Zambia win 2012 African Cup of Nations

TRC

Looking at their team on Wiki, only 7 of their 23 man squad were born in EG.

Be the old Spanish connection no? Bit like Angola and Portugal, Algeria and France etc etc.

Down old South America way, huh...

Guest Roger Kint

Be the old Spanish connection no? Bit like Angola and Portugal, Algeria and France etc etc.

Theres about 10 countries supplying France's teams the last 20 years.

Theres about 10 countries supplying France's teams the last 20 years.

Not quite. Almost all of these players are first or second generation immigrants. It is one of the benefits of being a colonial power. The Caribbean nations have as much claim to players like Rio and Ashley Cole as some African nations have on French players.

I am ridiculously excited about the Senegal game tomorrow night.  If Papiss and Demba don't start.......

Cisse will likely start, don't know about Ba though as Niang will be up front considering he's captain and the manager may prefer Sow over him.

It'll either be; Cisse - Niang - Sow or Cisse - Niang - Ba.

I still think Ba will play in this match though whether he's starting or coming on later on in the game.

I am ridiculously excited about the Senegal game tomorrow night.  If Papiss and Demba don't start.......

Cisse will likely start, don't know about Ba though as Niang will be up front considering he's captain and the manager may prefer Sow over him.

I still think Ba will play in this match though whether he's starting or coming on later on in the game.

Could all four start? I noticed Sow was given 7. Could he play in midfield?

Can't see not starting Ba, would be very brave on the coaches part. He should drop Niang if anyone, but if he is capo.....

Coulibaly (sp) has 9 dosnt he, and is a veteran, does he not start these days?

Could all four start? I noticed Sow was given 7. Could he play in midfield?

Can't see not starting Ba, would be very brave on the coaches part. He should drop Niang if anyone, but if he is capo.....

Coulibaly (sp) has 9 dosnt he, and is a veteran, does he not start these days?

Yeah, Niang really should be dropped considering the other options to them but it seems unlikely.

They don't have many midfielders in their squad so who knows what they'll play, they may even put five up front. Ha!

SENEGAL vs. ZAMBIA

A

21/01/2012

22H:00

Bata

----------------

COTE D’IVOIRE vs. SUDAN

B

22/01/2012

17H:00

Malabo

Is that 22:00 KO in English time?

Sorted it above mate

both games on ITV4 Saturday is 21:00 here and Sunday 16:00

Sweet thanks alot mate. Was looking forward to watching Ba anyway, but now my excitement has grown to unprecedented proportions!

the game (Senegal v Zambia) on Sat is not on ITV4... Its on Eurosport at 10pm...(UK)

20:55Live Africa Cup of Nations

Senegal v Zambia(Kick-off 9.00pm).

http://tvlistings.guardian.co.uk/text-only/?tvgChannelName=British+Eurosport&tvgBroadcaster=UKSkyCable&tvgRegion=London&tvgFlagFilter=&tvgDayOffset=1f

Guest MrSundlofer

Demba Ba didn't start a game for Senegal in the qualification. 2 subs on and scored one late goal. It will most likely be Niang - Cissé - Sow.

In the qualification:

Niang 4 starts 5 goals.

Cissé 4 starts 4 goals.

Sow 5 starts 4 goals.

No TV coverage anywhere in this godforsaken heck hole I take it?

:yao: ACoN should have invited Mexico. We'd get it all.

I can't imagine there will be a second of coverage or highlights.

Positive spin: often this means that there'll be free online streaming that isn't even illegal.

Was reading an article in the i I think earlier in the week about Zambia and the poignancy of this match vs Senegal. Was it something like 20 years ago they lost a fair few players when their plane exploded on the way to play Senegal? Lost what they considered to be extremely promising players.

Was reading an article in the i I think earlier in the week about Zambia and the poignancy of this match vs Senegal. Was it something like 20 years ago they lost a fair few players when their plane exploded on the way to play Senegal? Lost what they considered to be extremely promising players.

They essentially lost the entire side except for Kalusha Bwalya, who is their best player ever. That team was easily one of the best in Africa at the time. Despite this, Bwalya led the team to the 1994 ACON final where they lost to Nigeria. Thier football never recovered. However, the team looked very promise at the 2010 edition and would have beaten us in the quarters if not for Enyeama being the penalty master (saved several and slotted the winner home himself). I would tip them to get out of that group and possibly beat CIV in the quarters. Interestingly, Gabon, the nation is which the plane crashed, is one of the hosts for this tournament.