutral (or WBA fan) to watch. Unfortunately from our point of view it resulted in a very open game which suited them perfectly as over the last few years they have become a very accomplished "away" side.

Vukic looked excellent at times but Cabaye's absence did result in a a lot of space being conceded in the middle.

An earlier post described Demba Ba as "world class", while superlatives can be thrown around far too easily on here, that is probably no exaggeration.

Can anyone remember the Leazes woodwork being hit so many times in 3 consecutive games ?

Also surprised to hear people saying how bad the atmosphere was, there were the usual groaners around who moan win lose or draw but generally I thought the atmosphere was very upbeat, a lot more noise and singing than usual and an absolutely superb crowd for a midweek match at this time of year.

The recent run of results is draining confidence and Pardew needs to try and juggle things to put some freshness into their play and attitude.

What was the just cant get enough chant?

I couldn't work out what was being said, too many drunks slurring their words. It was like having Malcolm McDonald round for Christmas.

What was the just cant get enough chant?

I couldn't work out what was being said, too many drunks slurring their words. It was like having Malcolm McDonald round for Christmas.

"Demba's scored one since Ramadan, he just can't get enough, he just can't get enough. Demba's scored two since Ramadan, he just can't enough, he just can't get enough..." up to the number of goals he's scored "and he just just can't seem to get enough of doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo dooo dooo dooo doo doo Dem-ba-ba doo doo doo doo..."

3 games running where the oppo has sat deep and challenged us to try and break them down and hit them on the break and we haven't been able to do it.

Missed Cabaye massively as we were too anxious and needed to slow things down and be a bit more patient in the build up.

MoTD made Vuckic look good whereas i thought the game passed him by and he looked lost leaving massive gaps in midfield for them to exploit.

To be fair we were able to break them down, we did get 2 goals, with Ba in the team scoring isn't a problem it's the defending the break and just giving away possession.

Vuckic isn't a central midfielder, he's Ben Arfa like in the lack of work rate and defensive stuff but class going forward, with Tiote having a shocker he was made to look bad, reckon if Tiote had been his normal self he'd have probably done even more. Had a quality pass in him.

Completely stopped rolling it out to the full-backs for them to actually start some football via the midfield. Seemingly now content to just fucking hoof it up towards Ba and/or Best.

Not a co-incidence that results have disappeared since he stopped doing it.

This is part of my issue with the Ba/Best thing..It's just too tempting/lazy/ to just lug it long IN THEIR GENERAL DIRECTION. :lol:

Of course building from the back was a lot easier with Enrique.**

Fwiw, Vuckic was nowhere near 'class' last night imo. He had two great shots and played a good through ball for Ba. He also spent most of the game being easily marked,making no attempt to get into space or receive a pass from our defence,which was sorely needed.

Fwiw, Vuckic was nowhere near 'class' last night imo. He had two great shots and played a good through ball for Ba. He also spent most of the game being easily marked,making no attempt to get into space or receive a pass from our defence,which was sorely needed.

Tbf, Simpson and Raylor were far too eager to pump the long ball (and Krul). I agree with you though, somewhat.

It was colo and perch as well,and it's not like Vuckic was showing for it and they ignored him,he made little effort to make himself available from the off.

Vuckic is a 19 year old kid who was making his first Premiership start, in that respect he played well and did enough to make a case for further starts but probably in a different position to last night.

Fwiw, Vuckic was nowhere near 'class' last night imo. He had two great shots and played a good through ball for Ba.

He wasn't class but he created more chances in 1 game than Obertan has in the whole season

It was colo and perch as well,and it's not like Vuckic was showing for it and they ignored him,he made little effort to make himself available from the off.

Vuckic is a 19 year old kid who was making his first Premiership start, in that respect he played well and did enough to make a case for further starts but probably in a different position to last night.

I realise all of that, for me showing yourself for a pass and finding space is pretty fundamental whoever you are, particularly a CM,so you may be right in him needing a different position.

Totally agree with that. Needs to work on his off the ball game if he is going to play CM.

The defence looks rocky at the moment, but at the same time, we have to give a bit of credit to the opposition. All three goals were well crafted. For the first, a great through ball and a great finish. Second, the free kick landed in just the right area. For the third, a good run, a good cross, a good knock back and a good finish.

The back four weren't as solid as they have been, the midfield were half a yard off the pace and Demba was pretty much our only striker.

Pardew made one or two changes that for me weren't quite right but hey, we've lost four games from like 17/18 - that's pretty fucking awesome.

Atmosphere was flat - as per usual when we're trailing (football pet hate) and every time it picked up it seemingly got flattened by another West Brom goal.

Keep the crowd quiet = win the game to a lot of clubs who come to St James' and despite West Brom looking more suspect than Swansea defensively, they attacked with a far greater level of threat, and consequently won the game.

Stewards tend to be jobsworth wankers and thankfully I have good lads around me with a similar frame of mind shall we say.

All in all, it was probably the right result.