2011: The Year In Review

GM

A really sad and sobering round-up from the New York Times on musicians who passed away in 2011 as a musical collage. Amazing array of talent:

The Music They Made

Jerry Leiber and Nick Ashford had a lot in common. They wrote some of the most enduring songs in the pop canon, and each was half of a legendary songwriting team: Leiber and Stoller, Ashford and Simpson. They also happened to die on the same day, Aug. 22, 2011, creating the intriguing duo of Ashford and Leiber. And so they are a part of The Music They Made. This is a mix that celebrates those surprising connections. It unites “Yakety Yak” and the Bush Tetras, Amy Winehouse and Marvin Gaye, 1977 punk and “Penny Lane.” But the true common thread? They were all amazing artists who died this year. Wm. Ferguson

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2011/12/22/magazine/100000001239922/the-music-they-made.html

Also in terms of news, it's crazy how much stuff has happened this year.  Major news headlines on events that will shape our lives for years to come in way we haven't even fathomed yet.

Found this quite interesting: http://www.guardian.co.uk/interactive/2011-news-year-in-review

Favourite albums of mine this year: The Horrors, Colourmusic, M83, Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, Atlas Sound, James Blake, Radiohead.

Lykke Li, Veronica Maggio, Niki & The Drum (their two EPs), Florence + The Machine, Kasabian, Glasvegas, White Lies.

Went for albums and films as I'm bored as fuck.

Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver

Arctic Monkeys – Suck It And See

Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues

M83 - Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming

Lykke Li – Wounded Rhymes

Jay-Z & Kanye West – Watch The Throne

Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie xx - We're New Here

Burial - Street Halo EP

Metronomy -The English Riviera

Antlers - Burst Apart

The Horrors – Skying

Miles Kane – The Colour Of The Trap

James Blake – James Blake

Radiohead -The King of Limbs

Drive

Animal Kingdom

127 Hours

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Tree of life

Senna

Super 8

Hanna

Hugo

Warrior

X-Men: First Class

The Fighter

True Grit

Black Swan

The Tree of Life

Probably out on some of the dates mind.

Is it just me or has it been a dire year for films? :undecided:

Drive and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo are the only two excellent films I've seen this year, possibly including Planet of the Apes as well. I've yet to see Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy mind, which looks fantastic, and Moneyball and 50/50 sounds decent as well.

Been a fascinating year internationally, so much has been going on. Protest has been rife throughout 2011, Gadaffi, Bin Laden and others have met their demise, but the results of these uprisings may not be seen for years.

I've yet to see Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy mind, which looks fantastic

Best film in years and didn't suffer from over hype. You should definitely see it.

Not out here until Christmas Day, been looking forward to it for quite some time.

I've yet to see Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy mind, which looks fantastic

Best film in years and didn't suffer from over hype. You should definitely see it.

Not out here until Christmas Day, been looking forward to it for quite some time.

Ah right, I forget that it hasn't been released for some people. I saw it September or October like :lol: but yeah, its a great film.

Apparently, NME's news story of the year is that Alex Turner and Alexa Chung broke up.

Some powerful images right there.

It's been quite a year (internationally). Some devastating things. Some really huge and important things.

Human resolve has shone this year for me.

They omitted one of this years most powerful images (for me). Not surprising as it shows the US law up to be hypocrites. The image of peaceful protesters being sprayed in the face, with pepper spray, whilst in the land of the free. One of the most powerful images for me (of 2011). Says so much about our world.

http://www.cbsnews.com/i/tim/2011/11/21/occupy_pepper_spray_AP111118053177_fullwidth_620x350.jpg

One of the best Meme's of 2011 too :lol:

Guest BooBoo

I'm a fan of your average multiplex cinema films but 2011 didn't inspire me at all. Would be pushed to pick mynfavourite film tbh as little stood out.