Roger Tames

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just wondered what people thought of this guy. You know - the guy who does Soccer Night on ITV.

I think he's done some really good commentary for us. A lot of hair-standing-on-the-back-of-the-neck moments have Roger Tames commentary on them. He does most of the DVDs aswell. I think he's canny.

Really good commentary?

Christ on a bike he's absolutely horrendous, he ruins every single Newcastle DVD I have.

Got to agree Ally. He really annoys me. I hate the games on the DVD that he commentates on. He's on too much.

Guest smoggeordie

Really good commentary?

Christ on a bike he's absolutely horrendous, he ruins every single Newcastle DVD I have.

This

I hate the way he does the voice overs for games when like Keegan was a player. Correct me if i'm wrong, but surely he wouldn't have been around back then to do the commentating? He's not exactly a dinosaur.

Guest Toon Barmy

he's been at tyne tees since at least 1977 because he interviewed Muhammad Ali when he came to Newcastle.  So yes he has commentated on those classic clips.

he's been at tyne tees since at least 1977 because he interviewed Muhammad Ali when he came to Newcastle.  So yes he has commentated on those classic clips.

Aye but did he actually commentate, or has he, in 2004 or whenever sat with a video clip and a microphone and pretended to be there? Thats the way it comes across like.

Guest Toon Barmy

some he was commentating live, others not.  Doubt they'd bother rerecording commentary years later.  He has been the main commentator for tyne tees for 30 years.  And like it or not, Tyne tees film all the games for NUFC and make all the dvd highlights packages.  that's why you always hear his voice.

Guest smoggeordie

Who's that other twat on the DVDs that sounds really annoying? Talks really quick then goes 'and it's one nil Newcassssssssstaaaal!'.

accross to bellamyyyyyyy and thats a hat trickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk from the league cup 4-2 brentford game

Who's that other twat on the DVDs that sounds really annoying? Talks really quick then goes 'and it's one nil Newcassssssssstaaaal!'.

accross to bellamyyyyyyy and thats a hat trickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk from the league cup 4-2 brentford game

Simon O'Rourke.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Met him the other day when I was at work. Was dying to get him to say "and that's a goal from Andy Cole".

That phrase is one the best memories of my youth

Really good commentary?

This

Thirded *shudders* Good job they keep the original commentary when we have been live on tv (sky) well most of the time they leave it.

Tames sometimes used to to stand on an old bog roof  with his cameraman inthe west corner of the Gallowgate when filming news snippets for TTTV.

A song of the era was "we've scored more goals than you ..........." to the tune of the British Airways advert, the crowd used to sing "we've got more hair than you Roger Tames". Class.

Guest Gemmill

Tames is awful.  Let's face it, he's been at Tyne Tees since the 70s, if he was any good he would have been poached by someone. 

Aye but did he actually commentate, or has he, in 2004 or whenever sat with a video clip and a microphone and pretended to be there? Thats the way it comes across like.

Worst offenders for that are Eurosport who didnt even exist pre-1990 yet have the same bloke who voiceovers Eurogoals commentating "live" on games from 1974 world cup etc. Also sometimes will slip from voiceovering (a word?!) to commentary during eurogoals. Terrible

Guest Gemmill

Worst offenders for that are Eurosport who didnt even exist pre-1990 yet have the same bloke who voiceovers Eurogoals commentating "live" on games from 1974 world cup etc. Also sometimes will slip from voiceovering (a word?!) to commentary during eurogoals. Terrible

Archie McPherson. :lol:  He makes no apologies for it though, actually making brazen predictions of what's going to happen in 5 minutes time.  He actually takes the time out to spoil the game for anyone that hasn't seen it by all but saying "Don't worry, they've gone 1-0 down, but I'm pretty sure things'll turn out alright come full time".

In the early 90's everyone thought he was a c***.  We used to be live on ITV what seemed like every week, and I used to watch the matches again when I got home, and there was a classic.  I think we were playing Birmingham at home, ended 2-2, and this is how it happened, Roger Thames had just got the words out "great atmosphere here today at SJP", and right on cue, all you could hear was the entire ground loud as F***, as if we knew he had just said that,  "ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGER THAMES IS A WAAAAAANKER, IS A WAAAAAAAAAAANKER."  :lol:  He didn't say another  word for what seemed like about 2 minutes.

I remember we were playing Boro away and he walked past the Holgate End who were clapping him, and he gave some sort of royal wave back to them, and it was set in a lot of peoples minds he was pro-Boro.  His commentary was tedious as well, the amount of times someone used to score and he'd say "Oh that's meat and drink to Mick Quinn/David Kelly/Marco Gabbiadini/Paul Wilkinson/fill in any c*** with a reasonable scoring record" 

I seen him playing squash at Eldon Rec one time with some remarkably fit bird, and I said "areet", and the baldy c*** ignored me.  All in all a cockney wank as far as I'm concerned.

Wasn't expecting a reaction like this. I like him! :lol:

Simon O'Rourke, the other Soccer Night guy, yeah - he is bloody awful. And a smoggy.

The 05/06 season review is absoutely rotten for commentary, because you've either got Dean Saunders or Warren Barton doing that microphone-from-a-studio-pretending-to-be-there thing, which is vile.

But Roger Tames, i think he's good. :oops:

Guest Magnetic North

Tames typifies the inarticulate local media person. The man has “insecure loser and I know it” etched all over his follicle-free scalp.