Bizarre stuff that's happened to you

Wullie

Found myself thoroughly bemused tonight - walking home from work near City Stadium, struggling to walk in the ridiculous gale force winds and holding onto my earphones to keep them in place, some studenty looking bloke walking towards me speaks to me, I thought he was going to ask me for directions or something so I took them out - "Can I talk about the Book of Mormon with you" ??? and sure enough, he's holding the Book of Mormon.

I think I looked at him like he'd told me his favourite player was Gabriel Obertan and politely declined, when I looked back, he was just continuing to make his way down the road rather than chasing any of the other people going that way, must have just seen me in passing and thought I looked the type who's so desperate to join a cult that I'm going to stand in the middle of a fucking hurricane and join up.

Anyone else got any stuff that's happened to you recently that's made you think: "Did I just make that up? ???"

More of a happenstance this, but so fuck.

I met my girlfriend when I was 22 and she was 19, never laying eyes on each other before then, or so we thought...

Last year while looking at some of her old photographs, I spotted one of a sports day, and I instantly recognised the school, it was my old primary school, aha!

I gazed upon the picture, taking in the nostalgic details. It was a picture of my girlfriend, gracefully doing a shuttle run with a steely determination on her face. For reasons unknown, I cast my gaze upon the background of the picture, which contained the image of yours truly, eyeing up his girlfriend of the future ( I wasn't, I was merely watching the race).

I had inadvertently become part of her past while also playing a (major) part in her present (future).

Here it is...

http://i42.tinypic.com/2e31q48.jpg

Me in my England full strip with my brother. Leanne is the blonde girl.

Found myself thoroughly bemused tonight - walking home from work near City Stadium, struggling to walk in the ridiculous gale force winds and holding onto my earphones to keep them in place, some studenty looking bloke walking towards me speaks to me, I thought he was going to ask me for directions or something so I took them out - "Can I talk about the Book of Mormon with you" ??? and sure enough, he's holding the Book of Mormon.

I think I looked at him like he'd told me his favourite player was Gabriel Obertan and politely declined, when I looked back, he was just continuing to make his way down the road rather than chasing any of the other people going that way, must have just seen me in passing and thought I looked the type who's so desperate to join a cult that I'm going to stand in the middle of a fucking hurricane and join up.

Anyone else got any stuff that's happened to you recently that's made you think: "Did I just make that up? ???"

It's a sign Wulls. :)

I went to visit my friend several years ago, walked into his garden to go round the path to knock on the door and ended up confronting a Peccary pig which originates from South America, he attacked me and I have a scar on my right thigh the size of a 5p coin where his fang went into my leg, he proceeded to chase me as I turned and ran only to chase me 50 metres down the garden path where I then hurdled the gate.

To get into the house we had to phone my friend who came out to collect the pig and go put it in his spare room (it lived in doors)

For some reason and I'm not quite sure why, but I now absolutely hate pigs.

A few years ago I did a trek in Nepal and we had a couple of days in Kathmandu afterwards.  I needed to go to the bank, but the one round the corner from the hotel was broken.  There are a lot of street children in Kathmandu and sometimes they'll act as guides for you, for a few rupees.  So anyway this kid or about 8 or 9 (it's possible he might have been older, but malnourished) comes up to me and says, in perfect English "Follow me sir, there is a bank nearby".  In the 5 minutes or so it took to get there he chattered away, again in perfect English and started a game of capital cities - I name a country and he tells me the capital.  I started with the easy ones, UK, America etc and was trying to get more difficult, but he was getting them all with no hesitation.  Eventually I asked him the capital of Kazakhstan and he didn't know that one so we had a bit of a laugh about that.

Once I'd got my money he tried the scam I was expecting, which is basically along the lines of he needs to buy milk for his baby sister, takes me to shop, I buy milk, go on my merry way, he takes it back and halves the money with the shopkeeper.  I told him just to take the money (80 rupees/75p) and he proceeded to lecture me about how giving money to street children encourages begging.  At this stage I realised what an incredibly bright kid he was - I never thought I'd engage in a conversation about the rights and wrongs of begging with a Nepali street child.

So, fast forward three years and I am back in Kathmandu again, this time at a temple about 6 or 7 miles away from the hotel.  There was the usual gaggle of people selling tat and we were working our way past them to get to the bus and go back to the hotel.  There was a tug on my arm and I turned round to find a Nepali kid there, who greeted me with the phrase "Give me a country and I will tell you the capital city".  I was canny freaked out by this and I can't say for certain it was the same kid - it might be a normal thing they do over there, but he seemed to single me out from all the people that were there.  If I'd had my wits about me I'd have started of with Kazakhstan to see if it was him or not :)

two similar ones.....

on hols in ibiza, talking to some bird from sheffield "i know someone from newcastle, do you know them ?", "oh aye i'm sure to"..when she mentioned his name i was able to give a description of him and his job. i was working with him the week before.

at hampden for an england/scotland game in 1985, some local spies our union jack with newcastle on it, p*ssed out of his head, "my sister's living in newcastle do you know her ?", "likely !", "she works in the newsagents at fawdon metro"...."err aye, she served us this morning"

Here's my contribution and it involves the poster Alan Shearer 9.

