Windows 7 not recognising External Hard Drive

Beren

The drive does not show up.

I tried some of the solutions suggested here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/dd9cd509-f9ac-4295-a75b-863f92f5595f

Plug in and turn on the external USB hard drive

Right mouse click on My Computer

Left click on Manage

Left click on Device Manager

Expand the USB list

Find the USB device for your USB Hard Drive (in my case it was the one that had no description)

Right mouse click - Uninstall

Turn off the external USB hard drive

Turn on the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the driver

It should work

and another in Disk Management but to no avail.

Three empty 'removable disk' drives show up. When I click on any of them it says 'please insert a disk into the removable drive'. Really getting quite pissed with it now :lol:

I am no IT geek but if the HD was from 2007, would it not just be worth buying a new one anyway?

I tend to assume that technology these days isn't built to last.

Yeah, it's more that it (and my laptop) are more less filled to capacity and is my best means of transfer.

I spent most of last night using a 3GB pen drive transferring stuff, so it's okay now. Shame that the hard drive is somewhat redundant though. Seems like something Windows 7 easily could have allowed for some backwards compatibility on. Like you, they would have been urging me to buy new tech ;)

A hard drive not compatible with windows 7 makes no sense! I know WD use some crazy USB drivers but it's probably just a front to make you update. You could try running the WD smart storage software (might be called something else can't quire remember) in vista compatibility mode and see?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

A hard drive not compatible with windows 7 makes no sense! I know WD use some crazy USB drivers but it's probably just a front to make you update. You could try running the smart storage software (might be called something else can't quire remember) in vista compatibility mode and see?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

How would I do that?