Away fans location

Guest Randy Savage

Guest Randy Savage

Right, I've reached 100 posts so here goes.

Basically, I don't know if you're aware, but SAFC intend to move the away fans area at the end of the season. If you've been to the Stadium of Light before, you are housed in the South Stand, but from next season, you will be housed in the upper tier of the North Stand. As an aside, currently the turnstiles for the upper and lower tiers are in close proximity, so they'll have to do something about that or things could get a bit tasty!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Stadium_of_light_Haway_the_lads.jpg

I know the away end at SJP is above home supporters and I was wondering if you had experience or heard of any problems? I know some of our supporters are not happy about being below away fans and are concerned about objects being thrown etc.

I've been to one away game at your place (April 2008, you won 2-0) and I didn't see anything like that to be honest. One of our supporters in front of me broke a few seats in annoyance at the end, but did not throw them, and I had to duck from a few coins lobbed in our direction from home fans - which were swiflty returned - but that was it.

Experiences?

Makes sense to have the away fans out of the way of the players sight lines IMO, especially when they're behind the goal, hoy em in the corner / on the side.

Remember when we played Sheff Utd IIRC when they're fans were put in 3 of the 4 corners of the ground. Proper odd.

in the 5-1 a bloke behind me missed Shola's pen as he was being stitched up just above the eye having been hit by something after Nolan's 2nd.  St. Johns wanted to cart him off to hospital but he refused and came back for the 2nd half.

Against Cardiff in the fizzy pop, a lighter narrowly missed my mate and landed at the one empty seat in the section we were in.

Both times I was sat in the Leazes middle.

Got a season ticket in leezers this season, been fine so far up until man u- We were 2 nil up and they missed a golden chance, 5 secs later a pint of piss came hurtling down getting alot of people (fortunately I somehow avoided it lol) but serious, absolute scum who do this.

I dont like sitting under the away fans though, cos youve always got the risk of this, and youve always got nob heads round you constantly turning round throw V and wanker signs, proper does my nut. Was sat next to the blackburn corner today and whole match had to put up with kids acting hard mouthing off to away fans 20 ft away.

Most of the time its OK though. A friend of mine went to milan away (when we did this kinda thing) and our fans were below home fans, whole game they were getting shit thrown down and spat on, and even at one point there were flares getting thrown down. Fortunately this will never happen in this country!

Was on the wrong end of piss cups, spit and the odd missile raining down from the away (Gimnasia) fans when I went to watch Boca, thankfully nothing hit me but having the away fans in more volatile countries - above home fans is daft.

There was a clip on YouTube from this season of Juve fans pissing on the Inter fans.

Guest Randy Savage

It seems like there have been a few incidents that some of our fans are worried about. It'll be interesting to see how the club intend to reconfigure the North Stand as they stated they would.

I do think Randy's a canny poster and I welcome any rational opposition opinion to the board, but again, is this really worthy of a thread? What next, a thread detailing how the club shop at Leeds is moving, or how the pie menu at Wigan has changed?

I do find it quite funny that these are the important posts he's been waiting all night until he reached 100 posts to make like. :lol:

Guest BooBoo

A more worrying issue is our fans getting picked off

The police do a great job on derby day. Been to the SOL 5 times, including 3 on the metro and the cops have it watertight. I'll be annoyed though if it prohibits fans going via the metro as the official buses are shite.

A more worrying issue is our fans getting picked off

The police do a great job on derby day. Been to the SOL 5 times, including 3 on the metro and the cops have it watertight. I'll be annoyed though if it prohibits fans going via the metro as the official buses are shite.

yeh they do very well with the stopping off at st peters. be interesting to see what they do next year. easy way out by having us that end is not there now (not that I've been to the other side just assuming it will be more difficult with the segregation etc

Guest Roger Kint

Putting the away fans up a height will automatically stop all pitch invasions at the Stadium of Light. Good move by sunderland tbh  :iamatwat: :iamatwat: :iamatwat:

Thought it was better having the away section in a different position y'day. Even though there was only a handful of them there.

I used to prefer it when the away fans were nearer the pitch as helped created a better atmosphere than when they're up at the top of level 7.

And this seasons decision to have the family enclosure next to the away section seems daft. Last place I'd want to be stood with my kids is next to a pissed up and lairy set of away fans.