Basically, it was during my uni days. When I first moved into my accommodation in first year in September, I was speaking to one of my flatmates about football and all that. He mentions his mate is a Newcastle fan and says his name is "Greg". I had added Alan Shearer 9 on MSN a few months before uni even started and found out his first name was actually Greg.

So after my flatmate had told me about his Newcastle supporting mate, Greg, I put the two things together and deduced I lived with Alan Shearer 9's mate. Small world.

I was at a festival in Germany a couple of years ago and I was talking to this Swiss guy who was a Newcastle fan.  It was the day Sir Bobby died so we had a drink for him.

Nearly a year later I bumped into the same guy in the Head of Steam!  He'd come over to see the Boro match when Shearer was in charge.

Think I've told this story on here before, but anyway, it's one of double coincidence. I was hitch-hiking with some friends and we arrived in a youth hostel in Nice. Booked in and were just leaving to explore the town when a lad entered the room and started unpacking. It was my old neighbour from Whitley Bay! So we all went sightseeing together. Some months later, one of the girls--a Lithuanian--I'd been hitching with visited me in Newcastle. We went out with my old neighbour and hit some bars. We went to Popolo's and my hitching friend suddenly screamed and started waving to a barmaid... who turned out to be her old schoolmate... from Lithuania. So we all went back to her place. Times like that the world seems a very small place.

on hols on gran canari mid 90's loads of locals talked to me in spanish as if i was a local, then one night in a club, dancing with my girlfriend of the time i saw some lads reflection in a mirrored pillar and he's gesturing at me, i getsure back, he gives me the finger, i flip the finger back, he makes a wanker sign, i go over and he greets me like a friend, had to get his mate who spoke english to explain that i wasn't his friend but a couple more said i was very similar looking to their mate.

I went to get a refund for something I'd bought a girlfriend I'd since broken up with, and it was her who served me in the shop for the refund.

And before any smartarses ask what specification dildo it was, I'll reveal that it was a set of iPod speakers.

Was on a weekend away, in Paris, with my other half. We'd not been going out long (year or so) so it was a fair few years ago (about 6).

We were on the Eiffel Tower and decided to walk down the stairs rather than lift.

We got to talking about family and stuff and part of the convo I mentioned one of my cousins that I hadn't seen in ages. I think we were talking about cute kids etc. And I mentioned that she'd be all grown up now.

Next thing I hear is my name and low and behold that very cousin is on those very stairs on the Eiffel Tower...on her way up.

Blew my mind to say the least.

That's amazing.

was working as an english teacher in korea years back, fancied the ARSE off a lass i taught in one of my classes (ADULT classes i have to add) but did nowt about it primarily as i wasn't sure if i was gonna get fired or not...anyways she upped sticks and fucked off to live in seoul (population what 14 million or so) and i missed my opportunity to ask her out on her leaving do due to some annoying cunt doing something annoying

lo and behold i went up to seoul about 6 weeks later for the millenium NYE celebrations, having not given this girl another thought, anyways we sat and drank in a bar in the main area where they ring this bell for most of the day, as we walked out about an hour before midnight into a street full of 1,000's of people who's the first person i see?

you got it...she was lush anarl, saw her for about a year after that :thup:

When I was young, I travelled through Europe and settled in Athens where I lived for a year.

I come from a very small village in the Lake District. So imagine my surprise when I was coming out of work in the middle of the Plaka (busy touristy part), and literally bumped into one of my old mates from said village.

We caught up and he came back to the flat me and the girlfriend were staying at. We spent the next few days drinking and having a laugh.

I used to frequent a couple of Punk Rock clubs (this was '83) in Athens. So I took my mate to a couple. In one of them there was this gorgeous Greek girl, who I'd asked one of the regulars about previously. The guy had told me that her and her boyfriend had just been to England and I assumed he meant London and thought no more of it.

When I entered the club that night with my mate, this girl clapped eyes on him and raced across the club to hug and kiss him. What?

Turns out the girl had indeed just been to England. She had been to stay with my family in the Lake District.

My brother was a fanzine writer then and had a lot of readers all over Europe. Her and her boyfriend had written and asked if they could stay etc etc.

So instantly I had new friends in Athens. What a coincidence.

I asked my brother later why, knowing I was living in Athens, he hadn't mentioned it or wrote, on the off-chance I may bump into her...he just laughed. The cunt.

Was in a hostel in Goteborg with my lass, when some guy starts staring at her, and eventually says "hello, think i used to study with you" - anyway, turned out he studied with my lass's twin sister in Holland a few year previous.

A couple of weeks later we ended up in a house party in Helsinki and the same lad was there. My lass's sister turned up later to confirm it all.

Flicking through the sky channels early one morning. Pass through the German ones (back when Sky was analogue) and see footage of my Primary school (from the time I attended) in a documentary programme.

What are the odds that a) My school is on tv b) on German tv c) that I happen to catch it at 7am?

I was walking somewhere in Chester Le Street with my mam and in conversation I happened to say "I wonder what Toby is up to?" He was my boss from the previous summer (About 8 or 9 months previous) who I'd not mentioned or gave much thought about until that very moment, literally 10 seconds before he called on my mobile to ask about my bank details for his accounts or something like that. He was a bit miffed when I replied with "Oh hi, I was just talking about you"