Loan deals

Dave

Not for the first time, Mark Douglas in this morning's Journal is saying we aren't interested in loans:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/01/03/newcastle-united-keeping-an-eye-on-jacob-butterfield-61634-30049958/2/

Newcastle are not looking to taking anyone on loan, with the board believing a temporary switch is not cost-effective.

Just me who thinks this approach is a bit short-sighted? If there are players out there available on loan that will improve the side or squad then why should they not be considered? I can appreciate that it could be seen as dead money - similar to renting rather than spending the money paying off a mortgage - but ultimately you still end up with a roof over your head. If anything I'd have thought the club would quite like the lack of risk involved should the deal not work out. Surely it's better to lose six months of wages than potentially a transfer fee and the associated contract.

Perhaps the Ireland loan has put them off, but who else is out there that we could/should be looking to bring in?

I thought a loan deal was right up their street, only commited to the player for a couple of months and can get rid of cost free OR if the player does well and is available we can purchase.

Seems a bit daft not to use the loan system.

I think they should only be used in exceptional circumstances to get through a crisis and for as short a term as possible.

I can see the attraction of loan deals for smaller clubs and for managers who think short term.

Not wishing to have a direct go at Sunderland but they allowed loan players to become an integral and important part of their team last season. It must however be much more difficult to try and bring in players who will blend together for the longer term when you do this and then there is the inevitable negative impact when the loan periods end.

I think we're looking longer term in squad and player investment and it's probably best to resist the short term impact a loan player could have.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Loans are good if it is an exceptional young player from a top club that you know you have no chance of buying

Knocks full time players noses out of joint and unless there is a price agreed at the start of the loan it holds the buying club to ransom a bit

im not so keen on loan deals....at least not in january.

i would rather develop some younger players of our own....ferguson, vuckic etc.

but im aware loan deals can be needed in some situations. If the right striker isn´t available this window then a loan deal will be ok. I think it is important we go all in for 7th place. That will be the key to europe but more important to show new players + our players we are heading in the right directions. No know would us expecgt us to finish higher this season....so in a couple seasons we should be able to etablish us like tottenham for example...hopefully ashley is willing to aim for top 4th. That will mean he wont sell our best players when offers come in....keep them in order to build a team like Redknapp has done.

back to loan deals....the only loan deal that would make really sense this window is to loan a "proven" striker who dont need time to settle or gain full fitness.

Loans aren't value for money as there's no opportunity to make profit on the player.

Not the individual player as such but if we end up a few places higher then we will have made more money from that.

Loans aren't value for money as there's no opportunity to make profit on the player.

Not the individual player as such but if we end up a few places higher then we will have made more money from that.

Rarely will those few places which we may or may not move up recoup the loan fee and wages of that player, so it's a no-go under the current regime.

Honestly I'm not that bothered. Loan players are available for a reason and it's quite rare that they make an immediate impact. (Someone like Sturridge being a truly exceptional case.)

And as previously mentioned they rob us of the opportunity to develop our own youth.

Don't think someone like Macheda would be any better than Best or Ameobi.

Guest Roger Kint

A club in our situation would be stupid to rule out any form of bringing in new players.

This. Perfect chance to loan a CB and buy someone to improve our attacking options seeing as Saylor is back in the summer. Unless they expect Colo to leave.....

In rpinciple the club have a point in not going for loan deals, but that's assuming we would prefer to buy players outright which I agree with. If we aren't going to buy the required signings then it's a daft policy. We need a left back and a central defender. If we can only buy one defender then we should loan another one.

Guest bimpy474

Loans are different for us now we are in the premier, to loan a player now you pay an up front loan fee and some of those fees are very high, which fatty wont pay.

When we were in the championship the fees if any would be much lower, most of time they would probably be free as its a prem club, they let their players go on loan with the club loaning them only paying the wages, and with them being youngers players to give them experience, the wages wont too high either.

A couple of loan deals couldn't hurt like. I'm all for loans mainly because they would provide much needed cover in some positions.

A permanent signing and a loan or two would do me this January.....

i so much prefer to loan players out.

We definitely don't make good use of the loan system re: outgoings. Even when we do loan players out, it tends to be right down the divisions which is not as much use as the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd loaning players to other Premier League clubs and getting top flight experience. Have we ever loaned a player to another Premier League club other than the dreaded Lua Lua incident?

characterise it as a "try before you buy" deal to Ashley, with a fixed price agreed before the duration of the loan, and he'd probably see it as a good thing. all about exploiting the idiot's miserly outlook.

You're right of course, but we're not aiming to make money from league placings, we're aiming to make money from player sales. They'll just see a loan signing as keeping a potential sale out of the side for 6 months.

i so much prefer to loan players out.

We definitely don't make good use of the loan system re: outgoings. Even when we do loan players out, it tends to be right down the divisions which is not as much use as the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd loaning players to other Premier League clubs and getting top flight experience. Have we ever loaned a player to another Premier League club other than the dreaded Lua Lua incident?

Robert to Portsmouth?